2002 Yamaha FZ1 - 195,000 kilometers - worth keeping on the road? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2002 Yamaha FZ1 - 195,000 kilometers - worth keeping on the road?

Congrats on the upgrade. Had a FZ6, fantastic bike

OMG we sound like a bunch of vultures in this thread.....LOL.

itsatrap.jpg

I adopted a new bike today. I plan to rip it apart and give it a thorough once-over. I've got some plans for it too! I promised that I'll give it a good home.
a11b20fb4dabcf5eaf90a7a7e3837575.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent some time in the garage with the ole girl yesterday.

She has a lot of life left still and she always wanted to be a street fighter... So that's the plan. And no I don't mean one of those "I crashed and I can't afford to fix it so now it's a street fighter" builds. I mean an actual proper build.

R1 fork swap
Handlebar swap to something straighter, more of a MX bar
A headlight solution. Maybe something like the 1st gen speed triple or a fork mounted mini cowl with headlight.
Then finally some paint. I'm thinking white.

Sure!!

It will be a slow process though. I hope to scavenge the parts together as inexpensively as possible.

Last edited:
Sure!!

It will be a slow process though. I hope to scavenge the parts together as inexpensively as possible.

Did you get the bike from op?

Yes I did.

Another bonus was that it was lowered but with adjustable dog bones, so returning it to stock ride height will be a snap.

Then you could make it into a sweet dual sport bike. Blasting berms in 2nd would be epic!

Anything that doesn't include the half-fairing is going to look 100x better.

Sweet-*** bike, well played.

Well I do love me some custom scramblers. That's definitely an option. That would require a tail section swap to not look dumb though.

I'll investigate!

I'd also add a belly pan if I went with the streetfighter look. Pyramid makes a nice one for about $150.

As much as I love a cool scrambler I think it would be a lot of work to turn the FZ into something I would actually end up happy with. The sporty FZ tail just doesn't suit a scrambler, something very custom would be in order.

This BMW is one of the cooler scrambler build's I've seen... Mucho worko to make a FZ1 look anything like this... so back to the streetfighter plan.

r1200r-lazareth-12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom