Anyone here have an S4 | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here have an S4

In the end its about budget. You can get a newer lower mileage A4 for the price of an older more beat up S4, and the logic continues into the RS4. You CERTAINLY won't outrun an S4 with your A4, if the dollar-to-dollar tuning is done on both cars.

On the other hand, you CAN outrun the RS4 in a tuned S4 with dollar-to-dollar mods. The RS4 is pretty peaked out as it is... to get more power out of the NA V8 you need the hardware mods, and even then you're probably just moving the powerband around. Hard to beat forced induction in this category.

Whats the big deal about wanting a fast daily driver? I'm sure he'd gladly buy a 458 or something if he could afford it... but us plebs gotta lower our expectations.

I think I'd buy an S4 over an A4 for the tuning ability. Same reason I'd consider a 335 or 535 BMW over the lesser models, maybe even over M cars. It's nice to be able to drop $1000 on 100hp and have a daily driver that is actually quick.

buy as fast a 4 door as you want just stop deluding yourself about the difference between the s4 and the A4.
and they are both forced induction engines so both as easily tuneable..The tunes crank up the boost mostly. Too much fanboy gheyness is what's the most annoying. No one can't take criticism of their special little car.
bro my civic has 600 hp bro....no bro my s4 has 1000....my turbo busa has 1200 bro

Last edited:
Engine alone is a pretty good reason to go with the S4. How you gonna show off to your bros if you only have a 300hp tuned A4 and they all have 400hp S4s¿

More is betterer.

I grew up in the fast and furious age and want something with pep. I currently have an old bimmer 2 door. Deffs not looking at coupes...had enough. The s4 has the best of everything i want in a doable price range. I also decided that when i get my next car i want top of the line..so deff s4 over an a4. I want a fast sedan. If i had money out the ass id get the new m3 or panamera or m5 m6 gran coupe...but for the money im willing to spend the s4 has it all.

You won't ever make the A4 perform like the S4. Even if you were able to get the 2.0L up to the power output of the 3.0T, it would never compete well, as the quattro drivetrain in the S4 is dramatically different from the old Haldex AWD setup (or worse, straight-up FWD) and traditional transmission in the A4. As I said, the *entire* drivetrain between the A4 and S4 is different. The body is different, the steering components are different, the suspension is different, the interior is somewhat different, brakes are different, etc. etc. To bring the A4 up to the S4 level is really not an option. It would require more money and time than taking the S4 suspension and brakes to the RS4 level, since the drivetrain is arguably superior after tuning. Which brings up another topic: You can clearly see on the dyno graph I posted that Audi deliberately bleeds off boost after a certain RPM (6200, iirc) so that the car won't compete with the RS4, there really is no other reason, as nobody has reported any engine failures at the 400whp-ish level to date nor any other drivetrain failure (worn clutch plates excluded).

Have fun with it, or whatever you end up buying. I don't think there's anything in its price and feature category that is better than the S4, though the 335i is a close second in my opinion. Or you could find a nice C63 AMG if you don't care much about actually putting the power to the ground. lol

Last edited:
as the quattro drivetrain in the S4 is dramatically different from the old Haldex AWD setup (or worse, straight-up FWD) and traditional transmission in the A4.

A4s have never had Haldex systems.

A4s have never had Haldex systems.

Maybe I'm really misunderstanding what my VAG service manager friend had to say about it. A quick Internet search says you may be right and it's a Torsen system, but the systems differ between A and S cars. The A4 has a FWD-only option, the S4 does not. The A4 has a tiptronic 8 speed, the S4 a DSG 7 speed. I'll have to take it up with him when he's online next (tonight?) Then again he's been talking about the A3/S3 so much recently, he's possibly confused me there. Sorry about that, if so. I'll look him & it up when I return from music practice later tonight.

S4 is nice, but the 335i xdrive should be strongly considered. I know more people who test drove both cars and bought the BMW versus the Audi.

I'd be wary about doing any tune to an Audi while under warranty. Basic service checks generate a TD1 flag saved to the corporate Audi database system and your powertrain warranty will be considered void.

BMW is the same way. Though with more enthusiast tuning support, last I checked there were some options that could be kept on the down low from service department digital assessments, and a few companies will honour the powertrain warranty existing for cars with their tunes.

R32s and early tt's were haldex. Not a4

They still are haldex. The latest gen 4 and gen 5 haldex units are great AWD options for a road/performance car. Even the Bugatti Veyron uses haldex.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm really misunderstanding what my VAG service manager friend had to say about it. A quick Internet search says you may be right and it's a Torsen system, but the systems differ between A and S cars. The A4 has a FWD-only option, the S4 does not. The A4 has a tiptronic 8 speed, the S4 a DSG 7 speed. I'll have to take it up with him when he's online next (tonight?) Then again he's been talking about the A3/S3 so much recently, he's possibly confused me there. Sorry about that, if so. I'll look him & it up when I return from music practice later tonight.

As I said the s4 and the a4 are very similar. Look at the audi site
comparison

The 335 bmw is a nice car. Pity the interior is the same as 1990. They need a new look inside. Otherwise it would be a great daily.

S4 is nice, but the 335i xdrive should be strongly considered. I know more people who test drove both cars and bought the BMW versus the Audi.

I'd be wary about doing any tune to an Audi while under warranty. Basic service checks generate a TD1 flag saved to the corporate Audi database system and your powertrain warranty will be considered void.

BMW is the same way. Though with more enthusiast tuning support, last I checked there were some options that could be kept on the down low from service department digital assessments, and a few companies will honour the powertrain warranty existing for cars with their tunes.

They still are haldex. The latest gen 4 and gen 5 haldex units are great AWD options for a road/performance car. Even the Bugatti Veyron uses haldex.

Yeah i deff looked at the bimmer but the audi interior is nicer imo. The whole feel of it.

I just never felt anything emotional about them. Looks across their product line are too similar (boring??) but that's just my opinion. .

You got the 'boring' part right. good loooooord.

check out the rump of the 2017 R8 super car. this is the pinnacle of audi design? yeeeesh. the rest of the car is pretty plain too.....

oMFKZmt.jpg

check out the rump of the 2017 R8 super car. this is the pinnacle of audi design? yeeeesh. the rest of the car is pretty plain too.....

totes...my 2009 R8 was gorgeous. The new one.... Snore

oMFKZmt.jpg

strange headlights bro

I think the overall opinion of the new R8 for everyone has been the same... not too impressive. Don't see Mike online tonight to ask him about the differences in A4 vs. S4 drivetrain, and he'd know... he's been to the German VAG offices twice in the past six months. From what I can tell they are numerous, 50/50 split with front wheels the primary set whereas the S4 is rear biased (the B8.5 can put as much as 85% torque to the rear, default split is 40f/60r).

Back
Top Bottom