Fence/Fence by-law questions, Mississauga. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fence/Fence by-law questions, Mississauga.

Motorcycle Mike

X4rMsDr.jpg

The above image is the google street view image of my side yard.

My side yard is wide enough to be of some use, so I am considering fencing it in as per the black lines.

I have read the Mississauga fence bylaws, and it appears there is no issue with me fencing in my side yard as long as it is below 2m in height... no problem.

Q1 -- Is there any issue that my gas meter would be behind the fence? If it can be behind the fence, how is gas usage read?

Q2 -- Should I extend the fence to the very corner of the house and encompass the electrical box (since it is wireless now anyway)? Or should I have the fence meet the house a few feet back from the corner?

Q3 -- Are there any concerns or issues with my plan that perhaps I have not thought about?

It is likely hard to tell from the picture, but the distance between that 3-stem tree and the corner of my porch is at least 6 to 8 feet, so my intention is to extend the sidewalk around the side of the house into the back yard. I also intend to install double doors on the fence front so I can park my trailer in the side yard. I have not yet decided if I will make a concrete pad or patio stone pad or stone pad for the trailer -- or just park it on grass until I figure it out.

Any comments/criticisms/recommendations related to this project are welcome and appreciated.

my gas meter is inside a fenced yard so I dont think thats a problem, everything else you typed sounds ok. I would do a gravel pad to sit the trailer on, just for rust sitting over grass.

If you have read the Mississauga by-laws concerning fences, then you should be OK. That is not the part I would be concerned about. Have you checked to see if you are allowed to park a trailer on your side yard? I know here in Orangeville there are by-laws that prohibit parking a trailer in your side yard.

Q1 -- My gas meter is not only behind a fence on the side of my house, it is also slightly below the deck under an access panel. Last winter the gas employee could not get the gate open and they sent us a letter asking me to read the meter. As long as there is access for the gas company to read the meter you should be fine.

Q2 -- I would leave the side fence set-back from the corner of the house, allowing clear access to the Hydro meter. I think this would look better and it would also clear the tree at the corner of your house.

Q3 -- See comment above re trailer parking at side of the house.

Last edited:
Are you taking out that tree for the gate?

It looks close to the fence, and there might be something to prevent the removal.

Will you match the existing fence? Are you allowed to store a trailer there?

if we are talking utility trailer it should be invisible behind the fence. I think the bylaw was to discourage travel trailers and full size contractor trailers, but I'd like to see a clairification if anybody has one.

if we are talking utility trailer it should be invisible behind the fence. I think the bylaw was to discourage travel trailers and full size contractor trailers, but I'd like to see a clairification if anybody has one.

Not if it's a chain link fence.

Most places won't allow you to park a Suzuki in your driveway,
as it's an eyesore, and decreases property values.

Actually, those green Kawasakis are bad too.

X4rMsDr.jpg

The above image is the google street view image of my side yard.

My side yard is wide enough to be of some use, so I am considering fencing it in as per the black lines.

I have read the Mississauga fence bylaws, and it appears there is no issue with me fencing in my side yard as long as it is below 2m in height... no problem.

Q1 -- Is there any issue that my gas meter would be behind the fence? If it can be behind the fence, how is gas usage read?

Q2 -- Should I extend the fence to the very corner of the house and encompass the electrical box (since it is wireless now anyway)? Or should I have the fence meet the house a few feet back from the corner?

Q3 -- Are there any concerns or issues with my plan that perhaps I have not thought about?

It is likely hard to tell from the picture, but the distance between that 3-stem tree and the corner of my porch is at least 6 to 8 feet, so my intention is to extend the sidewalk around the side of the house into the back yard. I also intend to install double doors on the fence front so I can park my trailer in the side yard. I have not yet decided if I will make a concrete pad or patio stone pad or stone pad for the trailer -- or just park it on grass until I figure it out.

Any comments/criticisms/recommendations related to this project are welcome and appreciated.

From the image above it looks like you're going to loop in your neighbour's tree. Are they ok with that?

Yeah, the picture is a bit misleading and crude additions in MS Paint didn't help... the fence won't be anywhere near the neighbour's tree. In fact, if you look closely in that picture there used to be a small fence all along the side yard right to the curb on the front yard. It was rotting and in bad shape so I removed it last spring right around when this picture was taken.

If I were to bring the fence to the corner of the house, the doors would have to open inwards. If I set it back 3 or 4' from the corner, the doors can open outwards and clear my tree.

I won't be removing that tree and this would only be for a small utility trailer -- one that normally folds and sits in my garage. Also the trailer doesn't have to sit there... it could go back in the garage, or once I have the fence at the back of the side yard removed it could even go to the back yard.

From the image above it looks like you're going to loop in your neighbour's tree.

It does? Holy cRRap how do you keep it between the guardrails?

If I were to bring the fence to the corner of the house, the doors would have to open inwards. If I set it back 3 or 4' from the corner, the doors can open outwards and clear my tree.

gates that open in are a pain, trailer needs moved back , gates that open out need swing room. Maybe consider a removable panel made to look like the fence, less hardware required and needs no space.

From the image above it looks like you're going to loop in your neighbour's tree. Are they ok with that?

With every post, you make me laugh more and more ?

Have you made a mess with coffee?

And now a cross-thread-tie in!
If I was drinking some now I would have!

OP, I can't really make it out in the pics, but how is it going to look for your neighbour? It doesn't seem like it will be an issue, but I like to play it safe.

OP, I can't really make it out in the pics, but how is it going to look for your neighbour? It doesn't seem like it will be an issue, but I like to play it safe.

Oh do you? His neighbour has an angel. I'm loving the positive energy you put forth. I think it's contagious, even cousin earls' cracking wise. Of course that could be the pain meds too. Anyway, have a great day!

And now a cross-thread-tie in!
If I was drinking some now I would have!

The neighbours will have a nice view of the fence and less of my house, but they have a fairly wide side yard too as our houses are kind of positioned like /\ as opposed to ||.

Anyway, the neighbours on that side are renters and the tenants seem to change every six months or so (maybe due to their ******* neighbour ;-) ) so while this tenant might notice a difference, the next one won't know any better.

As for the owner of the house... I only ever see him when there is a tenant change, never otherwise. I doubt he would care and probably would be happy I am not asking him for money to replace our shared fence in the back yard.

Hello Motorcycle Mike, well here is more or less an official type of response.....take it for what it is...

Diagram and fence schematics appear ok
In terms of blocking off meter that would be a gas company issue , as long as they have access to read meter somehow whether it be walking around house through back
I would have him call zoning in regards to parking a small trailer in side yard though ,there are restrictions and setbacks etc

hope this helps

as for the trailer, if it's out of sight it's more or less out of mind, and unless a neighbor complains, I think you will be good to go....that being my opinion only

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom