Can we legalize lane filtering yet? | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can we legalize lane filtering yet?

To be truthful, back in the 1980s I did it all the time without a second thought when the traffic slowed below 20kph. Splitting, shoulder, whatever it took. You got the odd jerk who tried to squeeze you out, but you have to be wary of that. Never, ever got a ticket. I was not exactly a conformist back then. I tend to be a lot more legal about things now that I'm older, but I'm surprised by how many motorcyclists are so timid about doing it these days. Where are all the young rebels?

If we didnt have to worry about HTA172 id filter and split on the regular.

If we didnt have to worry about HTA172 id filter and split on the regular.

How do they catch up to you on a jammed highway? Not trying to counsel someone to commit a crime, but if you don't see them and you keep going... In most cases the police just never bothered. But yeah, I see what you mean about confiscation. I don't think that is an appropriate application of 172, and I doubt I would ever have stopped back then if I thought I was going to lose my bike. At the time it represented my livelihood.

Last edited:
How do they catch up to you on a jammed highway? Not trying to counsel someone to commit a crime, but if you don't see them and you keep going... In most cases the police just never bothered. But yeah, I see what you mean about confiscation. I don't think that is an appropriate application of 172, and I doubt I would ever have stopped back then if I thought I was going to lose my bike. At the time it represented my livelihood.
I'm not the type that would run and the cops having the shoulder to use they can easily catch you on the 400 series if you are splitting through heavy traffic. I'll filter here and there when I am in the city but I try not to make a habit out of it.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I doubt I would ever have stopped back then if I thought I was going to lose my bike. At the time it represented my livelihood.

If it represented your livelihood at the time, why would you even begin to think about doing something that would endanger it in the first place?

That goes for everyone else too who would use the same excuse to run if lit up. If your license and your vehicle are that important to you, then why would you be so stupid as to unnecessarily risk either of them?

If it represented your livelihood at the time, why would you even begin to think about doing something that would endanger it in the first place?

Because if I was late for work because of a traffic jam I would lose my livelihood also.

That goes for everyone else too who would use the same excuse to run if lit up. If your license and your vehicle are that important to you, then why would you be so stupid as to unnecessarily risk either of them?

I think that's the point. They don't much do it anymore, I suppose since so much ends up on YoTube these days and you're busted.

I filter through traffic when it's stopped at red lights, though I only go about 5kmph, just incase some tool opens his door without looking. But I would never lane split because that's just asking for trouble.

It's funny to hear the locals go on about LA traffic, I find GTA much worse.

Haha its true, i remember there being lots of traffic last time I was in california, but I feel like our traffic is way worse. I asked my friend who moved down there what he thought, and he pointed out something I never realised, "Only in toronto do people stop their cars completely on a highway". Other places might have bad traffic, but it moves. This is the only place I've ever seen every lane completely stopped without there being a major accident.

around here anyway, i find that alot of hwy jam ups with completely stopped lanes is because for one, no one knows what the word "merge" means.
Also seems like everyone only looks 1ft in front of their car and thus does not see the signs saying lane will end shortly. So everyone is surprised the lane
ends and then we have issue one with the merge.

also here, many cars seem to drive like they in a Nascar race. 2ft from car in front. I have even seen 18 wheelers in the left (fast lane) playing nascar. scary.

around here anyway, i find that alot of hwy jam ups with completely stopped lanes is because for one, no one knows what the word "merge" means.
Also seems like everyone only looks 1ft in front of their car and thus does not see the signs saying lane will end shortly. So everyone is surprised the lane
ends and then we have issue one with the merge.

also here, many cars seem to drive like they in a Nascar race. 2ft from car in front. I have even seen 18 wheelers in the left (fast lane) playing nascar. scary.

Oh, they know the lane ends all right. They're just special and deserve to be at the front of the line. There are even studies and articles coming out now stating that this is the right way to drive, because it eases congestion. Those studies, however, seem to ignore the fact that this is one of the ways that the congested, stopped traffic is created in the first place.

Those studies, however, seem to ignore the fact that this is one of the ways that the congested, stopped traffic is created in the first place.

Not necessarily, imagine bumper to bumper highway traffic, and imagine if people coming off a merge lane or an on ramp stopping as soon as the dotted line starts to try and merge, would start a massive backup in that lane as well no?

It makes sense for mergers to ride the merge lane right to the end of it to keep the lane open for people following. It's on the people in the "slow lane" to see mergers coming up the merge lane and stagger themselves appropriately to make room.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Oh, they know the lane ends all right. They're just special and deserve to be at the front of the line. There are even studies and articles coming out now stating that this is the right way to drive, because it eases congestion. Those studies, however, seem to ignore the fact that this is one of the ways that the congested, stopped traffic is created in the first place.

Ideally youre supposed to run out the merge lane getting up to speed, merging in when you can. But in practice, even if I leave 2 or 3 car lengths in front of me, people will speed past and then stop at the end of the lane, rather than merging in 50 feet early. Then they merge in doing maybe 10kmh and **** up all the traffic. Not to mention we have some of the shittiest merge lanes ever built (islington/gardner, browns line/gardner onramp, holy **** who thought those were a good idea)

Ideally youre supposed to run out the merge lane getting up to speed, merging in when you can. But in practice, even if I leave 2 or 3 car lengths in front of me, people will speed past and then stop at the end of the lane, rather than merging in 50 feet early. Then they merge in doing maybe 10kmh and **** up all the traffic. Not to mention we have some of the shittiest merge lanes ever built (islington/gardner, browns line/gardner onramp, holy **** who thought those were a good idea)
Merging is night and day between Europe and Canada. In Europe, people understand that merging early, and allowing cars to merge moves traffic faster. Failure to yield is enforced in Europe.
Here, people use merge lanes as passing lanes, and encounter people who block them from merging, because it's all some kind of retarded race and the OPP only enforce speeding.

Another big difference is Europeans know how to use hazard lights, and use them properly. No one uses hazards in sudden stop situations on highways here.

Haha its true, i remember there being lots of traffic last time I was in california, but I feel like our traffic is way worse. I asked my friend who moved down there what he thought, and he pointed out something I never realised, "Only in toronto do people stop their cars completely on a highway". Other places might have bad traffic, but it moves. This is the only place I've ever seen every lane completely stopped without there being a major accident.

Toronto is a traffic mess and it will take a decade to reverse, if the head is taken out of the *** now.

It's a world class city (not my words) with a very low class traffic system. The only two things being better here than across the pond are .... Right turn on red and traffic lights being in front you, not above you. I cannot figure out why they just don't adapt it there. I should also point out that the obsession with low speed limits in cities and around is crazy in Europe. To the point that driving starts to be really a pain, not enjoyment like it used to be ...

Not necessarily, imagine bumper to bumper highway traffic, and imagine if people coming off a merge lane or an on ramp stopping as soon as the dotted line starts to try and merge, would start a massive backup in that lane as well no?

It makes sense for mergers to ride the merge lane right to the end of it to keep the lane open for people following. It's on the people in the "slow lane" to see mergers coming up the merge lane and stagger themselves appropriately to make room.

I see both behaviours on a daily basis, on the ramp from York to The Gardiner westbound. Both are idiotic and self centred.

If someone comes up the ramp and immediately tries to merge into a clear space it's no issue, as long as he's already gotten up to speed. On the other hand the late mergers seem to have the words, "Just one more car" flashing through their brains, which means that they end up FORCING their way into traffic. For example the guy on the 401 westbound at the 404, yesterday, who liked the 8 car lengths in front of me rather than the 30 car lengths behind me, in the slow lane, as the merge lane ended. He had to straddle the solid line to get around me and once he did, actually slowed me down.

A merge lane is for getting up to the speed of traffic and then merging. It isn't a passing lane. It isn't a run down to the end and then force your way in because you're more important than the other thousand people around you lane. A sizable fraction of drivers on the road these days, I would estimate it the be at least 10% and possibly as mucyh as 20% based on my visual estimates, behave in just the way I have outlined. THAT is how you screw up traffic.

I have to disagree with you here. If I'm in the lane being merged into, then I expect, the person who is slightly ahead of me and to my right to merge as their lane disappears, I do not expect the other five trying to sideswipe me when they see that their lane will end in a kilometer or two. That's what backs up the traffic way back from the actual bottlenecks.

I have to disagree with you here. If I'm in the lane being merged into, then I expect, the person who is slightly ahead of me and to my right to merge as their lane disappears, I do not expect the other five trying to sideswipe me when they see that their lane will end in a kilometer or two. That's what backs up the traffic way back from the actual bottlenecks.
Yeah but if there's a hole, you get in at speed. That's what i do with the car, that's what i do with the bike. I merge in a way that the person behind me doesn't have to adjust their speed. The problem is, there's gonna be tons of holes. People are just speeding by them and going to the end of the lane and then BRAKES, not enough space to fit everyone.

SO then, they end up merging almost on the shoulder/end of merging lane at speeds below traffic speed cause its stuck at a literal bottleneck.

Usually by that point (end of merging lane), on the bike, im already in the center lane.

Toronto is a traffic mess and it will take a decade to reverse, if the head is taken out of the *** now.

It's a world class city (not my words) with a very low class traffic system. The only two things being better here than across the pond are .... Right turn on red and traffic lights being in front you, not above you. I cannot figure out why they just don't adapt it there. I should also point out that the obsession with low speed limits in cities and around is crazy in Europe. To the point that driving starts to be really a pain, not enjoyment like it used to be ...

Most countries do not allow right turn on red, even many states and provinces. Speed limits and red-turning are about societies that have more pedestrians in cities. With the population density in major European cities, most people don't drive to get around, they walk or use transit and the long term outlook for Paris and London is just shutting down all roads within the core.

Yeah but if there's a hole, you get in at speed. That's what i do with the car, that's what i do with the bike. I merge in a way that the person behind me doesn't have to adjust their speed. The problem is, there's gonna be tons of holes. People are just speeding by them and going to the end of the lane and then BRAKES, not enough space to fit everyone.

SO then, they end up merging almost on the shoulder/end of merging lane at speeds below traffic speed cause its stuck at a literal bottleneck.

Usually by that point (end of merging lane), on the bike, im already in the center lane.

Do you close the gap if the car in front of you moves over? Having aimed myself at many an opening in traffic and had someone close the door just as I get to it, that might just explain the issue.

Back
Top Bottom