Frame sliders or engine covers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Frame sliders or engine covers

sparkybp

Hey just wanted to see what you guys are doing with your track bikes. I've got frame sliders on but the last time I went down it actually bent the bolt on the frame slider and the metal bracket under the puck was loose due to the bent bolt I could swivel it around. I'm thinking for track use might be better off with just engine covers. What do you guys run ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Case covers are a must have either way. I've always ran frame sliders on my race bikes as well.

I'm a big believer in the sliders - saved my bike many times with no damage to the cases and little damage to anything else. This is really bike-specific though. On my bike both sliders attach to a single long "bolt" (threaded rod?) that passes through the frame and also the engine cases. Very strong. On other bikes they mount on flimsy tabs, or on vulnerable parts of the frame that could dent of bend.

The other issue is that sliders may catch and flip the bike in a certain type of crash. I have never had that unfortunate experience and so remain a believer. YMMV.

I still don't believe a frame slider/engine mount bolt will flip a 400 lb bike that wasn't going to flip anyway. I snapped one will be a ***** to get out though.

I think there's a fair chance when I crashed that mine flopped on its other side after first impact and slide. Not sure though I was busy flying ahead of the bike. My girlfriend who was watching said she thinks it flipped as well but doesn't know for sure as she was watching me fly. There was damage that would suggest both sides made contact with the ground.

Okay yeah true I just figured it flipped due to the state of the frame slider that actually had its bolt bent and freely swivelling around after the crash

I run both and axle sliders too

Last season I crashed 2 times at the track, both times frame sliders really minimized damage to my bike...I carry spare rearsets and handle bars anyways, but in a lot of cases sliders can make the different between breaking them or not

A frame is a lot more expensive than a rearset or foot peg or a handle bar IMO -

On a street bike i would put frame sliders, to save the fairings from a drop or low side, but on a track/race bike I see very little benefit (savings cosmetics or low price parts) and a lot of risk (Frame or a bike flipping)

But it is a matter of preference so anyone does what they feel is best for them.

Case covers is a must for sure.

A frame is a lot more expensive than a rearset or foot peg or a handle bar IMO -

On a street bike i would put frame sliders, to save the fairings from a drop or low side, but on a track/race bike I see very little benefit (savings cosmetics or low price parts) and a lot of risk (Frame or a bike flipping)

But it is a matter of preference so anyone does what they feel is best for them.

Case covers is a must for sure.

That is the issue I have never damaged or broken a frame with frame sliders, and I have gone down at some pretty decent speeds. To each their own, I have experience crashing with and without frame sliders and I prefer to use them....They have done well for me, so I continue to use them, I just replace the pucks and if its a big one maybe the bolt.

I have also had a few riders from this board, message me after going down, saying their buddies say their bent slider mounting bolt means their frame is garbage and their bike is a write off. Then I simply remove the bent bolt for them, and repace it with a new one and their bike is fine....And actually one guys bike was branded just because of the slider being bent, the insurance adjuster said that was considered frame damage. So I got the bolt out for him, he went back to them and they reversed the branding back to clean title because there actually was no damage to the frame. Maybe he will chime in

Ive also seen bikes flip 10 feet in the air end of end at Callabogie after low siding and sliding into the curbs, slider or no sliders make no different in those cases. Other parts ripped off the frame that had nothing to do with frame sliders

Last edited:
I still don't believe a frame slider/engine mount bolt will flip a 400 lb bike that wasn't going to flip anyway. I snapped one will be a ***** to get out though.

This sounds pretty damn logical to me. I've never really thought about it but there are a number of parts that can just as easily contribute to a flip.

On my bike both sliders attach to a single long "bolt" (threaded rod?) that passes through the frame and also the engine cases. Very strong.

I've had a through bolt like this with frame sliders on the ends ripped completely out of the bike before. We went out to where I crashed at the end of the day and "oh hey, there are my frame sliders!!!" Good news was all the new parts went in without issue, everything stayed straight.

Just to add in I'm running covers, frame sliders and axle sliders this season.

But ultimately, I found the best way to prevent damage to the bike in a crash is to have it fall on top of you!!!! (Yes, I'm kidding... me and the bike were very lucky)

This sounds pretty damn logical to me. I've never really thought about it but there are a number of parts that can just as easily contribute to a flip.

Pegs, bars, mufflers, etc etc that one wimpy bolt isnt flipping anything IMO

No one will suggest that case covers are a bad thing.

There are two schools of thought for frame sliders. Some say that they can add to the risk of your bike flipping if your bike gets into the dirt and the added risk isn't worth it. If your bike stays on the pavement the frame sliders will help.

Personally my thoughts are in line with with Kellen's. The frame slider is only one extra catch point, there are foot pegs, handlebars, etc, etc. Lots of things there already that could catch and cause a flip so adding one extra thing only increases the risk incrementally.

One thing I should point out is that you should avoid no-cut frame sliders, or any frame slider that uses an offset bracket. Those are bad and really only useful for falling over while standing still.

I am a believer that more is better. Kinda like body protection or redundant parts on an airplane. Little extra weight and "cant hurt' to have both. Go down hard enough and nothing will matter. I have broken sliders off (always use cut in ones, avoid the no cut sliders) and also burnt and broke through race covers.

Pegs, bars, mufflers, etc etc that one wimpy bolt isnt flipping anything IMO

Just seems like frame sliders angle the wheels/tires "contact patch" to end up closer to the ground during a slide if there's a ridge it may catch easier rather then if the bike was laying flatter on the ground... I know it's all speculative but I'm trying not to dismiss either chance.

Back
Top Bottom