Can we legalize lane filtering yet? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can we legalize lane filtering yet?

I find it absolutely messed up that in Ontario you actually have to worry about what a person in a car is "feeling". The terrible reaction from psychotic motorists is somehow given some weight in the decision making process. Its horrible. If it helps decongest our roads it should be implemented. The traffic here is TERRIBLE..

I find it absolutely messed up that in Ontario you actually have to worry about what a person in a car is "feeling". The terrible reaction from psychotic motorists is somehow given some weight in the decision making process. Its horrible. If it helps decongest our roads it should be implemented. The traffic here is TERRIBLE..

It's not just Ontario. It's everywhere and coming from all sides including psychotic riders.

[video=youtube;zyE3ODy-tsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyE3ODy-tsk[/video]

It's not just Ontario. It's everywhere and coming from all sides including psychotic riders.

[video=youtube;zyE3ODy-tsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyE3ODy-tsk[/video]

Yeah that rider was an idiot. That is no one else's fault. Brake checking a car on a bike.. lol

So, back on topic, how can we get this to go through? I'm all about signing petitions and harassing (I mean mailing) my stupid local MP!

And if were going through the trouble, we should also have HTA 172 revised for less retardedness + add us to the HOV lanes.

Oh! and about the "How would we have a better drivers?", here's my idea - G1 lasts for 2 years and G2 lasts for 3, If you get ANY tickets/crashes before you take your final test then you must start all over again (would drive the point home "driving is not a right, it's a privilege . Should weed out some idiots from our roads, resulting in less crashes and lower insurance premiums! Unless the gov's plan is to have more bad drivers so to feed the auto industry more customers, which I wouldnt be surprised about.

Last edited:
Not in the wrong, but I am assuming they have been doing allowing it for a very long time and is a part of normal driving in those places. Maybe I am wrong on this. We have never had lane filtering, people already miss us when we are where we are supposed to. What type of education do you think will allow drivers to see bikers when they are lane filtering?

I am all for more freedoms, but I think this would have a few facility headlines in local papers. Legal or not, I would not do it.

Sorry to answer your question with a question but please tell me, what extra danger does filtering introduce to the rider's safety that we don't already have today without filtering?

Sorry to answer your question with a question but please tell me, what extra danger does filtering introduce to the rider's safety that we don't already have today without filtering?

You might injure your knee. When some clown opens their car door, you could hurt your knee when you get off the hood of their car as you finish jumping up and down on it.

Sure. Post whatever you like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're too accommodating. :)
Of course Youtubing anything that ends in FAIL is always far too much fun. Quick question, your signature says ex/pro racer. Does that mean expert or retired? Just curious is all.

safe speeds its ok.. you do have time to react, but when your speeding in high traffic your just asking for it.. when I ride I don't trust anyone on road expect the unexpected, ride like everyone's out to get you

safe speeds its ok.. you do have time to react, but when your speeding in high traffic your just asking for it.. when I ride I don't trust anyone on road expect the unexpected, ride like everyone's out to get you

My rule was 5 kph faster than traffic up to a max of 35 kph. That gave a comfy margin of reaction time.

So stopped cars equalled 5 kph, 30 kph cars equalled 35 kph, and 35 kph cars or faster kept me in my lane.

You're too accommodating. :)
Of course Youtubing anything that ends in FAIL is always far too much fun. Quick question, your signature says ex/pro racer. Does that mean expert or retired? Just curious is all.

Expert/Pro. However SOAR no longer uses the Expert nomenclature so I should just change it to Pro.

I'd be okay for filtering at Automatic Signalized Intersections displaying a red light only. In this case traffic is completely stopped and if done safely the chance of getting into some collision with another motorist is quite low. Lane splitting pretty well only ever ends in disaster when your luck runs out. Both would require an investment in general motorist education ($$), but lane splitting would take a lot more.

Every single motorcycle crash compilation video I watch shows a majority of accidents stemming from lane splitting. Surely there are ways to do it safely and reduce chances, but splitting just exposes you to more risk. Both filtering and splitting laws would definitely lead to revised (increased) insurance rates.

Here's a question for on the highways though (in places where lane splitting is legal) - why do motorcyclists never use either shoulder of the highway to get through traffic jams and such? Aside from an obvious answer of debris (which is not always the case) any other reason?

Last edited:
that would be illegal and is only suppose to be used by emergency vehicles. (same reason you can't do that here)

Oh! and about the "How would we have a better drivers?", here's my idea - G1 lasts for 2 years and G2 lasts for 3, If you get ANY tickets/crashes before you take your final test then you must start all over again (would drive the point home "driving is not a right, it's a privilege . Should weed out some idiots from our roads, resulting in less crashes and lower insurance premiums! Unless the gov's plan is to have more bad drivers so to feed the auto industry more customers, which I wouldnt be surprised about.

Who taught you to drive? I'll use you as a bad example. Your dad taught you to drive - and he sucks. Really bad. So beyond his teachings you shelled out $50 for Gung Ho's A1 Driving School (read: crappy education). So alas you've gotten ****** education and ****** driving habits that you'll be reinforcing for the rest of your driving life - G1 to G2 to G.

I'm sure you can see my point. It's not exactly the length of time, but the quality of the education. That's the root. I am sure it's all tied to economics - businesses and the government making money, but when you have so many falsely accredited or non-accredited driving schools, or just parents (read poor drivers) teaching each generation - it leaves us in our current state.

We all need to consider how multicultural our society is too. Along with their faith and cultural believes, immigrants bring their driving "habits" - which may have worked work in their originating country, but not in Canada.

A governed driver's education & licensing system is (in my view) the only solution.

that would be illegal and is only suppose to be used by emergency vehicles. (same reason you can't do that here)

Fair enough, but you'd think (given a safe speed differential) moving along the shoulder is the safest place for a motorcycle to split/filter.. and a motorcycle can easily move out of the way of emergency vehicles - unlike larger motor vehicles. Again - for clarity - I only play out this scenario for traffic jams where traffic is stopped and/or very slow moving.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom