Noob new to track. where to go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob new to track. where to go?

ravensix

Site Supporter
What is a good organization for a complete stranger to track days?

I mean, I would rather be able to rent a bike and gear for my first day on a track. This will be new to me, but I wanna improve my riding.

Also, anyone know the cost of bike + gear rental for a day? or any websites I could look at?

Roomie is correct, this is 1.) both the most cost effective and 2.) best learning environment for someone just starting. Basic operation of a motorcycle is expected, they will teach you the rest. Proper gear is quite expensive, so is running a bike on a track. That said, on both fronts racer5 is very competitive in terms of cost starting out. Not everyone is sure if trackdays are for them or not, so this is a kind of try before you buy.

Keep in mind, every single track day rider had their first trackday once, so we all know what its like. Most are open to helping new riders and answering their questions. There are quite a few good resources on this site about your first track day that will answer your questions. It's a little unnerving your first time, but it is an experience I encourage every rider to have. In one day you will learn a lot about riding and even more about yourself.

Yup, I'm mostly in it for learning and improving. But damn I don't have a track bike or the gear for it (yet) and I don't want to take my one n only bike onto a track lol.

So from the looks of the racer5 program, you can purchase stage 1-3 for $999 + $50/day for gear rental. Which I don't think is that bad.

Hey ravensix I've been doing track days for 2 years. Believe it or not, I still don't lean off the bike with the right body position as well as I would like to ... it's kind of half-assed. Sooooo I've decided to go back to basics ... taking the 3 day Racer5 course end of May (29, 30, 31). My thinking is I shouldn't have any problems with learning to really lean off a small bike (I've never ridden a small bike). Met Fawaz and his staff at the show and they are determined to get me to where I need to be with full body position. Their prices are very reasonable and by all accounts their course is fabulous. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Yup, I'm mostly in it for learning and improving. But damn I don't have a track bike or the gear for it (yet) and I don't want to take my one n only bike onto a track lol.

So from the looks of the racer5 program, you can purchase stage 1-3 for $999 + $50/day for gear rental. Which I don't think is that bad.
You don't need a track bike. Your R6 will do, just basic work to get it track ready. As far as gear goes, it's a lifetime investment, if you already have a leather jacket, just buy the pants and suit up!

Hey ravensix I've been doing track days for 2 years. Believe it or not, I still don't lean off the bike with the right body position as well as I would like to ... it's kind of half-assed. Sooooo I've decided to go back to basics ... taking the 3 day Racer5 course end of May (29, 30, 31). My thinking is I shouldn't have any problems with learning to really lean off a small bike (I've never ridden a small bike). Met Fawaz and his staff at the show and they are determined to get me to where I need to be with full body position. Their prices are very reasonable and by all accounts their course is fabulous. Maybe I'll see you there :)

Ohhh no way! Are you signing up for the stage1.2.3 package? I was really really thinking long and hard about that last night. its $999.99 for the 3 days. And my buddy showed me this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAG3KnhZLNA

You don't need a track bike. Your R6 will do, just basic work to get it track ready. As far as gear goes, it's a lifetime investment, if you already have a leather jacket, just buy the pants and suit up!

I'm not confident enough to take my own bike to learn how to track yet, I know.. weird right? r6 is a track bike and all but I don't know how to use it for its intended purpose *cough* poser *cough* ahahah. I would feel much better learning the ways on a 125, Iv had more seat time on smaller bikes.

I'm not confident enough to take my own bike to learn how to track yet, I know.. weird right? r6 is a track bike and all but I don't know how to use it for its intended purpose *cough* poser *cough* ahahah. I would feel much better learning the ways on a 125, Iv had more seat time on smaller bikes.
If you can ride your R6 on the street you can ride it on the track :) That being said you'll learn a lot more on a smaller bike, especially one you don't own ;)

If you're thinking on using your own bike, $168: http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/raceway/track_school_intro.html

The 125's are a lot of fun to ride. Yes you don't go fast on a long straight but it doesn't take a ton of skill to do that. You'll learn a ton, get a ton of seat time and have a blast. Almost everyone in my group binned during our course. Those bikes are so cheap to fix and most of the time its just bending something back into shape. Worth every penny.

The 125's are a lot of fun to ride. Yes you don't go fast on a long straight but it doesn't take a ton of skill to do that. You'll learn a ton, get a ton of seat time and have a blast. Almost everyone in my group binned during our course. Those bikes are so cheap to fix and most of the time its just bending something back into shape. Worth every penny.

I'm not saying I won't spill. But if I do, I rather it not be on my bike LOL. Also a big plus for using the racer5 125s :D

Hmm.... TMP is closer to where I live, but could I learn a lot in 2.5hours of riding?
It's only $168, a great way to get your feet wet on the track without spending lots of cash. Will you learn something? Yep, but mostly about how to be safe on the track, not how to specifically ride better/faster. Don't need much bike prep at all, drain coolant and fill it with water and water wetter, remove mirrors, tape up headlights and brake lights and pull fuses if possible, tape over speedo, done.

If your R6 is an 06 or newer you can do some great stuff to the ECU for track use, i.e. turn your speedo into a huge gear indicator and dial out a bunch of engine braking for while you're learning (for smoother on/off throttle and less twitchy mid corner throttle maintenance). You can load fuel maps right in the ECU as well (in case you decide to run a retarded loud exhaust, no noise restrictions at TMP).

Woah, that racer 5 3-day course looks great!!! I promised myself I'd get out to a track this season and this looks like a great option!!!

Im doing the May weekend too! I'm excited and nervous and scared and excited and some more nervous and anxious all at the same time :D

Im doing the May weekend too! I'm excited and nervous and scared and excited and some more nervous and anxious all at the same time :D
They take you one step at the time, nothing to be nervous or scared about, I have seen the course being conducted many times while at a race weekend and the participants go from very tentative to fairly competent a coupe of days later, female friends i know that took it were also scared and had a great time.

Great info everyone, Hopefully I'll see a couple of you guys too. Weather it be racer5 or another organization.

Back
Top Bottom