Help me plan for NFLD | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help me plan for NFLD

deejizzle

Hey guys, I've done the research I can on the forum. Me and 2 other guys (all 500s, gs and ninja) are planning for an nfld trip in the middle of june. I need help planning as this is probably my biggest adventure on 2 yet. Previously, I've done pancake bay 2-up. My next adventure needs to be bigger and better. What I do know about how i want my trip to be:

Newfoundland is the destination
USA on the way there or back (boston, and whatever other city we feel)
camping or motel is fine

My questions are is there any fun ways into nfld that ISNT the translate highway? I really want to do it, eventually, but I do not think our 500s can handle the gravel sections?
Also, is there a way to the US from nfld? or do we have to take the ferry back to NS?
What are the must ride places in the US on the north eastern section between Toronto and NFLD?

Any other input or opinions would really help. I'm hoping to have many details of this trip hashed out before the end of April.

Thanks

How long is your trip? I think time will be of essence

I've driven to Newfoundland by car. My suggestion is to take a fairly direct route to Sydney, NS, spend as much time as you want/can on Newfoundland, then meander back home. (Don't bother with the Viking settlement reconstruction.) the northeast and eastern part is the best with lots of little bays and inlets with tiny fishing villages. Bed and breakfast/home stays are the best as the locals are generally very hospitable based on my experience.

If you wait too long there won't be any gravel sections on the translab. I hear their paving it fast.

You've got two choices to ferry to NL. The short ride (6 hrs. approx) gets to to Port Aux Basques and then approx 10 hours, 900 kms on the road to St John's.

Or 18 hour ferry ride to Argentia which leaves you a 90 min ride to St John's.

The roads along the coast up to Gander can be breath taking. Bay Roberts and other communities along the coast are just amazing.

I'd do it in July or August.

I'd time the ride to end in St John's and spend a day or two if they are having a street festival along George St. Even if they don't, there will be plenty of places to kiss a cod, live music, great seafood, and plenty to drink.

Avoid night driving as there are plenty of stories of collisions with moose.

I'd look to charter a boat to whale watch or do some fishing along the gander river. Very nice fly fishing for salmon. The guides will prepare and cook your catches for nice meal and sip of rum to help it along.

267600_10150308038671346_1843939_n.jpg

264635_10150308036571346_120342_n.jpg

Don't know your budget but flying you and your bike to St. Johns then riding home might be an option.

That Air Canada Cargo deal is pretty sweet to get to either coast like the same day with your bike ...then meander home

Is 10 days to and from nfld realistic? Im starting to hear its not.

Btw solely because of the translab i thi k my next bike will be a strom or 650adv of some sorts (should the translab not be fully paved yet)

Is 10 days to and from nfld realistic? Im starting to hear its not.

Btw solely because of the translab i thi k my next bike will be a strom or 650adv of some sorts (should the translab not be fully paved yet)
Considering that the ride is about 30+ hours even if you do 10h/day of riding that 3 days of riding approx + ferry. That leaves you 4 days to explore

I did the trans-lab, crossed to St. Johns, killed a couple days getting screeched in, rode across the rock and took the the short ferry, did the cabot trail and home all in 11 days. I think I have a ride report in here somewhere... sometime around late August or Sept of last year.

Edit... here is the link: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?185010-Labrador-highway

No advice on the route there or back (but will follow this thread as it's something I've been thinking about the past couple years.... maybe I'll stalk you out there :p) but once there, a night or several in Gros Morne National park should be on your list. Absolutely gorgeous. One of the few places in NA where you can see really deep fjords.

Also, +1 on the moose. Once you're there, do NOT expect to be driving, or at least driving more than 50kph, once dusk starts to fall and into the night. It is way worse than deer here in Ontario. Our first night driving we decided to stop and grab a motel because we almost hit 2 different moose and saw 5 others in less than 2 hours. Especially that time of year, later in the season like August (when I was there last) the blackflies drive them crazy and they come out to the roads to try to get away from them... and they are grumpy as hell. I was shocked how so many moose were around in the evenings, because during the day a lot of where we were driving was very flat and scraggly... no idea where the monsters came from, lol.

Oh, also +1 on the George St festival... and if you like drinking/partying, don't expect to be riding early the next morning. Amazing atmosphere and a great party that does not end early.

I'd also wind your way up signal hill and see deadman's pool, which is in St John's, and there's a cool bunker on the opposite cliff you can see and go down and explore that was operational in WWII.

Also while in St John's, you can kill 3 cod with one worm... we jumped on a whale watching/tourist boat where we got to see whales, we sailed past the most easterly point of NA, and we got screeched in on the boat (which also had a massive newfie dog as first mate who was a ton of fun).

I think that 10 days might be enough to GET to NFLD, but doesn't leave you much time on the island itself. Doesn't mean it's not possible.

Listen, carefully, to the advice on moose. (meese?)

I've heard the scenery is amazing, the people are incredible but the quality of riding and the weather can be less than stellar. It's the only province in Canada I haven't ridden to yet, and still very much on my list.

Have fun with the planning!

I have done the ride with my dad and friends several times. It's 3 days down and 3 back. I usually go through the usa. Take the 401 to Prescott (just past Kingston) then cross into the USA. Follow what they call the old bicycle route (Once you cross, take route 37 to route 11 to hwy 89 to Montpelier to route 2 then follow all the way to Hwy 95 on the map). That will take you through upper New York into Vermont, New Hampshire and then through Maine. The scenery is incredible on this route. Lots of small towns and amazing twisty roads. It beats mostly the hwy any time. I always stop for the night in Bangor Maine just off hwy 95 (about 14 - 15 hours ride time from Toronto including stops for fuel and food). The next day follow I95 to Canada in Woodstock and then on to North Sydney. Day 2 is approx 10 hours. Sleep on the boat (approx 6 hours) then ride in NFLD. Everywhere is georgeous in NFLD. Don't ride at night way too many moose and they hang out just off the road. You will always loose if you hit one. From the boat to St. John's is approx 12 hours. The best time of the year weather wise for NFLD is July or August if at all possible but mid to late June is do able just a little cooler and more chance of rain. Everyone is incredibly friendly there. My folks and my wife's family are from there so I spent lots of time there growing up. Lots of spots to stop and see stuff.

You will have an awesome trip with amazing scenery.

PM me and I can give you a little more detail if you want.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Im just going to use this thread for my personal notes as well as to gain any input from you wonderful people. We have our destinations outlined already. We know where to go, just not how to get there.

06/14/15-06/20/15

1 - Driftwood Provincial Park
2 - Mauricie National Park
3 - Kouchibouguac National Park
4 - Maine (if anyone has an excellent tip for a camping/cheap cabin rental please let me know)
5 - Boston, MA
6 - Adirondack Mountains (if anyone has an excellent tip for a camping/cheap cabin rental please let me know)

Straightline Google maping is about 4100km, works out to be short of 600km a day. We are pushing for 700-800km a day, with a short day ride to boston to stay at a nicer hotel and clean up.

We will go as the wind flows. Normally i would have gpx routing but I will stick to good old paper. It will make the trip more spontenous and bring us to places that may be cool. Right off the bat I am looking at 63/101 from north bay to get to Driftwood, if someone can give me an update on that road and whether 3 dinky 500s can make it through.

Looking for advice on the US leg. As you can tell camping seems to be our main accommodation which is cool, but if you know of cheap camping/cabin rentals in the US please let me know. Also looking for a motorcycle friendly (read secure) hotel in Boston.

Lastly for myself, looking for a GP bikes/Royal Distributing type motorcycle store anywhere along the way.

Last edited:
In Maine: Acadia National Park, near Bar Harbor, seaside, gorgeous.

In the Adirondacks: Camp near Indian Lake. Or better, stay at the Lone Birch Motel in Indian Lake, $69 a night. I also recommend the Mexican restaurant in Indian Lake (yes, of all places!). Bonus: the roads to get there are sick, hwys 28 or 30...

The Cancamagus Highway (Hwy 112) going through the White Mountain National Forest is a nice ride.

+1 on this. The eastern end of this road is in Conway, NH. Up and down the mountain range, with mostly high speed sweepers. Gorgeous piece of asphalt!

And just west of I-93, be sure to connect Kancamagus Hwy (112) with Sawyer Hwy (118 ) , another prime piece of twisties.

Last edited:
recommendations for travellers insurance who are ok with travelling by motorcycle? also whats the average cost for a short week trip?

Back
Top Bottom