The ministry of transportation is asking for your input | GTAMotorcycle.com

The ministry of transportation is asking for your input

corpse

Site Supporter
Came across this on another site, follow the link

http://www.quadexpert.com/ministry-transportation-asking-input/

"OFTR: The Ontario Federation of Trail Riders has been working with the MTO and many other provincial ministries and agencies to get Bill 58 to acknowledge Off Road Motorcycles in the legislation and grant restricted road access to green plated motorcycles. By taking the time to submit an answer to the MTO we can show the number of riders in Ontario that this will affect and how it can make riding safer."

"The Ontario Federation of All Terrain Vehicle as been working hard with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario in regards to getting Regulation 316/03 updated to include side-by-sides and 2-up ATV’s, please take this opportunity to read this information and voice your opinions from this website."

8c1c5a0b-0161-4d69-b0e1-bb010af250ba.jpg

Your letters to our MPP's about road access for offroad motorcycles have been heard!!
On Feb 26, Bill 58, which is intended to change current legislation regarding road access for off-road vehicles was brought before the Ontario Legislature for 2nd reading, debated and voted on. Here are some excerpts from the transcript of the debate for the 2nd reading of Bill 58 on Feb 26th. The bill passed 2nd reading with unanimous support. Although the bill primarily refer to ATV's we are asking that off-road motorcycles will be added as well.

Norm Miller MPP Parry Sound/Muskoka;
I've had a lot of letters from the Ontario Federation of Trail Riders, quite a few letters. I'll just summarize a few of them. They want to be included in this legislation. If this bill passes, I would recommend that they come before committee, if it gets before a committee, and/or participate in the review of off-road vehicle safety in Ontario, which was just announced yesterday by MTO, the Ministry of Transportation. They write, "We are happy to support Bill 58 both in its non-partisan spirit and the sound reasoning behind it.
"Additionally, the Ontario Federation of Trail Riders encourages further enhancements to this bill that would include licensed and insured off-road motorcycles and other recreational vehicles. Our experience has shown that there is a real need to develop improved highway access legislation that serves all types of off-road recreational vehicles, for practical, economic and safety reasons, as well as much-simplified administration and enforcement."
They go on; I don't have time to read it. That was from Brian Knechtel, president of the Ontario Federation of Trail Riders".
Steve Clark MPP Leeds-Grenville:

"The second thing I've heard-and the member for Parry Sound-Muskoka mentioned it, and it was mentioned by a number of off-road motorcycle enthusiasts in my riding, like Dave Chartrand of North Augusta, Trevor and Stan Strickland, and Judy Kingston, who are all from Lombardy. It's the same thing. I know that the member behind me, Mr. Miller, mentioned this issue. The Ontario Federation of Trail Riders had mentioned this, and he mentioned them in his remarks. I agree that we need to get this and the other concerns of the off-road vehicle owners in front of committee."
For all those who helped and participated, many thanks for all your efforts to raise this important issue with our legislature. We'll keep you updated on any new developments.

Thanks,
Brian Knechtel
Special Projects Consultant
Ontario Federation of Trail Riders.

As Rob rightfully pointed out, it would be a positive move in the right direction if we focus more on aggressive driving rather than speed

As Rob rightfully pointed out, it would be a positive move in the right direction if we focus more on aggressive driving rather than speed

Are you in the right thread?

This is about allowing dirt bikes the same rights as ATV's.

Are you in the right thread?

This is about allowing dirt bikes the same rights as ATV's.
My apologies. Mods please delete

Probably not a popular view, but I think the green plate bikes belong off road. You want to ride in the road, buy a street legal bike. What's going to happen is all sorts of people are going to start using their MX and off road bikes as road bikes. I don't mean in the GTA, but up north. The idea is for trail linkage, but that will be abused.

Probably not a popular view, but I think the green plate bikes belong off road. You want to ride in the road, buy a street legal bike. What's going to happen is all sorts of people are going to start using their MX and off road bikes as road bikes. I don't mean in the GTA, but up north. The idea is for trail linkage, but that will be abused.

Defiantly not a popular view in here. The main issue I see is that they treat atv's and sleds differently than bikes. That's ******** as far as I'm concerned. Why should an Atv be allowed to use the road, but a bike can't? Why should a sled be allowed to use some county forests, but a bike can't?

Defiantly not a popular view in here. The main issue I see is that they treat atv's and sleds differently than bikes. That's ******** as far as I'm concerned. Why should an Atv be allowed to use the road, but a bike can't? Why should a sled be allowed to use some county forests, but a bike can't?
Bikes on same roads as atv's etc cool. Bikes on sled trails dosn't work. Sleds are in when the ground is frozen and covered in snow. Bikes go in when its soft and wet and the damage caused is enormous. Before you start on mountain bikes, we are taught early that riding when it's wet is a no go and most of us abide by that

Bikes on same roads as atv's etc cool. Bikes on sled trails dosn't work. Sleds are in when the ground is frozen and covered in snow. Bikes go in when its soft and wet and the damage caused is enormous. Before you start on mountain bikes, we are taught early that riding when it's wet is a no go and most of us abide by that

I'm not saying bikes on sled trails, I'm saying bikes during the warmer months in the same county forests. Have you ever ridden or seen single track? The damage cause is not enormous at all! The damage is as wide as a front wheel. The trails don't open until they're deemed it's dry enough. For example, the Simcoe Country trails opened later last year because the snow stayed so long and they were too wet.

But +1 for your first sentence! :)

You are absolutely correct that green plated bikes belong offroad and no offroad enthusiast would argue that point.

I'm just going to take a wild guess that you don't ride off road and aren't familiar with the trails outside the gta and try to help you to understand. When riding up North those of us that do ride off road want to spend no time on pavement at all unfortunately its necessary to connect trails. The knobbies used for off road aren't really happy on the pavement not to mention very few knobbies are rated for road use. There will always be those that abuse but to say off road and mx enthusiasts will begin using their machines as road bikes is pure fantasy. If all trails connected you would never hear an off road enthusiast say I wish I could ride on the road. Given the opportunity to ride on the road Most would likely stick to the shoulder anyhow.

Before you start on mountain bikes, we are taught early that riding when it's wet is a no go and most of us abide by that

in my years of mtbiking, bicyclists are much more disrespectful towards riding in wet than dirtbikers, but still are not as bad a quadders

the attitude is usually "its just a narrow little wheel, whats the harm."

im

You are absolutely correct that green plated bikes belong offroad and no offroad enthusiast would argue that point.

I'm just going to take a wild guess that you don't ride off road and aren't familiar with the trails outside the gta and try to help you to understand. When riding up North those of us that do ride off road want to spend no time on pavement at all unfortunately its necessary to connect trails. The knobbies used for off road aren't really happy on the pavement not to mention very few knobbies are rated for road use. There will always be those that abuse but to say off road and mx enthusiasts will begin using their machines as road bikes is pure fantasy. If all trails connected you would never hear an off road enthusiast say I wish I could ride on the road. Given the opportunity to ride on the road Most would likely stick to the shoulder anyhow.

wrong guess, I ride off road except my DR650 is fully street legal. Guys like you sound like you will respect the law and if granted will use the road sparingly as intended. But when yahoos on MX bikes start cruising on the roads up in Simcoe county or near Ganaraska, then you'll see the trails get closed. If I am riding a green plated MX bike down the road as I would a blue plated bike and I get stopped by cops, I can just say, this is legal, I am heading to the trail. It will be abused by the same idiots that abuse the rules in legal riding areas.

At my cottage up north, people are using their atv's like cars, riding into town, shopping, going to the liquor store and 2 up which is illegal. The law was meant for linkage, not cruising on the road. It's being abused.

The will idiots will ruin it, that's the point I am trying to make.

wrong guess, I ride off road except my DR650 is fully street legal. Guys like you sound like you will respect the law and if granted will use the road sparingly as intended. But when yahoos on MX bikes start cruising on the roads up in Simcoe county or near Ganaraska, then you'll see the trails get closed. If I am riding a green plated MX bike down the road as I would a blue plated bike and I get stopped by cops, I can just say, this is legal, I am heading to the trail. It will be abused by the same idiots that abuse the rules in legal riding areas.

At my cottage up north, people are using their atv's like cars, riding into town, shopping, going to the liquor store and 2 up which is illegal. The law was meant for linkage, not cruising on the road. It's being abused.

The will idiots will ruin it, that's the point I am trying to make.

People in my cottage town do the same and when I was younger I use to use my dirtbike like it was a streetbike. Nothing bad ever happened, so nobody up there cares, its just the norm ans should stay that way.

Now when it comes to highly populated areas, I can understand the issues. But in rural areas, they should be left alone.

People in my cottage town do the same and when I was younger I use to use my dirtbike like it was a streetbike. Nothing bad ever happened, so nobody up there cares, its just the norm ans should stay that way.

Now when it comes to highly populated areas, I can understand the issues. But in rural areas, they should be left alone.

Exactly. Innisfil allows atvs and sleds on the road, at 1/2 the posted speed limit. However the south simcoe police are always watching... Up north , not so much. I'm all for trail linkage, virtually every rider I know is an insured member of the Oftr. Many of them already have blue plated dirt bikes for linkage reasons, not one of them rips around town on their ktm 2t. They'd rather ride them on the trails than asphalt.
Edit: besides, it's like saying street bikes shouldn't be allowed on the road because some riders will abuse it, pull wheelies, race, stunt, and otherwise be a menace. You don't refuse the masses because you fear the actions of a few...

"You lost 15 friends on motorcycles? and you have only been riding since 2008? was this a group ride that fell off a cliff or are you being serious?"-ZX600

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom