Smokey and my bandit :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smokey and my bandit :(

alangolding25

Site Supporter
I went out on my bandit for the 2nd time this season.

I turned it on first time in the weekend. Smoke came out and I thought it would be normal after 4 months idle .

It smoked again this time round.
First video below shows the smoke when I rev it. 2nd video shows the smoke still streaming out after I turn it off.

- before winter I changed it the oil (although I didn't put a new filter in yet)

Anything to be worried about?

https://vimeo.com/122484781

https://vimeo.com/122484836

It's cold out man. Normal operation.

Black puff with the couple blasts of throttle. Blowing the carbon out. Not a major problem. Carburetion is a bit rich, perhaps.

Black puff with the couple blasts of throttle. Blowing the carbon out. Not a major problem. Carburetion is a bit rich, perhaps.
It's fuel injected

It looks fine to me Allan....the smoke coming out after shut down is normal and as BrianP said it's just blowing out carbon and crud from sitting over the winter. You are running a yosh slip on which changes the way the bike runs.... do you get alot of decel popping on the downshift????? if so its an easy fix just plug the rubber hose from the pair evap system which will stop the decel popping and remove your air box snorkel which will let it breathe better. When the weather get warmer would be glad to help you out if you want.

BTW your thread title goes perfect with my username and signature LOL:D

Aren't the Bandit's oil cooled anyways? White smoke is usually a sign that you're burning coolant, something your bike lacks.

Aren't the Bandit's oil cooled anyways? White smoke is usually a sign that you're burning coolant, something your bike lacks.

He is definitely not burning coolant and the bandits were oil cooled and carbeurated up until the 2006 model year the 07 and on up the engine size goes from 1200 to 1250 and added fuel injection and liquid cooled

Allan also noticed your bandit has that buzzy sound which is the fan shroud vibrating you can remedy that with a bead of silicon.;)

Last edited:
@the bandit

Cheers for the offer to help i'll definitely take you up on that. Much appreciated.
Once the weather gets warmers maybe could take a look sometime you are free. Yeah figured the thread subject was fitting :)

@everyone
Cheers for the responses. I was actually not as worried about the white smoke, moreover the black smoke. Rather than assume it was normal wanted some feedback before I possible was down an engine. I remember having white smoke from my SV previously but had never seen black smoke before. I've been riding for many years but still not 100% on the mechanics side, still learning.

True, will run a bit rich with the colder temps too.
Bikes run richer in the hottest summer months, and more lean in the cold spring air...
Because the cold air is more dense and contains more oxygen.

Bikes run richer in the hottest summer months, and more lean in the cold spring air...
Because the cold air is more dense and contains more oxygen.
Ummm no....
When you first start up your engine during cold weather it will run rich.

Ummm no....
When you first start up your engine during cold weather it will run rich.

It will run richer if the fuel delivery system has some way to compensate for air temperature. Fuel injection can do this generally, although some motorcycle FI is extremely basic. Motorcycle carbs can not do this generally, that's what the "choke" is for (actually a mixture enrichment lever)

Last edited:
Rite you are ^
That's why non efi bikes have a choke, to richen the mixture for starts, especially cold starts.
Lean running engines don't last long.
But saying engines run lean in cold weather is just nonsense and aperantly wasn't "Googled" properly by gryphon lol

Rite you are ^
That's why non efi bikes have a choke, to richen the mixture for starts, especially cold starts.
Lean running engines don't last long.
But saying engines run lean in cold weather is just nonsense and aperantly wasn't "Googled" properly by gryphon lol

It's not nonsense. If you have a fuel delivery system that dispenses fuel at a fixed rate and fails to compensate for temperature (e.g. a carburetor) then the mixture will be leaner at cold temperatures due to the denser air.

Back
Top Bottom