Changing entire Carbs? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changing entire Carbs?

countMiranda

Hey guys, first time posting here so bare with me,

I bought a 1980 Honda CB650C*. Have been working on it in the winter and looking at it as a cafe racer project. When I purchased it, it wasn't running, but I was getting ignition. Looked to be that the carbs just needed some cleaning, and plan was to remove, clean, & buy a carb rebuild kit. The problem is that I cannot find a carb rebuild kit for my model (which differs from the 1980 Honda CB650). More inspection shows that I have a damaged fuel jet and float pin in two of the carbs.

Having trouble find the exact model parts, and a proper rebuild kit, I was wondering how hard would it be to just get a whole new set of carbs?(obviously going to be a significant more in price) Or if I was to get a set of carbs from another bike, ie. Honda 750 or so, would that work as well if I was to throw that on my bike?

Thanks
-M.

Last edited:
Carbs off another bike would work in theory but the 4 bore centres would need to line up with the rubber intakes and be very close if not bang on in diameter. Carb length shouldn't be a deal breaker, it can almost always be accommodated. And then jetting of course.

Last edited:
What is the difference between a CB650 and CB650C ? I'm asking because I'm curious if the carbs are actually different or just carry a different part #.

The OEM Honda part number will be different for even the slightest calibration difference, but that doesn't mean nothing will interchange. Jets, floats, needles and seats, etc are usually standardized across all carbs of the same design series. (Obviously jets have different sizes, which you have to match or select correctly, but they will physically interchange.)

They will most likely be Keihin carbs. Find out what series / model they are (e.g. "CVK34" or some such similar designation). The "CVK" (or something similar - what you have might be the generation before CVK) describes the type or series, the number describes the effective venturi diameter.

Back
Top Bottom