Honda Nighthawk CB450SC for a new rider? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda Nighthawk CB450SC for a new rider?

Also picked up a 1983 Nighthawk today and stuffed it in the back of my Odyssey. . Sounds like we have similar carb issues which will hopefully get sorted out soon. image.jpg

Had the same issues with my CB750 when I brought it home last fall.The acceleration hiccups and backfire was cured by having the carbs cleaned,tuned and synced. The speedo jumped around like crazy then finally quit. When I pulled it off the bike to replace, I noticed the ends of the cable where rounded like a screwdriver bit that has been spun in the screws too many times, the new on had ends that where nice and square. Installed it and have had steady speedometer since.

Don't know if this holds true for the Honda twins, but the 4's steady power band is in the higher revs, like 5k+rpm. Good steady strong pull up there, just breaking too many laws unless on the highway:banghead:

That is the case with my CB 750. Below 5000 rpm it is a pussycat. Get it up to 7000 rpm or so and it is a completely different bike.

I replaced all of the instrument bulbs early last season and my tach stopped working when I reinstalled it. I ended up getting a whack of parts from someone doing a cafe conversion and a different tach worked with no issues. So... now I have all new bulbs in my speedo, tach, and indicator lights but now the needles in my speedo and tach look different (one is more weathered than the other).

Also picked up a 1983 Nighthawk today and stuffed it in the back of my Odyssey. . Sounds like we have similar carb issues which will hopefully get sorted out soon. View attachment 36825

Wow I didn't know you could fit that bike in a van! Congrats! I haven't cleaned my carbs yet, but as Zoodles said, at low RPM's it's still hesitating, but at medium to high, it's fine.

The carb issue sounds like a dirty carb internal. Its best to clean that up and bench sync it and then followed by a 3k tune up with a vacuum sync.

Back
Top Bottom