Can we legalize lane filtering yet? | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can we legalize lane filtering yet?

Toronto is a traffic mess and it will take a decade to reverse, if the head is taken out of the *** now.

It's a world class city (not my words) with a very low class traffic system. The only two things being better here than across the pond are .... Right turn on red and traffic lights being in front you, not above you. I cannot figure out why they just don't adapt it there. I should also point out that the obsession with low speed limits in cities and around is crazy in Europe. To the point that driving starts to be really a pain, not enjoyment like it used to be ...

Had someone from Germany run right through the red light to the other side, and then stop in the intersection, waiting for the light to change.

Yeah but if there's a hole, you get in at speed. That's what i do with the car, that's what i do with the bike. I merge in a way that the person behind me doesn't have to adjust their speed. The problem is, there's gonna be tons of holes. People are just speeding by them and going to the end of the lane and then BRAKES, not enough space to fit everyone.

SO then, they end up merging almost on the shoulder/end of merging lane at speeds below traffic speed cause its stuck at a literal bottleneck.

Usually by that point (end of merging lane), on the bike, im already in the center lane.

What I normally do is line myself up with an opening and go with the flow until the end.
If I'm in the middle lane, I will try and force the person down towards the merge point, and then let them in.

Yes some people will try and force you out in the GTA,
but in many places, zipper merging works, and it causes less slowdown for the middle lane.

Now that we have a new Federal government that seems to care more about climate change, green house gasses and whatnot, could it be time to re-propose legalization of lane filtering to the prov/fed govt? ;)

Last edited:
Now that we have a new Federal government that seems to care more about climate change, green house gasses and whatnot, could it be time to re-propose legalization of lane filtering to the prov/fed govt? ;)
Justin does a lot of things, if he rode, we'd be in luck but I guess thats a checkbox he's got blank lol.

Honestly I don't count on them until they realize what being a world class city really means. (ie embracing motorcycle ridership through measure that do NOT deincentivize them)

if you simply took those simple measures
-ensure parking stays free downtown for motos on street parking
-reform the insurance system in ontario for motorcycle riders (maybe reflect a little more the Quebec system)
-include motorcycles in HOV lanes (at least in the GTA)
-include electric motorcycles in the EV green rebate segment

I can guarantee you there'd be more riders. And these measures would cost a lot less than getting the transit system up to par :p

Except that it is the Province that sets the traffic rules not the feds. Also bikes would have to become a LOT more green then they are now to be considered a "green vehicle" in comparison to the current "green vehicle" offerings. People keep forgetting how SMALL the motorcycle demographic is in relation to total road users. It isn't even on the MTO's radar, the current minister of transportation, has said as much.

Except that it is the Province that sets the traffic rules not the feds. Also bikes would have to become a LOT more green then they are now to be considered a "green vehicle" in comparison to the current "green vehicle" offerings. People keep forgetting how SMALL the motorcycle demographic is in relation to total road users. It isn't even on the MTO's radar, the current minister of transportation, has said as much.

I understand that it has to be handled provincially, just the fact that our Premier seems like shes pretty fond of our PM and would consider filtering to make commuting "greener" which seems to be what the PM is pushing for in terms of climate change.

There are also the other aspects of filtering to consider (good and bad), but this is just another point that can be debated.

The problem is that the act of lane filtering is not explicitly illegal and is up to the cop's discretion of what they want to charge you with. Some cops either don't know what 'stunting' is, or they just want to show people who's boss.
Rolling by at 15-20km/h between stationary cars at a red light should not warrant the same charge and penalties as wheelie-ing at 130km/h down the 401.

Last edited:
Justin Has pot to legalize and Kathleen has to get the LCBO ready for it. Too many more important things for them to concentrate on. Besides even Kathleen couldn't figure out how to blow a Billion on lane spliting...lol

I understand that it has to be handled provincially, just the fact that our Premier seems like shes pretty fond of our PM and would consider filtering to make commuting "greener" which seems to be what the PM is pushing for in terms of climate change.

There are also the other aspects of filtering to consider (good and bad), but this is just another point that can be debated.

Justin Has pot to legalize and Kathleen has to get the LCBO ready for it. Too many more important things for them to concentrate on. Besides even Kathleen couldn't figure out how to blow a Billion on lane spliting...lol

Either way, it was a thought as it seems (to me at least) the practice of lane filtering seems to be becoming more and more popular and should depend how this maneuver is executed rather than how the cop 'feels' at the time.

Though I guess that can be said for getting pulled over going 10km/h over the limit because the cop felt like it.

Anyways... CLIMATE CHANGE! lol

Last edited:
Are you inferring that lane splitting should be a higher priority than climate change?

1. Did not say lane splitting.
2. No, saying that climate change can be used as a point to push legalization of lane filtering.

Don't know what you read for you to think I was saying that lane splitting should be a higher priority than climate change...

Last edited:
1. Did not say lane splitting.
2. No, saying that climate change can be used as a point to push legalization of lane filtering.

Don't know what you read for you to think I said lane splitting should be a higher priority than climate change...

Fine, filtering. #semantics

There are too few motos to have an effect.

problem is that, for example, some of us could execute this safely and without being in anyones way
however the cool bros out there will do it very fast and cut people off, causing a cager to panic
thats the bigger issue here
you're right, it's all about execution. But they won't legalize it just to save the few morons...or maybe they're the majority? :lmao:

you're right, it's all about execution. But they won't legalize it just to save the few morons...or maybe they're the majority? :lmao:

Majority need to learn to ride. Having them think they're able to do even stupider things would not be wise.

This was the public reaction apparantly when they first started blue-box recycling in 1981 in Canada with 1500 homes only. "Too few to have an effect."
Hell that's the reaction I get telling people I'm vegan for environmental reasons...but hey at least I'm not part of the problem :happy6:

I thought that blue boxing has a negative effect?

Not going to go into Vegans.

Anyway, I still say that we learn to ride first, then work towards more advanced stuff.

I thought that blue boxing has a negative effect?

Not going to go into Vegans.

Anyway, I still say that we learn to ride first, then work towards more advanced stuff.
Could easily be something that is restricted to full M

Changing the lane markers to double hash-marked lines 2 feet wide would blow a billion pretty quickly.

Fine, filtering. #semantics

There are too few motos to have an effect.

Not semantics. there are differences. As per Australia NSW rules on this

What’s the difference between lane filtering and lane splitting?
  • Lane filtering is where a motorcycle rider moves past stationary or slow moving vehicles safely at a speed of 30km/h or less. Lane filtering is legal in NSW.
  • Lane splitting is where a motorcycle rider moves past vehicles at an unsafe speed of more than 30km/h. Lane splitting is illegal.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/motorcyclists/lanefiltering/faqs.html

Back
Top Bottom