Quitting Smoking Thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quitting Smoking Thread

Started the first time when I was eight. Back then I used to buy my mother's cigarettes at the store. Quit when I was ten and then started again at sixteen. Quit the second time from smoking Old Port Colts and inhaling, during exams. Had to Ralph during every exam that semester. My dad tossed his pack one day, and the following day when all his friends found out, they quit too. The peer pressure works both ways. Mom couldn't quit and had increasing respiratory problems as she got older. We lost her just before Christmas last year. She was on different pills, puffers and all kinds of stuff to keep her breathing.

Roasted can you make a log out of this? Like day 1... Day 2.... Etc.

I've never touched a cigarette in my life, but I'm interested in the process it takes to quit.

I'm a casual or social smoker. I never picked up smoking because I was afraid to become addicted. I never want to be a slave to a chemical.

I've been doing it for a year now. I smoke when I'm bored or if I want to relax. I also smoke to think. I monitor myself & I'm actually doing fine. I've been sick 2x this year alone & never touched a cigarette when sick. I've never walked outside of work to get a cigarette. I smoke because I want to. I've impressed myself

^ you're playing with fire

I'm a casual or social smoker. I never picked up smoking because I was afraid to become addicted. I never want to be a slave to a chemical.

I've been doing it for a year now. I smoke when I'm bored or if I want to relax. I also smoke to think. I monitor myself & I'm actually doing fine. I've been sick 2x this year alone & never touched a cigarette when sick. I've never walked outside of work to get a cigarette. I smoke because I want to. I've impressed myself
Ever smoke cigars or is it not your thing?

Started when I was 17, thought I couldn't get addicted. Years later, watched my cardiovascular performance get slaughtered, cough before going to sleep, and realized I'm a moody ***** if I chain smoke and stop.

I think I'll stay off lol

Oh...and @ RockerGuy, that's how we all started. You're lying to yourself. A friend of mine asked me for a cigarette 2 years ago. I told him "I'll give you one, but realize you are going to get addicted after this". 4 months ago he travelled to Las Vegas and bought a carton of cigarettes to give away. He gave 1 pack away and smoked the rest lol Pretty sure he's quit now as he realized he was wiring many activities to "have a smoke while doing it".

I did the cold turkey way and it was brutal! But glad that I made that change long ago. A buddy of mine just had a baby last week and has been working on quitting now. He's on his second month I think now. My buddy is doing the gum and patches. They seem to work rather well if you keep them nearby. Maybe also check out the spray they have instead of the gum or patches.

E-cigs might be worth while. Not sure about them as I don't know much about them. If you do use them, don't be that guy who just puffs away in front people at the table.

Wish you all the best! It's a tough road to go down for sure! Keep your hands and mind busy and you'll get past it quick. And the crap you'll hack up isn't pretty at all... But it's a good thing.

Is it helpful to tell a smoker how hard it is to quit and how painful it is? Because years ago I knew an older couple, the wife was on the husband to quit big time and he wasn't having much success. I told them of my struggle and everything. Well didn't the wife get all ****** at me for undermining her husbands efforts. My theory was don't sugar coat it and when you finally quit you have something to be proud of rather than meh it's no big deal. Ironically, the wife smoked but not as much. She wasn't trying to quit either, just her husband needed to quit, because according to her he has a cough.

Nicorette or Thrive gum, whatever's on sale. Just chomp constantly for any reason at all, but by no means smoke. And if anyone asks if you want to go out, or you are tempted to go it, just pop another gum. You start to get sick of it, only chewing when you really need one. A few months later you are done. Set the rules, stick to it.

Ever smoke cigars or is it not your thing?
Have tried that. I do smoke that occasionally
油井緋色;2281043 said:
Started when I was 17, thought I couldn't get addicted. Years later, watched my cardiovascular performance get slaughtered, cough before going to sleep, and realized I'm a moody ***** if I chain smoke and stop.

I think I'll stay off lol

Oh...and @ RockerGuy, that's how we all started. You're lying to yourself. A friend of mine asked me for a cigarette 2 years ago. I told him "I'll give you one, but realize you are going to get addicted after this". 4 months ago he travelled to Las Vegas and bought a carton of cigarettes to give away. He gave 1 pack away and smoked the rest lol Pretty sure he's quit now as he realized he was wiring many activities to "have a smoke while doing it".
I've been doing this over a year. Good thing I'm too lazy to go outside for a smoke. Plus I don't smoke more than 1 in one sitting

Have tried that. I do smoke that occasionally

I've been doing this over a year. Good thing I'm too lazy to go outside for a smoke. Plus I don't smoke more than 1 in one sitting

Took my friend 2 years to realize he was addicted.

Took me a little over a year and a half. Initially it was "I only smoke on weekends when I'm chilling" to "oh **** it's weekend, I get to smoke", to "sweet trip back to Taiwan, Imma buy 4 cartons of smokes and sell them" and the rest went to **** after.

The addiction with smoking comes with rewiring your brain to associate activities with smoking. For me this was drinking, eating, sex, riding motorcycle, trackdays, dota, wow raids, exams...well hell, everything =P You'll eventually find something missing when performing those activities if you stop smoking.

Just throwing this info out there because ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to developing harmful addictions.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2281114 said:
Took my friend 2 years to realize he was addicted.

Took me a little over a year and a half. Initially it was "I only smoke on weekends when I'm chilling" to "oh **** it's weekend, I get to smoke", to "sweet trip back to Taiwan, Imma buy 4 cartons of smokes and sell them" and the rest went to **** after.

The addiction with smoking comes with rewiring your brain to associate activities with smoking. For me this was drinking, eating, sex, riding motorcycle, trackdays, dota, wow raids, exams...well hell, everything =P You'll eventually find something missing when performing those activities if you stop smoking.

Just throwing this info out there because ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to developing harmful addictions.
I'll report in a year or 2

I'll report in a year or 2
I social smoked for like 3-4 years before I started smoking full time. I kind of LET it happen though. Now it sucks cause I'd like to go back to being a social smoker but I think now that I was hooked once it would be too easy to get hooked again smoking one here and there.

The two main reasons I started were probably:
1. Quitting smoking weed......I needed something else to puff on so switched to cigs
2. Suffering terrible insomnia for a long time......tossing and turning in bed and not sleeping for 8-10 hours straight became more bearable when I would get up every 1-2 hours and have a cig

I social smoked for like 3-4 years before I started smoking full time. I kind of LET it happen though. Now it sucks cause I'd like to go back to being a social smoker but I think now that I was hooked once it would be too easy to get hooked again smoking one here and there.

1. Quitting smoking weed......I needed something else to puff on so switched to cigs
2. Suffering terrible insomnia for a long time......tossing and turning in bed and not sleeping for 8-10 hours straight became more bearable when I would get up every 1-2 hours and have a cig
If you can't sleep why would you take a stimulant? Nicotine like caffeine is a stimulant. I drink a bit of coffee now & it fuks up with my sleep cycle

Been a casual smoker for 9 years... haven't touch one in over a year... Went to e-cigs a year ago and i got all my family to switch over. Got some friends that went cold turkey and they said the hardest part is the first few weeks. Their advice was to go into a sauna and sweat the **** out. It'll help with the transition. For me was the hand to mouth motion so ecigs did its part.

Try meditation.

My incentive came when my mom got hospitalized. I didn't smoke a lot at that time and was always one who could take it or leave it. Sterile environment for a few days. Until the rest of the famdamily started to visit.

OMG they stank! I couldn't believe how badly. It was disgusting. Right there I vowed never would I spend money on stuff like perfume if I was countering it with the tobacco stench!

Waiting to get tires mounted yesterday aft so ended up in a pub for a pint. This man came in and sat down from me at the bar, about 4 feet away. 30 seconds later I paid for my 1/3 pint and left, it was that bad.

One incentive to quit could be to consider how badly you smell to women.

One incentive to quit could be to consider how badly you smell to women.

I used to smell of tobacco smoke, motor oil, and leather

now I smell of sunscreen, small batch gin and desperation

I'll take any tips you got

Back
Top Bottom