UAV/drone | GTAMotorcycle.com

UAV/drone

Slim Jim

Does anyone fly one. I'm looking a DJI vision 2 plus v3.0

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Does anyone fly one. I'm looking a DJI vision 2 plus v3.0

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Did you end up getting one? I've wanted one for awhile now and finally getting a bit more serious about saving for one.

DJI has the phantom 3 out now which looks pretty slick... so does the 3dr Solo but the fact that the phantom comes WITH camera makes it quite a bit cheaper.

Seems to be on sale now (for tax refund season?? lol) - $1160 isn't cheap, but compared to close to $2000 for the 3dr solo similarly equipped it's definitely becoming more affordable to own a decent drone:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craf...tock-free-shipping-omniviewtech-ca/1110164239

Did you end up getting one? I've wanted one for awhile now and finally getting a bit more serious about saving for one.

DJI has the phantom 3 out now which looks pretty slick... so does the 3dr Solo but the fact that the phantom comes WITH camera makes it quite a bit cheaper.

Seems to be on sale now (for tax refund season?? lol) - $1160 isn't cheap, but compared to close to $2000 for the 3dr solo similarly equipped it's definitely becoming more affordable to own a decent drone:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craf...tock-free-shipping-omniviewtech-ca/1110164239
Not yet. I think they are going to make new legislation on them. I've heard rumors that there will be designated parks where they can be flown. To many idiots flying them choose to airports. Spend the extra few hundred and get the pro version, better camera and I believe better controller.

https://m.facebook.com/GreatLakesUAVMedia/

I fly the big DJI stuff professionally. What do you want to know?

Nice footage and pics!!

For the same approximate price point, are there any other models to consider other than the solo or phantom? I really like the quality and range lightbridge technology provides, but I also think it would be nice to have one that floats and/or is water resistant. Any suggestions appreciated!

I fly them too, but I don't care for the camera's and GPS. I fly acro with mine, all manual mode with a super stiff CF frame called the Raven. Flips, rolls, suicides, you name it. Lots of fun on those hot days where you just want to sit outside with a beer and relax!

[video=youtube;-EWON2qzrJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EWON2qzrJQ[/video]

I really hope they don't require registration for something like this. It's all flying over private property with trees and dirt. No GPS or anything to fault and fly-away into space. Its no different than a little foam RC airplane.... except the 100kph and carbon fiber thing :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice footage and pics!!

For the same approximate price point, are there any other models to consider other than the solo or phantom? I really like the quality and range lightbridge technology provides, but I also think it would be nice to have one that floats and/or is water resistant. Any suggestions appreciated!

Imo you can't do much better than a Phantom to get started, great platform and reliability. And they are constantly updating the software with new cool features. There are tons of other options, but DJI is one of the most reliable flight electronics packages in the industry.
You guys just need to remember that if you take pictures or video AT ALL for cash or any gain really transport Canada can make things really hard on you if you are not insured and have a SFOC under most circumstances. $5000-25,000 fines.
Very cool JP0160, a few friends and myself are building 250 size fpv racers.. I prefer to fly with no stabilization and fast. I still fly rc helicopters regularly

50ish years ago you had to have a radio licence for R/C planes. All kinds of rules and regs. If enough idiots abuse the system they might bring them back.

I've got a Blade 350 QX 3 I won in the Royal Distributing contest last year. Actually tempted to sell it and get a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced in the not too distant future. Shooting with my Hero 3 Black is fun, but it would be a LOT better with the gimbal, remote view, and 4km range of the Phantom 3 Advanced.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Phantom 3 Advanced at this time (only difference between Advanced and Professional now is the professional can record video at 4k, although the bitrate for this has been criticized by many as not high enough for proper 4k footage). Previously the professional came with a better charger, but now even the chargers are the same.

The phantom is not water resistant nor does it float, so if I fly near water I'd want to build some sort of pontoon or float system. Maybe switch to carbon fiber props to help offset the extra weight of the floats.

I have a 3DR Iris+ with a gimbal and gopro. 3DR is the leader in terms of GPS/mission type flying. Also if you want to do custom stuff the pixhawk is pretty useful.

Best buy has the Phantom 3 pro on sale for 1348

Found this thread thankfully before I started a new one! Does anyone have any small beginner type drones? Looking to muck around and trying to keep costs under $200 or so as it's just for kicks (same as my 125 was to test the waters!) Been doing some minor checking out and found some good reviews for a beginner SYMA X5C or similar would suit my needs.

Thoughts?

Found this thread thankfully before I started a new one! Does anyone have any small beginner type drones? Looking to muck around and trying to keep costs under $200 or so as it's just for kicks (same as my 125 was to test the waters!) Been doing some minor checking out and found some good reviews for a beginner SYMA X5C or similar would suit my needs.

Thoughts?

My enthusiasm with a basic two blade copter lasted about as long as the battery. A friend is into the big gas copters and they go to meets all over, been doing it for years.

If I was going to get back into it I would want a camera drone but $500 to $2000 depending on quality and options is hard to justify for what I want to do. I live near / under a flight path so not to sure about backyard practice, checking the eaves for leaves etc. Even wondered if there was any coin in that market considering the quality of the better cameras. Real estate presentations are starting to use them when it makes the property look good.

I was at Staples near Sherway and noticed they had drones. Total cheapies to the mid teens and you don't have to guess which is which. They had a camera drone for $229 IIRC but looked like it came out of a cereal box.

I don't know if this still applies but it used to be that some cheapies had different control patterns and if you trained on one to avoid crashing a more expensive model you had to unlearn the pattern before moving forward to better things.

I learned the curse of testing the waters when I first camped and, not being sure if I would like it, bought the cheapest sleeping bag etc. Needless to say I hated it. Years later circumstances led me to better equipment and camping turned out OK. Then again some people buy the best to start with and still hate it. The same could go for drones with limited capabilities.

My buddy who is really into it belongs to a club near Barrie and goes to yearly events so there is a social factor as well.

The social factor is important. Just think how useless a Harley would be if there weren't coffee shops to ride to.

Back
Top Bottom