Insurance on a US bike...am I covered? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance on a US bike...am I covered?

Jeprox13

Hello good people,

My dad lives in Buffalo and just bought himself his first bike. He comes back every weekend and when the weather turns around will be riding instead.
I'm curious if there are any downfalls if I were to ride his bike here. Am I even allowed? Are police/laws picky about how a vehicle is insured? Am I or is he safe riding it here? What if there's an accident...he should technically be covered, right? Can he have me as a secondary?

Thanks!

I think this would be best answered by your actual insurance broker rather than the forum's help. Not saying they aren't knowledgeable. I'll rather just be safe then sorry...

You can ride it occasionally if you don't live with him if you do you have to be listed as a driver on the policy. His policy will be for North America and will cover you to ride it if you have permission. His policy will also spell out how long he can be in canada before his insurance isn't valid...In other words he can't just insure it in the US and leave it here full time

You can ride it occasionally if you don't live with him if you do you have to be listed as a driver on the policy. His policy will be for North America and will cover you to ride it if you have permission. His policy will also spell out how long he can be in canada before his insurance isn't valid...In other words he can't just insure it in the US and leave it here full time

Thanks for your response =) I'll make sure we're transparent.

At one time a Canadian couldn't operate a US register vehicle here. Something to do with no duties being paid. Hopefully that has been scrapped.

Hello good people,

My dad lives in Buffalo and just bought himself his first bike. He comes back every weekend and when the weather turns around will be riding instead.
I'm curious if there are any downfalls if I were to ride his bike here. Am I even allowed? Are police/laws picky about how a vehicle is insured? Am I or is he safe riding it here? What if there's an accident...he should technically becovered, right? Can he have me as a secondary?

Thanks!

First thing your Dad has to do is to contact his insurance company and discuss the matter at hand.
Do not go by what people are telling you on the previous comments, that information is based on the rules and regulations of Canadian insurance.

I/we don’t know what rules and regulations the Insurance companies in the USA have while driving the vehicles outside the USA.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom