How did you overcome your fear of riding? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How did you overcome your fear of riding?

is this a normal feeling in your first days or should I consider trading the bike in for a 125?

Should be normal. Think of all the little triumphs you've had in life. Everything you've done in the past that was worth doing you had to do for the first time. But you got thru it. Draw on those experiences. This too will pass.

I find myself afraid to keep my hand off the clutch lever and literally let the bike go "full throttle". I had a couple close calls stalling in second gear and coming to some pretty abrupt stops while moving. What could cause the bike to stall in second or a higher gear? As long as the bike is moving, isn't it supposed to not stall? Or do I have to give it gas to prevent a stall?

i found myself completely losing track of the gears sometimes and forgetting what I was in, then when I let the clutch lever out, it seemed like a crapshoot as to whether I'd engine brake, stall, or whatever. And I had like, a delivery truck on my tail through Rosedale. The bike kept engine braking so I must have been in the wrong gear. I'm just thankful he didn't hit me in that scenario.

I spent a couple years overseas as kid (11-13 years old) and learned to ride an old school Vespa on some crazy tight congested streets with no gear and of course no license...I never really had any fear from the start, never having gone down there was a big confident booster especially when the Vespa felt like a Harley because I weighed less than a hundred pounds.

For me riding was just a natural thing to do. Then again I'm a very bold, no ****s given type of personality. I got my bike here at 19 6 years ago and rode home from the dealer a week after getting my M1. Never did any riding courses, just lots of fast paced road and track riding. Crashed a bunch of times but have never had any emergency services attend the scene. Always just picked myself up and kept on riding and hope to keep it that way.

All I really worry about is damaging my wrist again after breaking it last summer because I don't want to be in a cast ever again, I don't let it hold me back though I just push it a little less and I've gotten a little older and wiser so I don't ride like a goon as much as I used to anyways.

I'm actually always surprised how quickly mine feels normal again but I don't really ride that hard to begin with and this tiny thing is so easy to ride.

The first little bit is probably like the first 5 min....but didn't want to say that. lol
I worry more about the traction on the road than my riding.

Guys, question:
I still find myself stalling in second or third gear occasionally. It happened to me in traffic today, luckily it was only about 25 or 30 km/h to an hour traffic. Is the stalling happening because my bike is moving too slow, or is it because I'm not giving it enough gas? I thought as long as the bike is moving, it's not supposed to stall. I thought this was the principle behind engine braking. Or do you have to feed it gas while you're moving to keep it from stalling?

Guys, question:
I still find myself stalling in second or third gear occasionally. It happened to me in traffic today, luckily it was only about 25 or 30 km/h to an hour traffic. Is the stalling happening because my bike is moving too slow, or is it because I'm not giving it enough gas? I thought as long as the bike is moving, it's not supposed to stall. I thought this was the principle behind engine braking. Or do you have to feed it gas while you're moving to keep it from stalling?

When this happens, are you letting the RPMs drop below idle? You may be in too high a gear. Otherwise there may be something wrong with your bike

If you let the RPM drop too low it will stall. If you give it gas (without pulling the clutch) you will speed up. You use engine braking to slow down a bit but not stop. You also need to down shift. At a certain point you'll be as slow as you can go in first and will need to pull in the clutch. Honestly you shouldn't worry about engine braking until you've already figured out riding. Especially if you don't know how to drive a manual car. You should be rev matching a bit, too, to prevent excess clutch wear when engine braking which is something you're probably not quite ready for.

If your bike is stalling in neutral or with the clutch pulled there is something wrong with your bike.

Last edited:
It happens when I am not touching the clutch lever And letting it engine brake. If it stalls because the RPMs are too low, does that "too low" RPM number vary with which gear you're in? For example at 2nd gear it will stall under 3000 but 3rd it will stall under 4000?

i am guessing then, that I am letting it engine brake in too high of a gear, correct? As I slow down, I have to shift down or else it will stall?

thanx

yes, you have to gear down with slowing speed. You're probably overestimating the RPM you are at.

You can have someone test ride your bike and let you know if there's a problem.

It shouldn't stall above about 1000 or so. It should have very little to do with what gear you're in but it will be easier to stall in a higher gear.

Yes, you are likely engine braking in too high of a gear.

Guys, question:

Don't be so eager to grab the next higher gear, the engine needs to spin a bit especially a smaller one. Also be ready to pull in the clutch lever quickly. You'll get it.

Don't be so eager to grab the next higher gear, the engine needs to spin a bit especially a smaller one. Also be ready to pull in the clutch lever quickly. You'll get it.
He's stalling while slowing down, not accelerating. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

He's stalling while slowing down, not accelerating. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

He shouldn't be in 3rd gear at 25-30 km/h whether accelerating, maintaining speed. If slowing down at that speed in 3rd gear he should be ready to haul in the clutch lever.

I'm actually always surprised how quickly mine feels normal again but I don't really ride that hard to begin with and THIS TINY THING IS SO EASY TO RIDE.

Unfortunately, my wife said the same thing to me. ?

Unfortunately, my wife said the same thing to me. 

So while you're here thread jacking she's jacking your thread? You make a fine couple.

Lots of great advice already posted in this thread.

@motorchick: I hope you can overcome your fear. I overcame mine by accepting the risks, taking a motorcycle safety course, wearing protective and hi-viz gear, starting with a small bike with ABS, practicing in empty lots first before moving on to busier streets, learning from mistakes, being a defensive rider, knowing when not to ride and when to call it a day. I'm still a beginner, but I'm confident.

@marktwothousand: Congrats on the bike, we have the same one.

Mark I don't mean for this to sound nasty, but I really worry you are going to hurt yourself riding the way you are. It sounds like you are concentrating too much on what gear you're in and not enough of what's around you. Stay in much less populated areas until you get shifting properly under control. Did they not teach you that in your course? As a bunch of the guys have said, find a riding buddy, someone that can ride with you and is willing to help you out. There is so much going on when you are in traffic that you have to pay attention to that you souldn't we worrying about gear you are in and stalling all the time, that is begging for an accident.
As I said I honestly don't mean for this to sound mean at all, so please enjoy riding and be careful.

"i am guessing then, that I am letting it engine brake in too high of a gear, correct? As I slow down, I have to shift down or else it will stall?"
When I hear the engine kinda starts chugging I shift down and up shift when it starts to whine.
Be carefull when you go up hills or ramps in parking garage because you might be high gear going up the ramp but brake without shifting down near the top.
If your at a stop on the ramp use your rear brake.

I appreciate the commentary and I may yet go for more lessons (I asked my riding school about it already). But I think it does take practice and although there's many months of learning to come, I think after these posts, a partner ride I did yesterday, and just general learning, the gearing issue shouldn't get me into trouble. I am now letting out the clutch lever really slowly, to ensure I'm not in the wrong gear.

i understand now why I was stalling, it was when I was in 3rd coming to a stop light and not switching down fast enough. There is nothing Wrong the bike - it's not a case of "I'm just biking along randomly, and stalling." The RPMs go down really fast when you're engine braking and I forgot whether I was in 2nd or 3rd. I read a review of my bike after an owner had it for a while and they said this "Downsides: The bike lurches when transitioning from off- to on- throttle below 4k rpm or so, which makes u-turns and other low speed maneuvers awkward. Its hard to hit that perfect turn when bike lurches coming back on throttle." I think this is a perfect example of what's happening - I lurch sometimes, that's then the RPM goes down and if I don't save it in time, it stalls.

also, for parking garages what do you do? I have just been putting it in first and cranking it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom