Insuring vintage non-plated bike for theft | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insuring vintage non-plated bike for theft

tricky

Site Supporter
Got a '69 CT90 incoming, it's not quite in running shape but I'm looking to bring it to my parking spot downtown to do some work on it. Just looking for some theft insurance in case it's nicked.

Called a couple companies, they won't insure something that old whether it be roadworthy or not.

Any ideas?

Can't get insurance on an un-plated vehicle, you won't be able to get plates unless it passes safety either

A non-running CT90 can't be worth more than a couple hundred bucks anyway... Don't see insurance paying off, if you managed to secure some somehow.

Also review your condo bylaws. it may have something about an unplated vehicle in a spot, Pretty sure unless the lawyers and everyone on the condo board was sleeping, when they drafted the bylaws, you will see that you can't "work on it in your spot" either.

If your that worried about it, rent a self storage locker where you can secure it and you can work uninhibited on it.

Got a '69 CT90 incoming, it's not quite in running shape but I'm looking to bring it to my parking spot downtown to do some work on it. Just looking for some theft insurance in case it's nicked.

Called a couple companies, they won't insure something that old whether it be roadworthy or not.

Any ideas?

Don't be storing stuff like this in unsecured condo parking, running or not, insured or not. People collect these and parts are limited .. gone in 30 seconds.

All duly noted.

For the record, I work on my bike all the time in my spot. No troubles with the management. Just swapped out engines on my GS500 last week actually. Couldn't have a bike any more apart than that.

It's a gift, apparently an early k1 model, somewhat less common. No idea what any of that means really.

Last edited:
With vintage Hondas, it was common that early series current year models were actually previous year designs, production date stamped as the next year models and not incorporating the current year design changes. Features unique to that model year, also increase collectability.

Good write-up on your prospective K1: http://ct90-ct110.com/1969454545Trail45904539K1.html

..and yeah, bring it into your condo.. just make sure you've dumped the fuel first. It becomes avant garde furniture, then.

%2782%2BPassport.jpg

With vintage Hondas, it was common that early series current year models were actually previous year designs, production date stamped as the next year models and not incorporating the current year design changes. Features unique to that model year, also increase collectability.

Good write-up on your prospective K1: http://ct90-ct110.com/1969454545Trail45904539K1.html

..and yeah, bring it into your condo.. just make sure you've dumped the fuel first. It becomes avant garde furniture, then.

Thanks for the info. I still have a lot to learn about these bikes.

Apparently the one I'm getting needs the carbs cleaned and something is funky with the timing chain.

If I can find room in the apartment, I may bring it up. If I can't, I'll put it in storage. I suppose my parking spot is already full enough with the car and the GS anyway...

You can insure an unplated bike, I recently insured a bike that was unplated and not even in my name, i put the bike in my name a week after coverage started, how ever I was getting liability not fire/theft. You could possibly take the vin, insure it for the road and then drop the coverage down to fire/theft.
They'll probably let you pay premiums but try and collect a claim haha

You can insure anything, musical instruments, jewelery, pottery. Car and bike museums are all insured and many of the displays are not drive able or plated. There are lots of collectible bikes tucked away or sitting in lobbies and offices, insured. But it wont be statefarm or your local broker. Check with Haggarty or Markle.
You could possibly put a rider on your homeowners policy if you declare it an art project, but you'll probably need an appraisal. Wont be cheap.

Back
Top Bottom