Shift linkage position. How to find the correct position? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shift linkage position. How to find the correct position?

ravensix

Site Supporter
Oh crap!

So today I was changing my oil (yamaha r6) and wen I went to go take off my shift rod or shift linkage or what ever you call it, well I forgot to mark the position it was in.

Am I screwed? how do you determine the correct position?

Oh crap!

So today I was changing my oil (yamaha r6) and wen I went to go take off my shift rod or shift linkage or what ever you call it, well I forgot to mark the position it was in.

Am I screwed? how do you determine the correct position?
There's a dot on the collar and a line on the shaft sometimes, or you line the dot/line on the shaft with the gap in the collar, etc.

Alignnotches.jpg

Last edited:
There's a dot on the collar and a line on the shaft sometimes, or you line the dot/line on the shaft with the gap in the collar, etc.

Alignnotches.jpg

Is it supposed to always line up like that? wen I put it back on it was a bit crooked. not sure what gear I am in either :S

Is it supposed to always line up like that? wen I put it back on it was a bit crooked. not sure what gear I am in either :S
It doesn't matter what gear you're in, line up the dot with the line and you're good to go! The only time I've ever seen it NOT supposed to line up is when someone seriously messed up the adjustments on the shaft (i.e. down by the rearsets). It would only shift up gears, not down, until it was moved 1 tooth away from the line.

shift link.jpg

This is how mine looks, from the looks, its just off by a tooth, should i re position it so it aligns perfectly?

Alright thanks for the help, I'll try to fix it tomorrow wen its nicer n more light.

The marking is for the factory original location. You don't necessarily have to put it back in that location. If the ergonomics work out better a tooth or two different, or if you run out of safe adjustment at the threaded link, it may work out better in a different position. Trial and error until you find out what works most comfortably for you.

The linkage will work most effectively when the angle between the shift shaft, the ball joint, and the shift rod is 90 degrees.

The marking is for the factory original location. You don't necessarily have to put it back in that location. If the ergonomics work out better a tooth or two different, or if you run out of safe adjustment at the threaded link, it may work out better in a different position. Trial and error until you find out what works most comfortably for you.

The linkage will work most effectively when the angle between the shift shaft, the ball joint, and the shift rod is 90 degrees.

Thanks for the info. I thought I effed up because it was the first time I DIY oil change on the bike, and I took that link apart and once I assembled it was wen I seen that it wasn't lined up. So I thought it was messed up lol.

Back
Top Bottom