Motorcycle cop pulls over distracted/cell phone using drivers! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle cop pulls over distracted/cell phone using drivers!

True enough. My point was that just holding a phone for whatever reason(passing to passenger maybe) can get you a ticket....but if you were holding an apple (not a iproduct, a real one) and eating it you would be fine....or has that changed too?

Isnt there a law that states keep 2 hands on the steering wheel unless changing gear etc? Im pretty sure eating/drinking coffee while driving is illegal too.

Isnt there a law that states keep 2 hands on the steering wheel unless changing gear etc? Im pretty sure eating/drinking coffee while driving is illegal too.

Wouldn't that render the suicide knob a foolish expenditure?

And before all the cellphones, people just drove and listened to radio and played cassettes.

What is SO URGENT now that it cant wait for a person to
A) wait until they get to destination
B) pull over to the side of the road to answer (if its so important, we should be able to stop for it)

To be honest, im a hypocrite because i do answer some texts while stopped at "newly turned" red lights.
But im still the first one off the line when it turns green.

Does it make it right? No. Am i aware of my surroundings? Yes.

Most people take some liberties behind the wheel (coffee, snack, radio, rubbernecking etc.) nobody is super focused at all times. The cellphone/smartphone has taken distracted driving to a whole new level. You'd have to be comatose to not have noticed this trend over the last few years. It's dangerous and the proof is out there.

Not sure where you find a "grey area" in this law it is? it states while you are operating a motor vehicle you can't touch cell phones period. Even at a red light you are still operating the vehicle. No grey area to that. Just because you happen to disagree with it does not change the fact the drivers are breaking the law and the officer is doing his job. Please enlighten us as to what is a better use of an officer's time then enforcing traffic laws that could, (and do result in serious crashes leading to severe injuries and death)?

Sorry for being an ahole. I meant to say that you missed my point. I agree with the safety aspect and also understand the danger distracted drivers pose. I just dont agree with being ticketed at red lights for answering a text.. some people dont have fancy bluetooth cars that can connect to their phones...hell my bluetooth on my phone doesn't even work.. and need a means of being able to communicate in safe situations to people. Just as with everything there are grey areas. And i strongly disagree that ticketing at red lights is ok. Just like i strongly disagree that speed traps are an effective way (and moral way) of stopping speeding.. especially when there are better things they could be doing with their time (other than making 6 figures)

Without grey areas we'd all be pooched. Why be so obtuse?

Not sure where you find a "grey area" in this law it is? it states while you are operating a motor vehicle you can't touch cell phones period. Even at a red light you are still operating the vehicle. No grey area to that. Just because you happen to disagree with it does not change the fact the drivers are breaking the law and the officer is doing his job. Please enlighten us as to what is a better use of an officer's time then enforcing traffic laws that could, (and do result in serious crashes leading to severe injuries and death)?

grey area is in the definition of operating...and as always the law takes it to the extreme to generate more revenue for the city... and of course for the officers pockets

cops are the biggest opportunists there is..simple as that

Wouldn't that render the suicide knob a foolish expenditure?

That steering knob is for people that require it for driving for medical reasons; the code is added to your license just like having to wear glasses for driving.

grey area is in the definition of operating...and as always the law takes it to the extreme to generate more revenue for the city... and of course for the officers pockets

blame the level of extremity on the weakest link in society. "someone" caused enough issues with cellphones, and along with that, 'someone' created enough of a stink with the aftermath asking lawmakers to do something about it.

It was caused by 'us'.

They need to create wording to allow officers to ticket stupidity. They're not ticketing your intelligence. Even the smartest people speed/race/chat on the phone etc while driving. Everyone criticising the law is doing it from their perspective, but you gotta remember, if you're on a phone at the light, the law is the law despite how quick your check might be. People are choosing to ignore it. If they get caught, a ticket is issued cuz they chose to break the law, not how stupid they are.

So because you want to do it we should permit everyone to do it? Perhaps there are others who aren't as talented as you and can't type a text reply in the 30 - 90 seconds at a red light so they "just have to finish this" then I will go.. Operating is operating, while stopped you are still operating the vehicle, (it is in gear, or should be) therefore without the "operators" input there would be a collision. I guess if your that worked up about it you could throw car in park get out use your phone then jump back in before the light changes..lol

Why is it today we "think" it is important to answer EVERYTHING in that moment. I and tens of millions of others seemed to survive LONG before cell phones came along. We didn't have to answer texts, emails or even phone calls every 13 seconds. Hell when I started driving and riding, no one except for the uber rich with drivers had "car phones". If someone needed to "tell us" anything they would wait till we were at home or work.

From MY perspective as a rider, driver MY life is more important than you telling someone you will grab eggs on the way home, not seeing me and killing me. I WANT this enforced as it is it written. I know I know answering that damn text to you is EVERYTHING and the world will end if you don't do it... Well unfortunately that momentary distraction "could" be the end of the world... just for someone else.

But i know FTP, above all FYI it wasn't the "pigs" that wrote this or any law. they are only enforcing what the majority of citizens, (and the courts) feel is a "reasonable" law to protect society. Again as of Last week 12 people have died in Ontario as a result of distracted driving this year alone at that rate we are on track for approx 40 deaths this year. We could very well have less homicides in Toronto this year. So should the "pigs" also not arrest anyone carrying a gun or knife, (after all they aren't "operating" the weapon at that moment)...lol

Last edited:
So because you want to do it we should permit everyone to do it? Perhaps there are others who aren't as talented as you and can't type a text reply in the 30 - 90 seconds at a red light so they "just have to finish this" then I will go.. Operating is operating, while stopped you are still operating the vehicle, (it is in gear, or should be) therefore without the "operators" input there would be a collision. I guess if your that worked up about it you could throw car in park get out use your phone then jump back in before the light changes..lol

Why is it today we "think" it is important to answer EVERYTHING in that moment. I and tens of millions of others seemed to survive LONG before cell phones came along. We didn't have to answer texts, emails or even phone calls every 13 seconds. Hell when I started driving and riding, no one except for the uber rich with drivers had "car phones". If someone needed to "tell us" anything they would wait till we were at home or work.

From MY perspective as a rider, driver MY life is more important than you telling someone you will grab eggs on the way home, not seeing me and killing me. I WANT this enforced as it is it written. I know I know answering that damn text to you is EVERYTHING and the world will end if you don't do it... Well unfortunately that momentary distraction "could" be the end of the world... just for someone else.

But i know FTP, above all FYI it wasn't the "pigs" that wrote this or any law. they are only enforcing what the majority of citizens, (and the courts) feel is a "reasonable" law to protect society. Again as of Last week 12 people have died in Ontario as a result of distracted driving this year alone at that rate we are on track for approx 40 deaths this year. We could very well have less homicides in Toronto this year. So should the "pigs" also not arrest anyone carrying a gun or knife, (after all they aren't "operating" the weapon at that moment)...lol

Theyre too busy giving cell phone tickets at red lights to do anything else...so they can make more money. Times have changed and cell phones are now a major part of everyones daily lives. My car is in neutral at every red light, does this mean im operating it...? Or do i start operating when i put it in first and drive?

I understand where the law came from and why but again i disagree with all these hypothetical what ifs at red lights... are you allowed to drink coffee at a red light or is that also illegal..?

Theyre too busy giving cell phone tickets at red lights to do anything else...so they can make more money. Times have changed and cell phones are now a major part of everyones daily lives. My car is in neutral at every red light, does this mean im operating it...? Or do i start operating when i put it in first and drive?

I understand where the law came from and why but again i disagree with all these hypothetical what ifs at red lights... are you allowed to drink coffee at a red light or is that also illegal..?

To answer your question, will holding an apple, (not iproduct version) get you ticket or has that changed). No it hasn't changed it can get you charge of distracted driving same as can drinking a coffee, doing makeup, or any other "activity" that causes you to remove your focus behind the wheel from driving alone. It is just that the "distracted driving law" specifically targets holding electronics to a greater degree. Back before the distracted driving law came into effect it normally resulted in a charge of careless driving, or in "extreme" cases dangerous driving.

I believe once you sit in the car and turn the key to the on position you technically begin operating a motor vehicle.

By your logic one cannot be charged with impaired driving at a red light.

Yes under the law you are deemed to be "operating" your vehicle, if you are on a public road. Period full stop. NO grey area.

You can argue all you would like that this is a revenue generating tool. It may be in some instances it may be but to me it is a safety issue.
You keep saying police are too busy giving "all these cell phone tickets AT RED LIGHTS" can you provide stats as to how many or what percentage of overall distracted driving tickets are issued at red lights as opposed to when the vehicle is in motion?

Yes you CAN be ticketed for drinking a coffee at a red light, but it would have to be a VERY outrageous incident before I could imagine an officer doing so. Texting or emailing takes a LOT more concentration and distraction than does drinking from a cup. So not really a viable comparison.

Again you can argue all you want your 100% under the law wrong. If you feel you have a valid argument and priciple then waiti until an officer is beside you pick up your phone at a red light and make it OBVIOUS your using it. Take the ticket to court and feel free to report your success back here to the members.

Logic? Hahahaha!

Sorry, thinking would have been a better choice of words.
Cirlce jerking on the net
Yes under the law you are deemed to be "operating" your vehicle, if you are on a public road. Period full stop. NO grey area.

You can argue all you would like that this is a revenue generating tool. It may be in some instances it may be but to me it is a safety issue.
You keep saying police are too busy giving "all these cell phone tickets AT RED LIGHTS" can you provide stats as to how many or what percentage of overall distracted driving tickets are issued at red lights as opposed to when the vehicle is in motion?

Yes you CAN be ticketed for drinking a coffee at a red light, but it would have to be a VERY outrageous incident before I could imagine an officer doing so. Texting or emailing takes a LOT more concentration and distraction than does drinking from a cup. So not really a viable comparison.

Again you can argue all you want your 100% under the law wrong. If you feel you have a valid argument and priciple then waiti until an officer is beside you pick up your phone at a red light and make it OBVIOUS your using it. Take the ticket to court and feel free to report your success back here to the members.
Thanks hedo...your opinion is definitley unbiased.....i smell bacon

In any case you are right. Doesnt change my opinion on the matter :)

Cirlce jerking on the net

Thanks hedo...your opinion is definitley unbiased.....i smell bacon

In any case you are right. Doesnt change my opinion on the matter :)

Sometimes people's "opinions" need to be corrected.

A lot of people's "opinions" are that stop signs and red lights are optional if they are making a right turn, too.

Just to clarify I appreciate what the police do to keep us safe and I deffs understand the risks they take to do so.

Back
Top Bottom