Can we legalize lane filtering yet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can we legalize lane filtering yet?

I do not think it is a good idea. Cars do not see bikes as it is when we are in our own lanes let alone moving between them.
[video=youtube;_GH8D2EqDZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GH8D2EqDZs[/video]

problem is that, for example, some of us could execute this safely and without being in anyones way
however the cool bros out there will do it very fast and cut people off, causing a cager to panic
thats the bigger issue here

I was in Cali on the freeway and got lane split by 2 CHP's on motorcycles at speed. At first I was like WTF! Then I realized all the motorcycles were doing it, because its legal there. So it makes me think if they can make it work why cant we make it work here too....

This wouldn't work, because Toronto, and Ontario has horrible drivers. They can't even tell where their own car is, never mind other cars, or bikes.

They don't even let us ride in the HOV lanes. They took away our free parking. What makes you think they're gonna let us lane filter

I wish they would, but this is onterrible and nothing good or logical ever happens here. But you can always count on more dumb laws, higher taxes/fees, ******** roads and even worse drivers!

I do not think it is a good idea. Cars do not see bikes as it is when we are in our own lanes let alone moving between them.

So, you are claiming that the rest of the world is in the wrong for allowing filtering, but Canada and (most of) USA know it better?

I always thought this was only an American way of thinking.. =)

So, you are claiming that the rest of the world is in the wrong for allowing filtering, but Canada and (most of) USA know it better?

I think it would be a good idea if:

1. Drivers were better educated here and less selfish and less dangerous and more aware of highway rules.
2. The climate changed so we could ride year round and then drivers would be aware of us for 365 days rather than a few hundred.
3. The climate changed so that road markings didn't randomly vanish from roads
4. We had graduated licensing so that people were more likely to ride more safely and responsibly

So, no time soon.

2805798-9931013354-2421526-7724001060-863903f2fa251f0867cddcb4beb41665_30356.jpg__thumb

I never had a problem when I lived in San Diego and did it all the time. Stay aware, and learn how to do it. There are certain guidelines, it's not anything goes.

I have seen this thread come up a lot and I fully agree that we should be able to filter through stopped traffic or very slow moving traffic. How do we go about actually getting a law like this passed? Do we have to mail our MP's? do a petition? what is the protocol?

I would LOVE it if they did that here. But as another poster mentioned, we seem to be going backwards in Ontario..

It definitely helps. We have an office in El Segundo which is right beside LAX and when I lived there it probably took 30 mins of my commute compared with the car.

As someone mentioned a key thing is to have the other laws in place to make it illegal to cut off motorcycles, etc, etc.

I used to do it a lot in Toronto before HTA172 and never really had a big problem.

Not in the wrong, but I am assuming they have been doing allowing it for a very long time and is a part of normal driving in those places. Maybe I am wrong on this. We have never had lane filtering, people already miss us when we are where we are supposed to. What type of education do you think will allow drivers to see bikers when they are lane filtering?

I am all for more freedoms, but I think this would have a few facility headlines in local papers. Legal or not, I would not do it.

Some of you have heard this before but...

I used to lane split. Somebody purposely opened their door on me to try and knock me off. He also flipped me the bird after.

I don't commute with my bike anymore so won't be in traffic but the above scenario ends in two ways: me hurt, or the driver being dragged out of his/her car and getting the **** kicked out of him/her (equal rights!). I'd rather not either scenario so I just don't lane split anymore.

Last edited:
油井緋色;2275653 said:
Some of you have heard this before but...

I used to lane split. Somebody purposely opened their door on me to try and knock me off. He also flipped me the bird after.

I don't commute with my bike anymore so won't be in traffic but the above scenario ends in two ways: me hurt, or the driver being dragged out of his car and getting the **** kicked out of him/her (equal rights!). I'd rather not either scenario so I just don't lane split anymore.

I've filtered in Maple before rolling slowly down the middle to a red light. As I stopped at the light, some jack *** gets out of his convertible a few cars back and walks up to me to try and start a fight. I just hit the throttle and made a right. Some people are retarded for sure.

Back
Top Bottom