How did you overcome your fear of riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How did you overcome your fear of riding?

motorchick

Not too long ago I gotten into a bit of a wipe out. Was okay, except for some bruises and especially a "bruised ego". Recently, I've been encountering some fear of riding roaming around in my mind and some anxiety too. We've been blessed with some beautiful weather and I find myself being reluctant to ride. Is it just me, or has anyone else been through this as well? If so, what did you do to overcome it?

Thanking in advance for your support.

Not too long ago I gotten into a bit of a wipe out. Was okay, except for some bruises and especially a "bruised ego". Recently, I've been encountering some fear of riding roaming around in my mind and some anxiety too. We've been blessed with some beautiful weather and I find myself being reluctant to ride. Is it just me, or has anyone else been through this as well? If so, what did you do to overcome it?

Sorry for what happen... Been there done that when I was hit from behind. I am a firm believer that you need to just get back out there and ride...Do short rides to start but you must break the fear of riding or it can turn out worse..
You can do it!! Best of luck.

What caused you to wipe out? Figure that out and avoid doing that again. Sound simple? It is. I've wiped out a lot (track). Only thing that scares me is not knowing what I did wrong, as then how do you correct it without knowing what caused it?

Brakes and throttle are your friend. Treat then nicely. Doesn't mean hesitantly. Bike will do exactly what you tell it to do, and only that.

Go riding with some solid riders. Ask for their tips, and their help. Or look into some more training. Most schools have intermediate courses.

Just ride it out. Keep riding don't listen to the person that said ride scared and don't ever ride with them lmao signs of a bad rider.
I had a accident where a left hand turner went in front of me and got banged up pretty good. Got back on my bike a month later when I healed and every time a car was turning left it scared me had flash backs, but I got over it and it made me a better rider now I analyze cars more and what not.
Just keep riding! Have fun!

Were you scared from the first back after the accident? What mind set did were you on and what did you say to yourself to overcome your fear?

BTW, I welcome all positive support. I like to keep an open-mind and hear everyone's thoughts and experiences.

Just ride it out. Keep riding don't listen to the person that said ride scared and don't ever ride with them lmao signs of a bad rider.
I had a accident where a left hand turner went in front of me and got banged up pretty good. Got back on my bike a month later when I healed and every time a car was turning left it scared me had flash backs, but I got over it and it made me a better rider now I analyze cars more and what not.
Just keep riding! Have fun!

Were you scared from the first back after the accident? What mind set did were you on and what did you say to yourself to overcome your fear?

BTW, I welcome all positive support. I like to keep an open-mind and hear everyone's thoughts and experiences.
Course it was scary having flash backs but they went away pretty quick I watch drivers face and wheel position and also always have an escape route and shift down for extra power if needed to get out of a sticky situation. Just told my self to ride!!! And I did, gotta live life like today is your last day or else it will be lame,that's my motto

Eveyone is gonna die and 99 percent of us wont die the way we think we will. So believe you are invincible ,always be improving your skills and be respectful of the road and what you are riding

LOL, riding is very dangerous. Just be in denial that anything bad will happen to YOU. Denial, when honed to perfection, will allow you to ride without protective gear. That's a great place to be. And don't forget the Golden Rule: Bad Things Happen To Other People. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
There was an incident years ago where a rider lost a limb in a left-turn accident (think it might have been on this board) that shook me up more than any close scrape of my own ever has. It affected my riding in a bad way (became very distracted) and I ended up riding much less. The feelings faded with time but it left me with strong opinions on farkles/riding gear that reduce your visibility in any way

^GAAA! I'm sick to my stomach. Anybody want to buy a small fleet of bikes??

sure but how do I get the small penis and desperation smell out of the seats?

:lmao:

oh, wait, why you rascal you got me again! How you roll ***** into your rejoinders never gets old:)

First off, I am by no means an expert. I think by "ride scared", the poster means defensively. Just be prepared for anything. Believe you are "invisible " is what, I think, Sonny meant. Riding is not without it's dangers, but not riding is even more dangerous to my mental health.
And if you haven't already met Inreb, he's just kidding. I hope.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Hey motorhunk can you pull sonny off of me? No homo.

First off, I am by no means an expert. I think by "ride scared", the poster means defensively. Just be prepared for anything. Believe you are "invisible " is what, I think, Sonny meant. Riding is not without it's dangers, but not riding is even more dangerous to my mental health.

I'm sure "ride scared" meant ride defensively and always know one's surroundings with caution.

As for 'inreb', I think he was trying to spice things up. I appreciate his mind-set as to not let fear set in and take riding with pleasures and with a sense of humour...

Hey motorhunk can you pull sonny off of me? No homo.

Funny you say that....I was just noticing fjbabe, crusingrrl, motorchick....was thinking about changing my handle....motorhunk is good, or cyclestud....although FatJoe is more fitting. Hey! Hey! Hey!
Sonny mounts you any more, and he's gonna have to add your name to his signature's list of rides! No homo.

Once you eliminate alcohol, lack of training, excessive speed, and insufficient gear riding gets pretty safe. Not bullet-proof, but far from the hackneyed "33 times more dangerous than driving a car". I always feel a little twinge when heading out but I know it will go quickly and that it will be followed by hours of sublime pleasure. Read Hough. Do some short, quiet Sunday rides, parking lot practice, repeated circuit of your neighbourhood concentrating on perfect form. Your confidence will return.

(N.B. there's no hurry. This is still a lesser time to be out: potholes, ice, salt, drivers not expecting motorcycles...)

There was an incident years ago where a rider lost a limb in a left-turn accident (think it might have been on this board) that shook me up more than any close scrape of my own ever has. It affected my riding in a bad way (became very distracted) and I ended up riding much less. The feelings faded with time but it left me with strong opinions on farkles/riding gear that reduce your visibility in any way

Actually I figured out what the incident was - since it's almost exactly the six year anniversary, figured I should link it. It was specifically this account that made an impression on me: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/archiv...-infront-of-me&p=842528&viewfull=1#post842528

Back
Top Bottom