Which generators? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which generators?

You don't necessarily need warmers just because you are using slicks. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely better to have warmers but as long as you take a lap or so to warm your tires you will be fine. I ran without warmers for my first few seasons, using both slicks and dot's with no issues as long as I took a lap or so to warm the tires.

As far as generators go, stick with Honda or Yamaha imho. Maybe the champions mentioned are good as well but I have never had any trouble with my used Yamaha that I picked up for a pretty good price. Keep scouring kijiji and such, good deals pop up on these genny's but you gotta be pretty quick.

I'll be doing more than a single track day this season! But yeah it did cross my mind to just swap right into DOTs and sell the slicks. But I figure I wouldn't get much money out of the used slicks anyway.

You don't necessarily need warmers just because you are using slicks. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely better to have warmers but as long as you take a lap or so to warm your tires you will be fine. I ran without warmers for my first few seasons, using both slicks and dot's with no issues as long as I took a lap or so to warm the tires.

As far as generators go, stick with Honda or Yamaha imho. Maybe the champions mentioned are good as well but I have never had any trouble with my used Yamaha that I picked up for a pretty good price. Keep scouring kijiji and such, good deals pop up on these genny's but you gotta be pretty quick.

Good advice thanks.

Honda/Yamaha are your best choices. They're simply better built and it's reflected in the pricetag. They hold their value better when you are ready to sell.

For cheapie Generator, look at the Generac iX2000 inverter. Generac knows a thing or two about generator technology more so than a crappy brand like Champion.

New Generac retails for around $600. I've seen brand new examples on Kijiji going for $400 cash.

It is slightly louder and use more gas than the Honda, but for its price point, it's a good deal...

Sent from my Passport

F that! Slicks with no warmers is sketchy. Then your going to cold tear them to pieces while never getting them
up to proper operating temp.

I've done it and it was not fun for the 4-6 laps they took to get to a decent temp where I wasn't sliding everywhere.

I'll be doing more than a single track day this season! But yeah it did cross my mind to just swap right DOTs and sell the slicks. But I figure I wouldn't get much money out of the used slicks anyway.

I just meant unless your going to stick with using slicks. You could always just save the slicks until you get the generator and are ready to run them.

I did about 4-5 trakdays on slicks with no warmers, now I have a generator and warmers. Its possible but if you want to go hard right out of the gate, it can be sketchy. And like mentioned you will destroy tires if you are a fairly fast/aggressive rider without warmers. My friend who was with me at these track days, also raced a round of SOAR with no warmers, he came in 5th out of 30+ riders so it can be done...I bought warmers for that race but I didnt have a gen, so I used to give people cash or gas money to let me plug into their genny. Now I do the same and let people plug into mine if they need power as mine can do 2 sets. Sometimes it ends up being someone that cant get their $500 Princess auto gen started lol

I bought the Yamaha EF2000 last season it was on sale and a little cheaper then the Honda at the time because of the sale, Im happy with it so far.

Last edited:

This is simply wrong.

You will never get a set of slicks anywhere near their ideal operating temperature without warmers. You will get some surface temp but it will never be warm through the carcass of the tire.

The carcass will never get near ideal op temp so the tire will never work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is simply wrong.

You will never get a set of slicks anywhere near their ideal operating temperature without warmers. You will get some surface temp but it will never be warm through the carcass of the tire.

The carcass will never get near ideal op temp so the tire will never work properly.

Depends on the track too, I've heard people say tracks like TMP you can not hold the proper temp in tires. They actually drop down in temp on track

Unless it's 30C in blazing sunshine and you burn an entire tank of fuel in one go... No they will ever be at proper operating temperature.

Orion Flack Jackets

Can`t find wattage anyone know the requirements?
I can run 2 sets of flack jacket dig warmers set at 80C with my yamaha inverter 2300 no problem and we bring the toaster oven to warm lunch., no offence to anyone on a budget here but when i pull into the pits i avoid the little yellow ones, i know it's a race track but they are very annoying. Also if you are camping like u stated the honda/yamaha are VERY quiet and fuel efficient. I purposely bought one of a larger capacity than needed just in case if we had power failure at home..... used it 2 times so far LOL, great genny.....and i can sell it for what i paid for it any time .....
just my 2c

I can run 2 sets of flack jacket dig warmers set at 80C with my yamaha inverter 2300 no problem and we bring the toaster oven to warm lunch., no offence to anyone on a budget here but when i pull into the pits i avoid the little yellow ones, i know it's a race track but they are very annoying. Also if you are camping like u stated the honda/yamaha are VERY quiet and fuel efficient. I purposely bought one of a larger capacity than needed just in case if we had power failure at home..... used it 2 times so far LOL, great genny.....and i can sell it for what i paid for it any time .....
just my 2c

If I put a blindfold on you and had a Honda, Yamaha, and the champion running you wouldn't be able to tell me which one was which. This is the champion were talking about.

I did about 4-5 trakdays on slicks with no warmers, now I have a generator and warmers. Its possible but if you want to go hard right out of the gate, it can be sketchy. And like mentioned you will destroy tires if you are a fairly fast/aggressive rider without warmers. My friend who was with me at these track days, also raced a round of SOAR with no warmers, he came in 5th out of 30+ riders so it can be done...I bought warmers for that race but I didnt have a gen, so I used to give people cash or gas money to let me plug into their genny. Now I do the same and let people plug into mine if they need power as mine can do 2 sets. Sometimes it ends up being someone that cant get their $500 Princess auto gen started lol

I bought the Yamaha EF2000 last season it was on sale and a little cheaper then the Honda at the time because of the sale, Im happy with it so far.

That will be ideal for me: some pocket money in exchange to let me plug my warmers in. Someone should start a generator coop program :p

the Champion even looks dorkish, the Generac is as close as you will get to the Yamaha/Honda's for a lower price..... (it vibrates more, a little heavier, uses bit more gas, and is slightly louder than the premium brands, but you get what you pay for.... )

this puppy puts out 2000W continuous, and 2200W surge. The others put out 2000w max, and 1600-1700w continuous. it also comes with a neat plug in adapter and alligator clips to charge your 12V batteries....

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/ix-series/ix2000

S0SK1Gu.png

Last edited:
Slicks and no warmers is just a disaster waiting to happen - Body and bike parts are a lot more expensive and difficult to replace and fix than a few extra hundred.

Had a crash 2 years ago from running a set of warmers that didn't work properly, ended on my ***.

Last edited:
Hmm,
1- if you are using slicks and do not use or think you need warmers you are not getting any value from the slicks.
2- it takes 45 minutes at 20 Celcius to get a tire up to temperature with a "good" warmer so how can 4-5 laps of a 2 minute lap do it?
3- if you do not use warmers and are doing some decent lap times you may be leaving $20 worth or rubber on the track.With warmers you may leave $5
4- Do not assume because you set the display on your warmers to 80 C that the temperature is 80C
5- Some generators will appear to run warmers but actually do not have the power capabilities ,so they just run it the best they can and your warmer does not heat fully.
6- You spend a lot of time and money to have a small window of fun,,don't cheap out on the things that can make or break your day/weekend
7- if you get warmers with a bike test them first, you may need to buy both.
8- and 80 C is not optimum it's the beginning

Last edited:
Oh yea I was trying to save some money by buying a 'cheap" set of warmers, well that cost me a lot more, then end up getting a set of bickle warmers and no issues ever again (free advertisement)
Slicks and no warmers is just a disaster waiting to happen - Body and bike parts are a lot more expensive and difficult to replace and fix than a few extra hundred.

Had a crash 2 years ago from running a set of warmers that didn't work properly, ended on my ***.

I own both a Champion and Honda both 2000W . Have many hours on both of them sometimes at the same time. They both start one or two pulls. Both power about the same before tripping. Champion slightly louder (very slight). Honda is a little harder on fuel under load. What everyone said regarding resale and prices are pretty much true so I guess it depends on budget and needs. Also have a 6750 Hyundai that will power a small city 20L/8hrs and extremely loud.

If I put a blindfold on you and had a Honda, Yamaha, and the champion running you wouldn't be able to tell me which one was which. This is the champion were talking about.

only ones I c are the cheap loud annoying ones....

Back
Top Bottom