S/he did it too! | GTAMotorcycle.com

S/he did it too!

micelli.i

Video disclosure shows another vehicle doing the exact same infraction a mere couple of minutes before me. The officer did not charge the first driver but did charge me. Any merit to raising this issue at trial? :confused: Thanks.

Thanks for your replies. I get that officers have discretion. But, considering the officer was at a "look out" spot for HTA offenders and that there was no unusual/exceptional circumstances to let the first driver off, it seemed to be an arbitrary decision. Not sure "discretion" is that broad...

Even in the schoolyard, that's a lame excuse for your actions.

That, and, "He told me to do it!"

:)

had the same problem me and another guy (guy in car me on bike) did the same infraction, i was in front of the car and went around the car and came after me.

Discretion is as "broad" as the officer wishes it to be, hence why it is called discretion. When i used to do traffic duty, I would at times see several drivers commit the same offence, I didn't stop everyone, I stopped the ones I did for various reasons. Might be a young driver that I felt would learn and benefit from a speaking to, Might be someone I had dealt with before and had given a break to, now it was time for a "pocket book lesson", may be an older crappy vehicle which may have other safety issues or no insurance etc etc etc. You get the idea.

Just because someone else did wrong, isn't an excuse under the law, nor is it even a mitigating factor. I guess you could try the whole, "But your honor he/she did it wrong first so I did it too", but I doubt it will impress the JP...lol

Thanks for your replies. I get that officers have discretion. But, considering the officer was at a "look out" spot for HTA offenders and that there was no unusual/exceptional circumstances to let the first driver off, it seemed to be an arbitrary decision. Not sure "discretion" is that broad...

So, basically, after letting the first offender slip thru the dragnet everybody else committing the same vehicular crime against humanity gets a free pass? Sounds good to me. On a side note was it a transgender individual? They get victim status, I think.

its not possible for the cop to catch every person that makes an infraction. you just got the short end of the stick. wrong place wrong time.

And the opposite can be true. Was riding with some guys in NS, RCMP pulled over the first guy, the rest of us pulled over to make sure all was alright and we all got tickets for speeding. All riding together=same speed. The moral of the story is....pull over a long way down the road and wait for your buddy there.

Silver minivan vs red Mustang both doing the same speed. Guess who gets pulled over.

A beige Toyota Camry is a cloaking device.

It ain't right but it is what it is.

One bit of logic I heard from a LEO was "When I go duck hunting I don't shoot every duck."

I recall a study being released WAYYYY back when I was on the road, and it stated that the color vehicle receiving the highest percentage of speeding tickets were red. The studies authors attributed this to red being a much more visible color from a greater distance. Therefore, the officers eye was drawn to red vehicles more frequently.

So the beige Camry seems like a logical choice.. also why my bike is white..lol

Silver minivan vs red Mustang both doing the same speed. Guess who gets pulled over.

The silver minivan for sure!! .. I have a bright red Mustang which is VERY loud and racing stripes. I pass OPP on the highway going 130 ALL SUMMER LONG.. lol.. but I totally get the Camry cloaking device.. lol

Common police officer's response to this sort of enquiry:

"Do you ever go fishing? Do you catch ALL the fish?"

In addition to the possible explanation of discretionary enforcement, the officer might also have been doing something at the time that the previous car went through. For example he could have been making noted about a stop just prior to that. He could have been talking to his division on radio or cell. He might have been taking a break and the only thing that would have changed that would be the sort of obvious and immediately dangerous behaviour, that he couldn't ignore.

As stated, no bearing on your charge.

Back
Top Bottom