Nitrogen for Motorcycle tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Nitrogen for Motorcycle tires

xX-GMan-Xx

Site Supporter
I've heard Nitrogen holds its pressure regardless of temperature changes and due to slightly larger molecule size it does not escape the tire. Is it a good idea to fill Motorcycle tires with Nitrogen?

And can we mix Nitrogen with regular compressed air in tires?

Air is 72% nitrogen already. Yes you can mix air with nitrogen.

You can fill moto tires with nitrogen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard Nitrogen holds its pressure regardless of temperature changes and due to slightly larger molecule size it does not escape the tire. Is it a good idea to fill Motorcycle tires with Nitrogen?

And can we mix Nitrogen with regular compressed air in tires?

Most of the claims made for filling tires with nitrogen are either complete bunk, or are based on misunderstandings of physics.

If you are filling your tires with air, you are already filling them with 78% nitrogen, so yes, it mixes fine with air.

Now as for the temperature and pressure relationships ... All gases which are at pressures well above their corresponding boiling points (oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, argon all fit this description under normal atmospheric conditions) follow something called the ideal gas law with extreme accuracy: PV=nRT where P=absolute pressure, V= volume, N=number of moles of gas (basically related to the amount of gas that we are talking about), R is a universal constant, T=absolute temperature. The inside of a tire is a fixed volume and once you have closed that tire valve, it is also a fixed mass (i.e. fixed number of moles). So then P = T multiplied by a constant, i.e. the absolute pressure is proportional to the absolute temperature. It doesn't matter what the gas is. Oxygen, nitrogen, doesn't matter.

There is one constituent of normal air that we have not discussed ... Water.

Water is NOT far enough away from its normal boiling temperature for the above equation to hold true. In fact, at normal ambient temperatures, it can exist as both a gas and a liquid (but hopefully not a solid, unless you are riding in winter). When water changes state from liquid to gas, there is an enormous increase in its volume. If this is happening inside a fixed volume, this translates to a larger-than-gas-law-predicts change in its pressure. The vapor pressure of water is very strongly dependent on temperature.

Compressed air coming out of a normal ordinary air compressor ... contains water that was condensed out of the air.

Nitrogen coming out of a gas cylinder ... does not. So the advantage of using nitrogen coming from a gas cylinder is really that it doesn't contain water.

Compressed air that has gone through an air dryer (industrial air compressors often have this, to avoid having water cause trouble in their system) ... will have the same effect.

But ... If you lubricated your tire beads with a soap and water solution in order to help seat the bead ... guess what; you just introduced some liquid water to the system which wipes out all foreseeable advantage of using either dry nitrogen or dry compressed air.

Nitrogen molecules "bigger" than oxygen molecules? No, not appreciably so; not enough to make an appreciable difference in this application. Your tires are not made of selective membrane material (used in oxygen purifiers - to help old folks breathe when their lungs don't work well enough any more).

"So why do aircraft use nitrogen" ... because aircraft tires are subject to very heavy heat loads on landing, and nitrogen removes a potential fire/explosion source! And the inflation pressure required on tires for a Boeing 747 might be a little above what a normal shop air compressor can do.

Lol I love it when we get a dose of reality from someone with the right scientific and technical background... Doesn't prevent the occasional zealot from arguing anyway, though :cool:

And car dealerships charge for it with your new car. Granted it's buried in the agreed OTD price, but they mix it into the calculation.

And car dealerships charge for it with your new car. Granted it's buried in the agreed OTD price, but they mix it into the calculation.

Replacing the nitrogen with plain air will also cost extra :cool:

Most dealerships will package it in with some sort of tire/rim warranty so it's not a complete waste of money.

Most of the claims made for filling tires with nitrogen are either complete bunk, or are based on misunderstandings of physics.

If you are filling your tires with air, you are already filling them with 78% nitrogen, so yes, it mixes fine with air.

Now as for the temperature and pressure relationships ... All gases which are at pressures well above their corresponding boiling points (oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, argon all fit this description under normal atmospheric conditions) follow something called the ideal gas law with extreme accuracy: PV=nRT where P=absolute pressure, V= volume, N=number of moles of gas (basically related to the amount of gas that we are talking about), R is a universal constant, T=absolute temperature. The inside of a tire is a fixed volume and once you have closed that tire valve, it is also a fixed mass (i.e. fixed number of moles). So then P = T multiplied by a constant, i.e. the absolute pressure is proportional to the absolute temperature. It doesn't matter what the gas is. Oxygen, nitrogen, doesn't matter.

There is one constituent of normal air that we have not discussed ... Water.

Water is NOT far enough away from its normal boiling temperature for the above equation to hold true. In fact, at normal ambient temperatures, it can exist as both a gas and a liquid (but hopefully not a solid, unless you are riding in winter). When water changes state from liquid to gas, there is an enormous increase in its volume. If this is happening inside a fixed volume, this translates to a larger-than-gas-law-predicts change in its pressure. The vapor pressure of water is very strongly dependent on temperature.

Compressed air coming out of a normal ordinary air compressor ... contains water that was condensed out of the air.

Nitrogen coming out of a gas cylinder ... does not. So the advantage of using nitrogen coming from a gas cylinder is really that it doesn't contain water.

Compressed air that has gone through an air dryer (industrial air compressors often have this, to avoid having water cause trouble in their system) ... will have the same effect.

But ... If you lubricated your tire beads with a soap and water solution in order to help seat the bead ... guess what; you just introduced some liquid water to the system which wipes out all foreseeable advantage of using either dry nitrogen or dry compressed air.

Nitrogen molecules "bigger" than oxygen molecules? No, not appreciably so; not enough to make an appreciable difference in this application. Your tires are not made of selective membrane material (used in oxygen purifiers - to help old folks breathe when their lungs don't work well enough any more).

"So why do aircraft use nitrogen" ... because aircraft tires are subject to very heavy heat loads on landing, and nitrogen removes a potential fire/explosion source! And the inflation pressure required on tires for a Boeing 747 might be a little above what a normal shop air compressor can do.

nice post, I secretly snicker when ever I see a car with green valve stem caps.

AMSOIL TIRE NITROGEN gives 12-15% better traction over regular nitrogen and over 20% over regular air.

Nitrogen is free at Costco so a lot of those green capped cars do not belong to some nitrogen-elitist d-bags. ;)

Anyhow, I agree that it's more of a marketing gimmick, doubt the benefits will be noticeable for street use, maybe in racing. Still, having higher nitrogen concentration inside the tire does not hurt. Especially if it minimizes water content as Brian mentioned. If anyone wants to swap air for nitro on their motorcycle, come by Dixie and Dundas Costco, I'll hook you up, no charge. Do yourself a favour and don't pay for it.

Don`t forget that you must first get rid of your Winter air before riding. Some stations now have marked "Summer air here" Pay the extra.
Makes me feel like I am floating. Nitrogen is only good with Summer air.

Unless you can suck out all the air in your tire when you mount it, there's already going to be an oxygen/nitrogen mix inside the tire when you top it up with more nitrogen. Unless you're mounting the tire in a nitrogen-sealed room...

So all you're really doing is diluting the existing 20% oxygen mix with more nitrogen. Worth the extra money?

Last edited:
Unless you can suck out all the air in your tire when you mount it, there's already going to be an oxygen/nitrogen mix inside the tire when you top it up with more nitrogen. Unless you're mounting the tire in a nitrogen-sealed room...

So all you're really doing is diluting the existing 20% oxygen mix with more nitrogen. Worth the extra money?
I don't like when you come here speaking sense & logic

Back
Top Bottom