2002 Yamaha FZ1 - 195,000 kilometers - worth keeping on the road? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2002 Yamaha FZ1 - 195,000 kilometers - worth keeping on the road?

BeastieGirl

My dealer is asking me if I really want to put money into my bike to get it on the road this spring.

I bought it used in 2008 with 34,000 kms on it for $5,200.00 so feel I have gotten my money's worth. Have had to do ordinary maintenance, changed a few nuts and bolts that have worn out. Other than having the carbs and valves adjusted, no engine work has been required. Have taken in for a spring tune up every year since I bought it - change the oil regularly.

On the negative side I do ride rain or shine and obviously long distances. I have been sideswiped and dropped it a couple of times :-(

This year is due for a valve clearance adjustment again - not a cheap undertaking. New brakes, chain and sprockets are or will be due before the end of the riding season. I just had the front fork seals replaced in the fall and one is leaking again - badly - which doesn't sound like a good thing.

Am I unrealistic to think I can get another couple of seasons which for me can range between 20,000 to 30,000 kms? I really love this bike.

Would appreciate input from those with more mechanical savvy than me!

Front fork seal leaking again might be due to worn internal component (ie: bushing) worst case, a cut/etc on the fork leg.

It all come down to how much you love it really. Maybe time to change for a newer FZ1?

Get your bike out of the dealers. And over to a race shop. Where they can and know how to find problems in suspension and fix it. Not just change a fork seal. And prolly a whole lot cheaper

You can easily get another couple of seasons, even more. Getting your valves checked doesn't necessarily mean they need adjustment, the clearances could still be within spec.

Why don't you pm frekeyguy & have him do it for cheap? Run it to the ground

If you'd end up buying another used bike there's a good chance you'd need to do a valve clearance check/adjustment on it too. Same goes for chain and sprockets and if you have some handy friends with tools that's something you should be able to have installed for a few beers.

Get your bike out of the dealers. And over to a race shop. Where they can and know how to find problems in suspension and fix it. Not just change a fork seal. And prolly a whole lot cheaper

Agreed! Even if there is something badly worn in your forks you could likely find a used set in good shape for a few hundred bucks and swap the forks out.

I think it depends if your going on long rides which I'm thinking you are with that kinda km maybe trade it in for something fresher. If no long distance rides like down south just fix it maybe put a grand in to it and ride it a few more years !

If you're hiring other people to do your mechanical work I don't think it's cost effective to go forward with this high mileage machine. It's served you well and owes you nothing. You seem to really enjoy riding and far. Do you need the mild stress of riding a time bomb far from home in the middle of summer? I'd be scouting around for potential replacements asap.

do the arithmetic, how much to do the valve check, fork service (this one may be tricky) , spockets and chain, odds and ends,
How much is it worth to sell it off.

If you fix known issues your riding a known quantity, by a new to you bike and what are you starting with.

Does your dealer have an option for you as they proposed the thoughts of not fixing .

Just post a pic of yourself riding it in a bikini. Your inbox will be full in no time. Befriend one of those bastards. You get your bike fixed for free.

Have him shine your boots while he's at it

If you worry about it breaking mechanically while on tour - Replace it or get it fixed as much as you could. But as long as it rides I'll keep it and get another bike to ride when this one is in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say do the maintenance and keep it going.

Mine rolled around the clock last year. Almost not worth selling. It still runs well and just needs regular maintenance stuff.

These bike especially this generation have a good history of running high kms, a few examples of 200,000 plus miles on FZ1oa board.

I would get the shop to do a compression check when doing the valves, and keep riding it until it dies.

I'm gonna go against the grain, and say it may be worth looking at another or something else. The higher the mileage, the more things are going to be worn, the larger chance of having a breakdown while touring away from home.

Your bike sounds like it needs probably about $1000 of repairs (on the cheap side, don't know what the shop is quoting you). That's what you know of, worst part about higher mileage bikes, there is always more and more that will need in the short term. You can likely pickup a low km same gen FZ1 for $3500. Or something newer in the $5-6k range.

Something to consider.

Thanks for the input - its actually quite helpful. I'm leaning towards the "ride it till it dies" approach, but got out for a few minutes this weekend and there is also an occasional grinding noise in the front end - so...

So basically I'm thinking if I can top out at $1,500.00 - I'll keep it running at least for this season. Tires, chain and sprockets should be good for one more season. If not, then scrap it. Part of the reason I don't want to get a new bike this year, aside from financial considerations, is when I change, I think I want to go new and make it my last bike - which probably means either a cruiser or maybe another Burgman. Cut down on insurance (not to mention speeding tickets), fuel injection and no chain drive!

Again, the input has been helpful and appreciated.

If you decide to scrap it I would gladly take it off your hands and leave a case of beer in its place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom