Wheel bearing question (trailer) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wheel bearing question (trailer)

Motorcycle Mike

So I was given 4 tapered bearings that I am wondering if they will work on my harbor freight trailer.

The bearings I was given are NSK HR30205J 14-09.

The bearings that came with my trailer are 30205/P6

Are these bearings compatible?

short answer - if they are the same size as the ones you are replacing, then yes.

Long answer - you have to remover your old bearings AND bearing races (races can be grooved or pitted causing your new bearings to fail prematurely) , then measure the INSIDE diameter of the bearing and the OUTSIDE diameter of the race. If they match up, your good! usually trailer wheel bearings come in standard sizes, the only tricky part is finding a seal that works (seems like every trailer company has a different one). Also, check your axle shaft for grooves and sharp edges that can compromise the seal (just sand them down smooth). Don't forget to pack the new bearing with fresh grease and don't over tighten that castle nut.

Last edited:
I tried looking up the specs for each bearing online, and that only made me more confused.
The 30205/P6, for example, is supposed to have a 52mm outer diameter.
The 30205J, according to sellers on Amazon, Ebay, and a few other bearing places also has an OD of 52mm.
The 30205J according to NSK, however, lists 49 and a hair mm outer diameter.

I'll take the old bearings off the axle today and see if they even look similar.

What kind of trailer? check parts source, crappy tire, local marina(boat shops usually carry trailer bearings)... is it a straight axle or tapered?(inner and outer bearings are different sizes)

It is a harbor freight trailer... and I have the outer bearings out, they look very different than the 30205Js. Going back to the garage to attempt to take the inner bearings out and hopefully not damage the seals in the process.

Note -- the trailer is brand new, and so are the bearings... I basically got this other set as a spare set. I need to take the original bearings out anyway as I need to clean their packing gunk off and repack them with proper grease.

For you guys that have the harbor freight trailer, how did you get the inner bearings out to repack them?

Did you end up destroying the seal? And if so, where did you buy a replacement seal?

I tried a few of the methods found online, like trying to tap the outer race of the bearing to push the seal out, but it didn't budge and I am reluctant to strike it much harder.

I've also watched videos of removing the seal with a punch and screwdriver, but that destroys the seal.

I've read about using a socket and bashing it through, but even my largest socket on hand (22mm) doesn't meet the outer race. It meets up with either the inner race or inbetween on the tapered rollers, and I am reluctant to try this method lest I destroy the bearing (I am just trying to repack it, not replace it!).

Any tips?

Avoid this whole situation and buy some "bearing buddies", sold at marinas... replaces your dust cap with one that has a grease nipple on it, problem solved!

How I do remove the seal? seal remover tool of the prying style (destroys it), a screw and some side cuts (destroys it), 3 jaw puller and a slide hammer (50/50) or a big *** flat head screw driver (50/50)

How do I remove the race? Big *** punch and a big *** hammer (take my time if i need to reuse it)or my custom race remover and a big *** hammer and just smash that ***** out in seconds.

When removing a race you first need to get your balls out of your wifes purse so you can swing that hammer like a man!

Okay, I have answered all my questions.

First, the 30205J is not a replacement for the 30205/P6 -- the J is larger. If any one needs the 30205J, let me know I have four of them.

Secondly, I found a 27mm socket in my toolbox that I have for an axle nut or something, and it lines up almost perfectly with the outer ring of the bearing -- I wanted to avoid putting any force on the inner ring of the bearing to avoid damaging it. So I wrapped a shop cloth over the socket, lined it up on the bearing outer ring and a couple good hits from a mallet popped the bearing and seal right out with no apparent damage to either of them.

I don't think I have any need to take the race out... so I will leave that for another day.

Tomorrow I have to pick up cleaner to remove the old crap, repack, and reinstall.

As for bearing buddies... I could not find a set that fit right. The size that should have fit are the 1.98" ones, but the set I had from Princess Auto were loose... so loose I could pull them off the hub with my hand -- easily -- so they would have disappeared on my somewhere down the road. I guess Harbor Freight uses an odd hub on their trailers. Oh... and both inner and outer bearings on this trailer are identical. 30205/P6

It is a harbor freight trailer... and I have the outer bearings out, they look very different than the 30205Js. Going back to the garage to attempt to take the inner bearings out and hopefully not damage the seals in the process.

Note -- the trailer is brand new, and so are the bearings... I basically got this other set as a spare set. I need to take the original bearings out anyway as I need to clean their packing gunk off and repack them with proper grease.

did the bearing not come packed and the trailer ready to run? im not understanding why your taking the bearings out of the hubs? measure the spindle journals or the i.d of the cones(inner/outer). chinese bearing numbers maybe proprietary to who ever made the hub. you may have opened up a can of worms by disassembling this for no reason. i may have not understood what your attempting to do but my answer is the way i comprehended it.

did the bearing not come packed and the trailer ready to run? im not understanding why your taking the bearings out of the hubs? measure the spindle journals or the i.d of the cones(inner/outer). chinese bearing numbers maybe proprietary to who ever made the hub. you may have opened up a can of worms by disassembling this for no reason. i may have not understood what your attempting to do but my answer is the way i comprehended it.

Harbor freight trailers come with bearings packed with a rust inhibitor but not a real wheel bearing grease. I suppose it has something to do with the cheap price, and yes, it is a bit ridiculous that the first thing you have to do to a new trailer kit is repack the bearings... but that is how it is.

I had a harbor freight trailer with original bearings. Used to clean and repackage bearings every summer. After 4 yrs, 20k+ they were still mint. Sold trailer after that.

Harbor freight trailers come with bearings packed with a rust inhibitor but not a real wheel bearing grease. I suppose it has something to do with the cheap price, and yes, it is a bit ridiculous that the first thing you have to do to a new trailer kit is repack the bearings... but that is how it is.

I recall hearing that the grease they come with is the next best thing to petroleum jelly. I would think that you could get half decent replacement bearings from Princess Auto.

hilarious, how'd you get the trailer home? why then the assembled hubs, if they have to be taken apart by the buyer, so any warranty is gonzo

hilarious, how'd you get the trailer home? why then the assembled hubs, if they have to be taken apart by the buyer, so any warranty is gonzo

It is a trailer kit so I brought it home in the back of my car... for something like $230 for a 4x8 trailer. I don't know why they bother to assemble the hubs since in the manual it says to repack the bearings. I definitely would have preferred if everything was separate in the box. Warranty is not an issue... there is no warranty.

Anyway, it is all back together now. Bearings packed with good grease, seals in and seal well.

It is a trailer kit so I brought it home in the back of my car... for something like $230 for a 4x8 trailer. I don't know why they bother to assemble the hubs since in the manual it says to repack the bearings. I definitely would have preferred if everything was separate in the box. Warranty is not an issue... there is no warranty.

Anyway, it is all back together now. Bearings packed with good grease, seals in and seal well.

now i understand. :hello2:

Back
Top Bottom