Ontario Ownership, 5 years later? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario Ownership, 5 years later?

architect

Site Supporter
The original owner bought the bike brand new cross the border in 2010. He had done all the proper importing procedure with the RIV and has all the documentation to show for. However, he did not bother to plate/register Ontario ownership as the bike went straight to track. If I wanted to plate it or at least have Ontario ownership papers on it, do I have to pay the HST on the original bill of sale of original owner, or the bill of sale between me and the owner?
Thanks in advance.

The original owner bought the bike brand new cross the border in 2010. He had done all the proper importing procedure with the RIV and has all the documentation to show for. However, he did not bother to plate/register Ontario ownership as the bike went straight to track. If I wanted to plate it or at least have Ontario ownership papers on it, do I have to pay the HST on the original bill of sale of original owner, or the bill of sale between me and the owner?
Thanks in advance.
Should be you and the owner, I would think. Might be wrong, though.

May depend upon the agent you deal with if the bike was imported and the taxes never paid then, they could seek their pound of flesh..lol But in all likelihood you will just pay the current HST. Tat is as long as all the paperwork is in order, and they accept that. Given it was never completed they could< (if being a prick) say it has to be done all over, as it is now stale dated, or they could say there are too many red flags, (IE is bike stolen etc). Hopefully the previous owner can be contacted and will cooperate.

Obviously bike will also need to be made street legal.

Hopefully all goes smoothly for you, with them. Good luck
Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar situation when I purchased a motorcycle from someone who did not register it in his name. RIV made me pay HST on the sale price from the person I bought the bike from, not the price he paid the original owner. Makes sense as the value of the bike could have drastically changed.

Does the RIV Form 1 Vehicle Import Form and Inspection form expire? Since it was done 5 years ago when it was required.

Tell him to register it and then you will buy it from him. Why get into all the hassle. If he wants to sell it badly enough let him do the dirty work he should have done in the first place. Don't buy someone elses problems it will bite you in the ***** in the end!

Back
Top Bottom