Anyone here have an S4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here have an S4

msatrakkoic

I am looking into buying a b8 audi s4. Like to get some opinions from you guys, especially owners. Pros. Cons. Anything specific to look for. Only interested in the premium or prestige trims with a manual tranny.

The S4 was a pretty bad *** bike:

Ducati_Monster_S4_Foggy.jpg

Oh wait.........never mind. :p

Probably a fun car but I've never driven one. I think my buddy used to drive an older one.

Last edited:
Audi has some serious defects in there direct injection motors, do some research as out of warranty they can get very expensive. My 2.0 fsi blew up with 97000 km

BB

My wife has a new A4 and we looked at the s4 but I don't get the point . It's not an exotic you can't use the extra power on the street and it looks pretty much like an A4. Just get an a4 and be done with it

My wife has a new A4 and we looked at the s4 but I don't get the point . It's not an exotic you can't use the extra power on the street and it looks pretty much like an A4. Just get an a4 and be done with it

Didn't she have a Tesla last year? How was it?

This. Wheels a little trim and some interior changes. Of course the motor but the 2.0 works just fine.

so where is all this great German engineering
I thought it's a car not a grenade

I have one. These people don't appear to know much about it.

The car has a real quattro drivetrain (B8.5 got a crown gear setup with a bit better handling) and there's lots of things to like about the car, and not too much that isn't likable. It doesn't drive like an A4. The 3.0T is producing about 360hp stock despite the claim of 333hp, and a tune with pulley will give you around 400hp to the wheels, maybe a bit more. There are several tunes out there - main ones are GIAC, APR, EPL (which has home flash), REVO and Unitronic, a Canadian company (working on home flash). My car has the Technik (sp?!) package which I think is equivalent to the old Prestige. Mine has the sport differential as well, which is a big difference if you plan to track or are really aggressive in corners.

Personally I probably wouldn't own the car without the tune. With the tune, they're very quick. First-generation GT-R quick. And they're beasts on snow tires.

Last edited:

The car has a real quattro drivetrain (B8.5 got a crown gear setup with a bit better handling) and there's lots of things to like about the car, and not too much that isn't likable. It doesn't drive like an A4. The 3.0T is producing about 360hp stock despite the claim of 333hp, and a tune with pulley will give you around 400hp to the wheels, maybe a bit more. There are several tunes out there - main ones are GIAC, APR, EPL (which has home flash), REVO and Unitronic, a Canadian company (working on home flash). My car has the Technik (sp?!) package which I think is equivalent to the old Prestige. Mine has the sport differential as well, which is a big difference if you plan to track or are really aggressive in corners.

Personally I probably wouldn't own the car without the tune. With the tune, they're very quick. First-generation GT-R quick. And they're beasts on snow tires.

i know what it is and it's not anywhere near a GTR and who cares unless you track it regularly and even then it's a poor choice...It's a tarted up A4 period. Whether you like it or not

I saw the REVO tuners theres a dealer near me i also believe they have the pulley upgrade so was planning on doing that anyways.

Also would probably get an x pipe not sure what exhaust tho. Any suggestions?

Im set on that car.

A X pipe isn't a bad idea, but don't expect additional performance from it. And sonny is talking out his sphincter. A stage 2 S4 is going to run mid-11s at near 120mph in the 1/4 mile, and 0-60mph in a hair under 4 seconds. It has a 40:60 torque split drivetrain that can vary up to 20% either way and a torque-vectoring differential. At that level, it's not so far off (but not fully equivalent) to the everyday performance of a gen-1 GT-R. It won't work on a race track as well without some work, but it's a lot nicer car to drive, day to day. Not that it's really a comparison I'd make, other than to say that you can accelerate with that kind of urgency, which was my point.

It is definitely *not* a tarted up A4. The entire drivetrain is different, the brakes are different, wheels are different, the seats are different, most suspension pieces are different. The front clip is different, there's a rear air diffuser... A tarted-up A4 is the S-Line model.

Here's a guy who claims to have a "world record" with his S4. Did this shortly after GIAC released a new tune revision.

[video=youtube;EBVwHWooa3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBVwHWooa3Q[/video]

These cars do not respond to exhaust mods, and his intake is the same I've bought, which does have a small effect on power (10hp, perhaps but more consistency which makes it worthwhile). In other words, it's not a remarkable car. Next year with the new Stage 2 tune available and the 7-speed DSG tune, I expect them to be in the low 11.4s with the DSG version of the car and perhaps an intake. Set the world on fire? No. Make for a hell of a quick daily driver? Oh yes. And with the quattro drivetrain, you can use all of it, pretty much any time you want.

BTW, if you go searching for videos or data on the tuned cars, disregard anything before about October last year. The tune companies have refined and improved their tunes for these cars a good deal in the past few months. I'd rate the GIAC, Revo and Unitronic tunes as being the strongest right now, with the nod going to GIAC for overall performance, and Revo for overall features. Unitronic and EPl are both "young" tunes in their early revisions, but EPl's tune is flash-at-home so you can flash back to stock for a dealership visit if you have a warranty... Unitronic's will soon follow, and the current state of the tune itself is very good.

Or leave it untuned if you wish, but you are leaving a lot of performance and excitement on the ground with this car.

Last edited:
I've had two s4's. A b6 and b7. One sedan, one avant both with the 4.2 v8. That to me was the nice jump from the 4 cyl a4 for their respective years. I haven't driven a present s4 but personally given the choice I'd still go back to the older v8 models. That said even the new a4 with an apr tune will dish out 260ish hp and 320 ft lbs. The s4 has more power for sure but it's not like it's astronomically different. Nicer interior yes. Slightly different brakes and suspension yes and a few minor body differences. I agree with shaman comparison. It's maybe not as good on a track but the new s4 isn't any slouch that's for sure. My negative with the new one is the interior with the red seats *barf* but that's personal taste.

Or leave it untuned if you wish, but you are leaving a lot of performance and excitement on the ground with this car.

Or just buy a BMW M3 which comes properly tuned right from the factory with no extra BS required and warranty hassles.

The M3s 425hp stock is plenty enough for anybody. The Audi's 333hp certainly isn't impressive when you consider, as an example that my Japanese SUV normally aspirated V6 pushes 300hp stock. Audi's 'super special' model needs a supercharger to squeeze out a few more? lame....

Last edited:
Not sure what you guys are saying....

bmw M3 twin turbo 6 cyl. 425hp > audi S4 supercharge 6 cyl 333hp

Cubes. Displacement.

You were comparing your SUV's V6 to the S4. What's the displacement? MDX 3.7L (I assume) vs S4's 3.0L? More relevant and less impressive than comparing both because each engine has 6 cylinders laid out in a V configuration - which is meaningless to horsepower.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom