Fleeing the scene - When to report it? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fleeing the scene - When to report it?

OP, depending your insurer, you may not have insurance hikes after reporting / having it reported, as long as you are not making a claim in the end.

Glad you're okay!

In the Future:

If anyone has a situation like the one described above, AND ESPECIALLY IF SOMEONE FLED THE SCENE:

#1: Call the police. "Pickup caused an accident and fled the scene."
#2: Gather ALL of the witness information. Ask them for their full name and phone number.
#3: If you can, immediately take photos of anything and everything related to the crash, note the time, note the speed you were going, and most importantly, don't make any rash decisions because you will be 'stunned' for a bit.
#4: Call your insurance company.
#5: Go to the reporting center.
#6. Go home, have a beer and relax!

Now you are the good guy with witnesses, a police report, etc. Your insurance company will not increase your rates if you're 100% not at fault, but you also don't know how badly your motorcycle was damaged until you get it fully assessed. That stuff can add up to be a lot of money!

Glad you're okay!

In the Future:

If anyone has a situation like the one described above, AND ESPECIALLY IF SOMEONE FLED THE SCENE:

#2: Gather ALL of the witness information. Ask them for their full name and phone number.
#3: If you can, immediately take photos of anything and everything related to the crash, note the time, note the speed you were going, and most importantly, don't make any rash decisions because you will be 'stunned' for a bit.

Now you are the good guy with witnesses, a police report, etc. Your insurance company will not increase your rates if you're 100% not at fault, but you also don't know how badly your motorcycle was damaged until you get it fully assessed. That stuff can add up to be a lot of money!

I agree 100%. last year when i was rear ended on the bike I thought "wow did I dodge a bullet almost no damage", (that was on highway at accident scene). a coupe of hours later I went out to get something out of the saddlebag, then I started to notice other things. In the end the repairs were just over $8,000!!! exhaust alone was $3200.

The more i read. The more i want a dashcam.

Wow insane. I hope you get to the bottom of this, and I hope that "police officer" gave you something in writing so he can't deny it.

Glad you're okay!

In the Future:

One thing: If you've just been in a collision it's unlikely that you'll be able to remember all of that. Write down a similar checklist on a card and keep it in the same place as your ownership, and insurance.

One thing: If you've just been in a collision it's unlikely that you'll be able to remember all of that. Write down a similar checklist on a card and keep it in the same place as your ownership, and insurance.

You're absolutely right. I think that's great advice.

My advice directly comes from an experience I had in October, which resulted in my motorcycle being written off, and the other driver was deemed 100% at fault. In fact, I was going to respond to bike cop regarding the comment of "no direct impact", as I had a driver cause me to go down prior to actual impact.

--
I had a van blindly make a 3 point turn from an opposing lane of traffic (so she just popped out behind another truck), and I was forced to make an emergency stop. I was going maybe 35-40km/h (in a 50!), my reaction was instantaneous, and I still didn't have enough braking distance. My front wheel eventually gave way and I low sided and I hit the ground. The driver proceeded to complete her 3 point turn with my bike lodged in her side, with plastic flying everywhere. She pulled over afterwards.

I had 3 witnesses, including an off duty police officer that made sure all witness information was exchanged. This was initially a blessing but then afterwards I realized that it was a curse because the other driver wasn't charged. This ended up dragging out the process for 2.5 months but in the end the other driver was deemed 100% at fault and my insurance company covered everything.
--

The lesson I learned was: Get the police involved so fault can be assigned immediately, get ALL witness information, take lots of pictures, and call your insurance company - that's what you're paying them for!

...Anyway, everyone please stay safe out there! Cheers.

Lots of good tips here! Last time I was involved in a 100% Their fault accident (U-Turner from my shoulder, I drilled his driver side door) the first thing I did was pull out my phone and start walking around taking pictures from every angle. I didn't even talk to the other driver. Straight to the reporting centre, where I heard the guy crucify himself in his own statement. Thanks again.
when you give a statement, always use terms like "riding in the correct blocking position", "scanning" as well as driving a mere 4-6 kph above or even below the speed limit.

Good luck op!

One point of clarity:

Fault is NOT deemed by the police it is determined by your insurer. Even if the other driver is charged with an offence, doesn't mean the insurer considers them 100% at fault. The insurers have the Fault Determination Rules, (FDR), which sets the level of fault assigned these do not take into accout the officers actions, (charging a driver or not). Therefroe, simply having the police involved doesn't mean "fault can be assigned immediately"

Not to mention in your case it was a two vehicle collision as your bike made contact with the van. In the OP's case it was a single vehicle collision as there was no contact between him and the other vehicle. Completely different scenarios.

Other than that your advice is 100% spot on.

You're absolutely right. I think that's great advice.

My advice directly comes from an experience I had in October, which resulted in my motorcycle being written off, and the other driver was deemed 100% at fault. In fact, I was going to respond to bike cop regarding the comment of "no direct impact", as I had a driver cause me to go down prior to actual impact.

--
I had a van blindly make a 3 point turn from an opposing lane of traffic (so she just popped out behind another truck), and I was forced to make an emergency stop. I was going maybe 35-40km/h (in a 50!), my reaction was instantaneous, and I still didn't have enough braking distance. My front wheel eventually gave way and I low sided and I hit the ground. The driver proceeded to complete her 3 point turn with my bike lodged in her side, with plastic flying everywhere. She pulled over afterwards.

I had 3 witnesses, including an off duty police officer that made sure all witness information was exchanged. This was initially a blessing but then afterwards I realized that it was a curse because the other driver wasn't charged. This ended up dragging out the process for 2.5 months but in the end the other driver was deemed 100% at fault and my insurance company covered everything.
--

The lesson I learned was: Get the police involved so fault can be assigned immediately, get ALL witness information, take lots of pictures, and call your insurance company - that's what you're paying them for!

...Anyway, everyone please stay safe out there! Cheers.

Last edited:
Always make a report immediately. If you're not at fault there's no way this should affect your premium

Also , it would only affect insurance if you made a claim against it.

OP, you should have figured if the guy did a runner, then do you think he would take nicely to your note? You have too much good faith in people. Hopefully Karma will catch up with that guy.

One point of clarity:

Fault is NOT deemed by the police it is determined by your insurer. Even if the other driver is charged with an offence, doesn't mean the insurer considers them 100% at fault. The insurers have the Fault Determination Rules, (FDR), which sets the level of fault assigned these do not take into accout the officers actions, (charging a driver or not). Therefroe, simply having the police involved doesn't mean "fault can be assigned immediately"

Not to mention in your case it was a two vehicle collision as your bike made contact with the van. In the OP's case it was a single vehicle collision as there was no contact between him and the other vehicle. Completely different scenarios.

Slight semantic correction: Fault is determined separately for legal reasons and insurance purposes. The Rules of Fault Determination are a direct result of the switch to a "no fault" system, but they are not inviolate. Charges can alter fault, for insurance purposes. That speeding more than 15 Kmh over the limit may alter the determination of fault is directly stated in the rules.

If you find yourself dealing with a police officer that knows anything about the fault determination rules, consider yourself lucky. The police are there to gather particulars of those involved, collect statements and view damage. The report will be fairly limited in its description of what happened, and even more limited in how it happened. If it becomes evident that an offence was committed during the collision, charges should be laid by the police. Whether or not a conviction results is another story.

You can be indicated indirectly at fault on the accident report . The checkbox is under the involved parties in the vehicle portion of the srld-401

200. every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

Making reference to 200(1)(a) ... Not going to reference 199(1) but there's a requirement to report a collision if it is a reportable collision ie over 1000 dollar damage or injuries involved.

Last edited:
True, although they weren't charged with this offence, but much more serious charges resulted were the young fellows in their cages that were racing on the 400, a couple of yearsback they caused the driver of a big rig to take evasive action which culminated in his death. There was no contact but it was determined that their actions resulted in his death.

As Bike Cop eluded to most officers ren't even aware of the FDR's and how they are used.

Heck wayyyyy back when I was on patrol, as officers we were taught, unless the vehicle is hit from behind, then they are assigned some level of "fault" by the insurance company. We basically wrote up the report and identified who was involved and rarely issued tickets. "investigation" was at best minimal, unless there were serious injuries or a fatal then it was a different game altogether.

You can be indicated indirectly at fault on the accident report . The checkbox is under the involved parties in the vehicle portion of the srld-401

200. every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

Making reference to 200(1)(a) ... Not going to reference 199(1) but there's a requirement to report a collision if it is a reportable collision ie over 1000 dollar damage or injuries involved.

One point of clarity:

The only difference it made for me was that I couldn't get a tow sorted out by my insurance company because I had the basic 'one way" policy. So the lady on the other end of the phone asked me if anyone was charged and I said no, and then she said I would have to pay for it and after fault was determined then maybe I could get that covered.

Eff that. So I called a buddy and we put it into a van! He drove me to the collision center and then back home later that evening. Several days later I bought a 28oz 4 week dry aged rib eye steak from st lawrence market and BBQ'd it for him as a thank you!

Several days later I bought a 28oz 4 week dry aged rib eye steak from st lawrence market and BBQ'd it for him as a thank you!

Lots of applause here.
I borrowed, and ended up damaging a buddy's trailer - minor bit, but I offered repayment of all damages - he refused, so I ended up delivering a bottle of Glenfiddich. Do right with your friends, and they'll do right by you.

Back
Top Bottom