Quitting Smoking Thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quitting Smoking Thread

Roasted

Site Supporter
I could have sworn there was a thread about this but can't find it.

I'm into day 9 as of about an hour ago going cold turkey. It's actually not that bad now. I've only been smoking for about 2 years so quitting for me shouldn't be as hard as for some other people who smoked for 20-30 years but the first 4-5 days were still horrible, I knew they would be though hence I started on a week off. I don't drink much normally ut I went through a 12 back off beer in 3 days of mostly being at home.....craving for cig, I'll have a beer. I can see how people turn to food and get fat. Now into second week though and things are definitely getting better. This is my second attempt so hopefully I don't fall off the wagon this time around.

Anyone else doing this now or quit recently?

I've only been smoking for about 2 years so

I've never heard of anyone becoming a smoker well into adulthood. Well I have now. Weird

I could have sworn there was a thread about this but can't find it. I've only been smoking for about 2 years so quitting for me shouldn't be as hard

I've never heard of anyone becoming a smoker well into adulthood. Well I have now. Weird

Yes, there is another smoking thread and my opinions on that are well documented. Starting later in life kind of shocked me too until I remembered the other threads. Keep it up you'll get roasted like the Biebs.

Yeah, I'm a weird one..........thought we already established that
Well usually people get hooked when the peer pressure and perceived coolness of smoking outweigh the, you know, common sense lol

Well usually people get hooked when the peer pressure and perceived coolness of smoking outweigh the, you know, common sense lol

That also explains crashing into guardrails. Peer pressure is not to be trifled with.

I started when I was 25, quit at 35 and it's been 10 years since I quit. I loved smoking while having a drink and met some of the best people on the patio at the bar. I just got sick of the taste of a thousand bare feet on my tongue at 3 am.

quit, walk away with what ever help needs pills, potions, therapies. Don't count the days, you will only be free when you are no longer counting the days.

QUIT!

Smoking killed my Mother-In-Law and my Mother has C.O.P.D. from her decades of smoking. I have lost several Aunts and Uncles the last several years secondary to these damn things. The Grim Reaper sends Christmas cards to the cigarette companies for all the business they have helped send his way from my family alone. :sad5::angry5: I hate the damn things and I am blown away that they are legal when far lessor evils/dangers are banned or illegal.

Champex (spelling?) is one medication which has helped some of my loved ones quit smoking.

Pills pretty much ruined 2 years of my life..... And are probably the reason I started smoking..... so I refuse to take one more ****ing pill. Cold turkey it is. Just had to start on a week I took off work since I still have some sleep issues from quitting pills and every time I try stopping smoking my sleep goes down the toilet from nicotine withdrawal. First night I probably slept like 2 hours total.

I quit for 2 months before using an e-cig though but I relapsed when work basically took a giant dump on my life and I had probably the most stressful month of my entire life. Work kinda sucks now too and I have like a million things going on at once in my life but hopefully I can take it this time.

Pills pretty much ruined 2 years of my life..... And are probably the reason I started smoking..... so I refuse to take one more ****ing pill. Cold turkey it is. Just had to start on a week I took off work since I still have some sleep issues from quitting pills and every time I try stopping smoking my sleep goes down the toilet from nicotine withdrawal. First night I probably slept like 2 hours total.

I quit for 2 months before using an e-cig though but I relapsed when work basically took a giant dump on my life and I had probably the most stressful month of my entire life. Work kinda sucks now too and I have like a million things going on at once in my life but hopefully I can take it this time.

Well... Sincere kudos and congrats for trying so hard and doing what you are trying to do.

We all have our vices and unhealthy things we do to help cope with stuff. With me it is food... I am not a huge guy but I gain and lose 20-30 lbs too much and it is not doing me any favors. Crap hits the fan and the bad snacking comes. Others drink... Pills for others...

I get it that Pills have been an issue for you at some point. Unfortunately pretty much all of us will need pills in our lives at some point. It is what it is. Perhaps you could look at it as a short term thing that is temporary to allow you to be healthier later?

Smoked for 18 years and quit cold turkey. I smoked for that long because I really enjoyed smoking and smoking lots of different brands. One day I just decided that I wasn't going to smoke anymore. It was my first time trying to quit and it was difficult breaking some of the ritualistic habits that go along with smoking.

It's one of those things that I've always felt you will stop doing when you are really ready to stop for yourself. No amount of telling other people about it or taking this and that will help if you don't have the mental strength to see it through yourself. I felt like if I cheated a smoke here and there and could not stop smoking for myself, holding true to what I knew was important for myself, then my word meant nothing and no one else could really trust me, if I couldn't trust myself.

It's been about 8 years now and I still like the smell of smoke - I think it's like some rewiring of the brain that happens when you smoke for a long time. But the desire to smoke is not as great as the desire to be truthful with myself.

Interestingly enough, for a few years before I stopped smoking, I thought about giving up eating meat. I ate all kinds of meat, 3 meals a day and was starting to dislike the whole concept of factory farming and animal cruelty, but I wasn't sure that I would have the mental strength to give up something I had done my entire life. After I quit smoking, giving up eating meat was really easy. When you give up something you really like and are addicted to (like smoking) it's amazing how easy so many other things in life are to accomplish.

I'm guessing you're not in the IT/related field. The vast majority smoke/vape.

I'm guessing you're not in the IT/related field. The vast majority smoke/vape.
The vast majority started smoking when they were 30?

Good luck Roasted ! I have been smoking for far too long, even managed to quit for 3 years but went back. Today I started using a e-cig ( been a long f---- day lol)

Back
Top Bottom