2up comfort tips on a supersport? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2up comfort tips on a supersport?

Titties to the back... If a dude, look up "2 balls rule" :cool:

I have a buddy with a couple of first gen R1's and he recovered a passenger seat with better padding/foam so it was a comfier ride for his girlfriends butt to be on.
I do agree that a lot of it is geometry-I've found my legs can get sore from riding for awhile I can't imagine being on the back.
I know the last two women I've dated have absolutely hated riding my R1's due to the speed, and feel of the bike as well as the riding position. They did/do however very much so enjoy every vintage Honda I've owned. Super sports aren't really made for passengers but where there is a will there is a way. It is possible.

I know the last two women I've dated have absolutely hated riding my R1's due to the speed.

And this leads to the most important passenger comfort suggestion, don't ride like a fool if it bothers your passenger.

Your R1 had a broken throttle? Only full speed ahead? I always ride with passengers by riding style request. Never have I had any girlfriends hate being on my bike because of me. I've had psycho girlfriends who enjoyed the back tire stepping out at 220, doing wheelies, falling asleep when cruising, etc. Never had I required a passenger to be anything but perpendicular unless signalled to prepare for anything up to maximum acceleration.

Ask what they would be comfortable with.

Why would any biker want anyone who rides passenger learn to hate bikes? So they can tell their friends how bikes are crap and sport riders are idiots?

Most important thing: wipe off the snail-trail from the passenger seat before you get home so your gf doesn't see you had another girl on there ;)

You can buy a passenger handle that fits on your gas cap, that I'll help a lot and IMO is one of the best ways to help the passenger keep their weight off you. A different seat that has a bit more grip and is more comfortable is a big plus. Changing your windscreen to try and get the air over your head and your passenger will also add to their comfort.

My wife has spent a lot of time on the back and these are here main complaints.
The windscreen is a great tip because when the air goes over your helmet and hits hers, it can create air fluctuations and her helmet will keep moving and getting her neck tired (you don't want a tired neck when you get to your destination lol) and in some cases hitting against your helmet.

And this leads to the most important passenger comfort suggestion, don't ride like a fool if it bothers your passenger.

I've always rode nice with passengers on all of my bikes especially with my R1's though, the seating position played a much bigger part in their issues than anything else. I never rode like a fool with a passenger on my R1. I never registered or insured either of my R1's, so the last thing I could do was ever have any type of problems.

However prior to riding with me the first lady I dated who didn't enjoy being on the back of it had only ridden cruisers with backrests and on my cafe CX500. The lady I'm dating now to my knowledge had never ridden before we dated and never got to ride my CX, so she's only ridden my R1, my C70 and a china 150cc Scooter.
Neither of these women are drivers them selves, they don't even ride bicycles. They're terrified of the roads- being on a bike out of cage doesn't exactly help. So being on the highway even going 100km/h-120 km/h was extremely nerve racking for them.
Despite everything, or anything I told them or did they both felt like they could fall off at any point since there was nothing behind them and they felt the seat was small.

I'm too young and inexperienced and I don't have enough money or make enough money to ride like an idiot. Like I said though- especially with passengers.
I've only ever opened my R1 up on the highway, alone or in a group of other SS bikes, where I had an open road, didn't need to cut lanes and weather was fantastic. Good rubber, and great leathers with full faces. Not exactly taking any more risks then I already was by owning and riding the bike.
Both women don't hate riding they just don't like riding a super sport. They are willing to ride them but would prefer to ride a cruiser with a big seat and a back rest- or at least a very casual, relaxed riding position.

Most important thing: wipe off the snail-trail from the passenger seat before you get home so your gf doesn't see you had another girl on there ;)

Good call.

I've always rode nice with passengers on all of my bikes especially with my R1's though, the seating position played a much bigger part in their issues than anything else. I never rode like a fool with a passenger on my R1.

Thanks for clarifying. So what you meant was the sensation of speed. Out in the open, no backrest, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to write that and clearing up my misconception.

Thanks for clarifying. So what you meant was the sensation of speed. Out in the open, no backrest, etc. I appreciate you taking the time to write that and clearing up my misconception.
No problem RedDogDarren! ;) Don't want anyone to think I'm some hooligan on a C70 who was riding an R1. LOL. I'm not even sure if it was entirely the sensation of speed- more like we said, the seating position, no back rest etc, or just the fact that there's no cage to protect them. Not everyone loves to ride.

Not too bad of an idea. I like it.

although I must say I LOVE their 'Ride Safe with your kids' photo which includes a guy in a t-shirt, with a little girl in shorts and t-shirt and only a helmet...

How about something like this?

http://grip-n-ride.com/

Was thinking the same thing, not one person in the pictures has an gear except a helmet LOL....

The whole marketing of this odd. Check out their videos and customer testimonials

[video=vimeo;109076986]https://vimeo.com/109076986[/video]

Last edited:
Out of curiosity and at the risk of starting a flame war:

I'm a ATGATT type of rider. For those of you who are constantly 2upping the same girl, did you get her gear?

油井緋色;2275659 said:

I'm a ATGATT type of rider. For those of you who are constantly 2upping the same girl, did you get her gear?

I would never flame you. Just the opposite, Kudos to you.
A few years ago I met this hot Hungarian girl. Asked her if she wanted to ride with me.
Nope she said. She said she would get her own bike. That is a big I like her.
Plus she got her own gear. Bonus.

油井緋色;2275659 said:

After a while, you'll have a small closet of Small and Medium sized gear that will fit the only sized passenger you would want on the back of your supersport. At one point i had 3 helmets, 2 jackets, 2 sets of boots and 3 pairs of gloves for passengers. Always wear protection ;)

and yeah, watch out for pine cones.

油井緋色;2275694 said:
...man, this is gonna get expensive quick lol

Just buy some elcheapo clearance items at RD. You can most likely score bucket/jacket/gloves in the $100-150 ballpark. Might even luck out on a pair of touring pants that go over regular pants, but I never bothered with that. Instruct them to wear boots with best ankle support that they got.

油井緋色;2275659 said:

No flaming. Very valid question. No gear no ride. My significant others used to ride in my gear but It's too big and heavy for them which is saying something because I'm not a big guy. My girlfriend still uses my helmet, a one year old matte black Suomy, and a pair of my gloves, which eventually will probably change, but she has her own Alpine Stars Leather Jacket and Pants.

Back
Top Bottom