Noob new to track. where to go? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob new to track. where to go?

Another Noob here aiming for the TMP Intro course and Racer 5 track May weekend. I do have my wife's stock CBR125 I can use at TMP.

If your R6 is an 06 or newer you can do some great stuff to the ECU for track use, i.e. turn your speedo into a huge gear indicator and dial out a bunch of engine braking for while you're learning (for smoother on/off throttle and less twitchy mid corner throttle maintenance). You can load fuel maps right in the ECU as well (in case you decide to run a retarded loud exhaust, no noise restrictions at TMP).

You can make the speedo into a huge gear indicator? no way?!

You can make the speedo into a huge gear indicator? no way?!
Yep! It changes it to 10km/h = 1st gear, 20km/h = 2nd gear, etc. Works DAMN sweet! You can also calibrate the speedo (when not using it as a gear indicator) for sprocket size changes so that it's always accurate (without having to buy a speedo healer).

Racer 5 is a good group that'll teach you a lot, my son took their coarse and never been on a street bike before that....he was ripping around in perfect form in just a few sessions. The guys there teaching were very helpful and gave good constructive criticism to all the new riders, even to this old boy. Just be prepared for the repair bill if you bin one of their bikes, it's not expensive unless there are many check marks beside parts to be replaced.
I'm not saying I won't spill. But if I do, I rather it not be on my bike LOL. Also a big plus for using the racer5 125s :D

Ohhh no way! Are you signing up for the stage1.2.3 package? I was really really thinking long and hard about that last night. its $999.99 for the 3 days. And my buddy showed me this video.

I am signed up for all 3 days. It's gonna kill me to do this at the introductory level, but I'm determined to get the body position right .... once and for all. Hope to see you there.

As others have pointed out, FastSchool is also great.

Last edited:
It's actually better to start with less power on the track. You can't make up for mistakes with more throttle. A < 500cc bike forces you to be very smooth since mistakes are magnified in terms of lap times. Being smooth on lower power bike allows you to focus on the technique not over outright speed, that will come later.

damn, am I the only one signed up for June?

You mean the VIP weekend at the Mosport DDT?
Know a bunch of people who are planning on going, but don't think any of us will be in the school.

You mean the VIP weekend at the Mosport DDT?
Know a bunch of people who are planning on going, but don't think any of us will be in the school.

Nope. I think the VIP trackday happens end of June. The school happens during the June 12-14 weekend.
I think Fawaz mentioned to me once they no longer combine trackdays with their school days.

Nope. I think the VIP trackday happens end of June. The school happens during the June 12-14 weekend.
I think Fawaz mentioned to me once they no longer combine trackdays with their school days.
VIP Weekends will have school days in 2015. The Continuation Course (2 Day) and Advanced Stage 4 and Stage 5.

That's interesting that TMP has their intro to track school dates on the website, but no 2015 schedule for track days yet. Kinda need to get off the pot on that. Grand Bend too.

I see Red Dawn has their schedule set. Pretty low key days at TMP and I love that they are on Thursdays.

May 9th at TMP with the Vintage Track Day guys will be my first track day in a very long time, then I'm doing the Intro to Track day at TMP the following weekend & then it's home to England for a couple of weeks.
For those of you who have done through Intro to Track day at TMP what's your opinions?

just my 2 cents here.....

did the TMP 'intro to track' thing a few years ago.

If any of you guys are doing track days for the first time, DO THE TMP course first. It will be safer for you, you will learn how to behave on a proper track day and what to expect, and you won't be a hazard to anybody else....

( I wouldnt worry about using your own street bike. Highly unlikely you will bin it, unless you ride stupid. Most of the course is done following a leader, with a few open laps on the end. If you are fairly confident on the street, you will be even more confident here)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom