I need your help! | GTAMotorcycle.com

I need your help!

Milli_R6

Hi, I have a 2003 Yamaha R6 and am having some problems with it.
Once my bike is started and the temperature reaches 100 degrees, I pop it in to first and it shuts off by itself and the fan goes off.
It does not start up again until it cools down. When the bike temperature is under 100 degrees, everything works fine.
What can the problem be???
Thanks.

I am no R6 expert, but is that 100C or 100F? If it is that hot just after start up I would think you have a problem with your cooling system and the ECU shuts down the motor down to avoid overheating damage.
parillaguy

Sounds like the rectifier is over heating - I am not a mechanic, I did stay at a holiday in last night

I thought it might be a voltage regulator problem or even the stator but then my bike would have trouble starting, no?

Last edited:
Explain to the class exactly what you are doing and what is happening. And, get yourself a digital multimeter, and have the bike on its rear stand with the rear wheel off the ground.

Take the seat off, set the multimeter to measure DC voltage, measure voltage across battery terminals. Key off, engine off. What's the reading?

When you turn the key on and start the engine, what does the temperature display show (A) before starting the engine (if it displays it), and (B) immediately after starting the engine? If the bike has been sitting for some time, does this temperature display make sense given the temperature that the bike has been sitting around in? Many temp gauges don't display anything if the temperature is below a certain amount ... that's OK ... does the amount of time of running engine that it takes before the temp gauge starts showing anything, make sense given the ambient temperature?

With the engine idling,having just started it, again measure the voltage across the battery terminals. What is it?

With the coolant temperature *just* having started to increase above minimum, switch the engine off. Let it sit for 10 seconds. Start the engine. Is all normal?

Now, with the bike safely on its rear stand (and still below the temperature at which you report problems), pull in the clutch, flip up the side stand, shift into gear, and gradually let out the clutch as you would normally do if you were riding. What happens? If anything abnormal happens, what happens, and at exactly what step in this process?

Now go back to neutral and with the side stand in the same condition that it was in when you report the problem (up? down?) and hold that multimeter against the battery terminals and report voltage. Continue to monitor that voltage until you are into the scenario where the problem occurs. Again repeat the starting-off-from-a-stop scenario and describe what happens and at exactly what step the engine stops.

Immediately after the engine stops:
- What is the voltage across the battery terminals?
- Is the taillight still on?
- Is the headlight still on?
- After the engine stopped, did the instruments display anything out of the ordinary - particularly the fault-warning lamp?
- Go back into neutral. Is the neutral light on?
- Press the start button. What happens? Is it a "nothing", is it a "click", is it a "crank but no fire", or does the engine crank and start normally?
- That is a fuel-injected engine. Is the fault warning indicator on at any time when it shouldn't be?

We need as much information as possible. The subtlest little thing can be the clue to what's wrong.

Last edited:
Had much the same problem with my Ducati.
Ducati issued a recall.
Changed the coolant and installed a different thermostat.
Thermostat closed way too early causing the overheating.

"ZX600".... I hope it was "The Holiday Inn Express" Not the regular one. Lol.

Key off, engine off my temp gauge says Lo. Immediately after starting the bike, it still says Lo but after 2 mins of running time it shows 40 degreesC.

When the engine is idling the voltage across the battery terminals is 14.6v. After shutting the engine off for 10secs and starting it back up, everything is normal and the V is 14.5v.

With the bike on the stands in first gear, everything is normal. Starts up fine and sounds normal.

My problem occurs when the bike temp reaches 100degreesC. As soon as it reaches 100 and I put it in first gear to move, it shuts off and the fan turns on. The fan turns back off at around 80degeesC, but the bike still does not start.
Immediately after the engine stops:
The voltage at the battery terminal is 11.92v.
Taillight ON
Headlight OFF
The fault warning lamp does not come on.
The neutral light remains on.
When I try to start it up again, it clicks but there is no crank or fire.
The warning indicator does not come on at any time.

Your battery voltage after the engine stalls sounds low, but I doubt that's the issue.

Check with the R6 forums, or get the bike to someone who can troubleshoot in person.

Holy, Brian! I hope you keep your troubleshooting steps saved in a document so you can paste them in without having to type it every time! Great list of steps.

Holy, Brian! I hope you keep your troubleshooting steps saved in a document so you can paste them in without having to type it every time! Great list of steps.
+1.

usually step 1 for me is to pick the bike up off it's side.

check your grounds. kind of sounds like a bad connection. when the fan wants to come on it cuts power to the ignition.

usually when there is a weird problem it's the ground.

As soon as it reaches 100 and I put it in first gear to move, it shuts off and the fan turns on.
I have both the Owners manual and Service manual for your bike available for download on my site: http://ecuflashking.com/r6/manuals/2003-2005 Yamaha R6/ (the Race manual will not make your bike faster, that's for a special YEC ecu which your bike does not have).

How old is the battery? And just FYI, the R6 does NOT charge the battery at idle (with the headlights + fan on)! Letting it idle for long periods of time, especially if the fan ever comes on, is a good way drain a battery, if not kill it completely.

The fan turns on because the engine turned off and the temperature sensor saw a big spike in coolant temp (because it's no longer circulating).

If your battery is weak the bike will NOT start while the fan is running, as well as if the temperature at the coolant sensor is over 116c it will also prevent the bike from starting.

The fan does a very poor job of cooling the engine/coolant when the bike is not running. Do NOT let the fan run for any period of time when the bike is not running.

Your only problem to figure out is why the bike is turning off. Do you have the kickstand up when you're putting it into gear?

For a test:

Put it into gear at say 92 degrees C and keep holding the clutch in until the fan comes on. Does it stay running fine indefinitely? Does it cut out as soon as the fan comes on?

Report back findings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom