Sena 20s warning - read this thread before you buy - might be fixed.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sena 20s warning - read this thread before you buy - might be fixed..

MacDoc

Site Supporter
It does look like Sena has produced a new design to fix the problem but too early to tell

end of a long dismal thread ....my kid just emailed me ours had failed - and he's been using it for two days...

Good news guys... Finally. the latch appears to be fixed. I just got my RMA back and Sena sent me BRAND NEW UNITS. The latch is made from aluminum now like someone else said. That should fix my complaint (Broken latch and cover screws broken in plastic cover) I hope this works because I really like these units!!! Excited.

March 3, 2015, 7:29 PM
Robert Whitelaw
Glad to hear that the issue appears to have been remedied by a change to the latch. I have started having issues again with my replacement, but I did not want to swap it out till I heard there was a real solution in place. Sounds like it may be the time.

March 4, 2015, 10:49 AM
Thomashohl
Just a note on testing my units after Sena replaced both units with newer design. They work GREAT. All problems fixed. If you have these units and are having problems, send them back and get replacements. You worst be disappointed.

March 9, 2015, 1:35 PM
Steve Place
Can anyone verify the serial numbers of the affected base units? I purchased a dual kit new off amazon a month ago, serial 1409 (September 2014), and want to know if that was a fixed base unit, or if I should now send back my replacement which is unopened, for a refund to try and find in a retail store where I can see the serial number?

March 9, 2015, 3:03 PM
Felix Lugo
So it sounds like the base plate has been fixed by replacing the plastic latch by some kind of metal contraption. Was anything done to address the small plastic lip on the radio itself? I assume the metal part will now easily wear out that tiny lip that holds the radio unit in place. Once that goes, back to square one with the same problem. Can someone with a fixed unit confirm if the radio itself has been updated?

March 10, 2015, 9:31 AM
Thomashohl
150104374 is the serial on my replaced units.

I just received them about 2 weeks ago so they are very current. Also the groove appears to be deeper and the latch works perfectly now. Not sure about the FM reception issue because I never got the chance to use it on my old units but the new one works great. I'm very happy with my 20S now. I was really thinking I threw $500 away when I got the first one but now all is good.

http://support.sena.com/entries/50209680-20S-does-not-lock-onto-its-base?page=2

Re: Sena 20s warning - read this thread before you buy - caveat emptor

Not happy about this response

There is no design change on the 20S latch I understand this has been discussed on the forums but there is no changes.

Regards,
Wahyit Cheung

despite there being photos on the forum.

Not happy about this response

despite there being photos on the forum.

Sena seem to be like Jekle and Hyde.. Some people claim Sena Customer service is amazing, etc etc.. and others are claiming very opposite reactions. I have been following this hole debacle from last year. Not Impressed with Sena at all in the way they are handle the S20 and its issues.

Is this worth getting as an upgrade to my Cardo G9? I've just seen a place where I can get the single unit of the 20s for $246 which seems to be a reasonable price.

Is this worth getting as an upgrade to my Cardo G9? I've just seen a place where I can get the single unit of the 20s for $246 which seems to be a reasonable price.

If you can get it cheaper than MSRP then maybe, I have both the SMH-10 and Sena 20S. The SMH-10 is rock solid. The 20S is okay, and I havent had any issues like people online have compained about. For the most part I got the 20S so I could listen to music while I had a comms connection to my riding buddy. I do like how you can set up the headset and groups etc from a mobile phone though as well.

BTW - I PM'd you . I may have a brand new one for sale soon from my dual kit.

Hi folks, I just bought a set of 20s units at the January show. I previously had Scala G4 units. I haven't used these on a ride yet because my bike won't be taken out for a couple more weeks. Can someone tell me what exactly I should be looking for on these Sena 20S units to see if mine are the older possibly defective style or if they are the newer corrected units. I would just like to see if I should be taking them back to swap them out at the store where I bought them or talking to Sena directly or if they should be good to go.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I am looking at the 20s as well. I read through those 2 pages and there are only 1 or 2 people that got the fixed units. The new "revised" units look like their serial numbers start around 1502...etc

I wonder if there is a way to ensure that I don't get stuck with the old style clip.. Is the serial number visible through the box on the 20s? That would be the only way to tell I think..

Not happy campers.....sent in two of the units....one broken one not

got back ONE of the new lower units with the metal tab and not the other.( ie sent two, got one back )

Kid is furious.

Caveat emptor with SENA if this is how they treat customers.
They flat out denied they'd changed the designed....even tho the new ones are metal tabbed.

I picked up mine from Royal. They let me open the box to check it out, and I was able to confirm the tab was metal so I happily bought it. I guess it would be best to go into a store for now and open it up to check. My serial no starts with 1501..

Its pretty weird for a company like that to be so dodgy about what is happening with their units.

Exactly - quite disappointed.
At least I know we have a fall back....buy a single and then fight it out with SENA.

OK I, got mine and fitted it. Got one with the metal tab in. I ride with earplugs in and the bluetooth device volume isn't amazing and I can't hear any device voice prompts and the double tap for voice command is sporadic. It probably just needs fine tuning I hope in terms of speaker placement and some settings but if not it's an expensive lemon. The G9 had better voice commands (no need to double tap anything) and the volume was fine.

Less than impressed I got a dual set one turns off randomly the other keeps going into voice command mode for no reason.

Ugh ....our second unit has finally shipped and they finally acknowledged the design change to the aluminum tab.

I think we will take along our old Scalas just in case. the 20s had a very long "gestation period" after the announcement....looks like there are still big time growing pains.

Less than impressed I got a dual set one turns off randomly the other keeps going into voice command mode for no reason.

There is a feature called "motion sensor sensitivity" which puts you in voice command mode if you double tap on the face of the base plate or around the helmet near the communicator. The sensitivity may be set too high and tripping voice command mode inadvertently.

This is what happened to us, so we disabled the feature through the config menu (or you can do it through the app). Stupid feature, anyway.

Updated to 1.4 firmware and disabled the tap feature completely will see how this goes one it warms up again

sent from a device using a program

Chilly tonight at 7 - glad for the heated grips.

SENA was good.....we still have not got the second unit but set up was fine - had to use the stick on version - pairing a breeze and seems to behave with the iphone.....and bit time feature I wanted - I could use my own earphones. :D
Lock on is firm and it is staying on there ladies and gents......not going to risk a problem.

Now to memorize the manual....

Chilly tonight at 7 - glad for the heated grips.

SENA was good.....we still have not got the second unit but set up was fine - had to use the stick on version - pairing a breeze and seems to behave with the iphone.....and bit time feature I wanted - I could use my own earphones. :D
Lock on is firm and it is staying on there ladies and gents......not going to risk a problem.

Now to memorize the manual....
First dress rehearsal, helmet comm Jessie side bags, iPhone charger.

Mechanic says the tires are fine but doing brake pads as they are down far enough and between me and the luggage poor old Wee will be weighty.

Chasing down mcycle bits scattered during the move was a chore.
still missing a few bits but nothing critical.

Last edited:
Sena seems to be like google. When they started off in 2010 with the SMH10, that thing was solid. I even got a free upgrade to the USB version of the SMH10 (version 1 was not firmware upgradable). Their customer service was amazin, and they were a small(er) company back then for the things they do.
Now, like google, they seem to be "Evil". I follow the SENA support forums and a lot of people have had issues with them. I havent ridden my 20S in the rain yet, but I hope it doesnt crap out. The SMH10 was such a solid device.
I have one of the 140x ones from mid year last year.

Sena seems to be like google. When they started off in 2010 with the SMH10, that thing was solid. I even got a free upgrade to the USB version of the SMH10 (version 1 was not firmware upgradable). Their customer service was amazin, and they were a small(er) company back then for the things they do.
Now, like google, they seem to be "Evil". I follow the SENA support forums and a lot of people have had issues with them. I havent ridden my 20S in the rain yet, but I hope it doesnt crap out. The SMH10 was such a solid device.
I have one of the 140x ones from mid year last year.

I'm liking mine a bit better now. Voice commands still aren't as good as Cardo units though, but after playing with speaker position I've got very decent music volume now. I just can't hear any voice prompts but I think there's a small fix for that by playing with the jog dial in standby mode.

Back
Top Bottom