Air Canada's new motorcycle cargo options | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air Canada's new motorcycle cargo options

Special show prices to seduce the attendees at the show. But when you sit down and enquire about them the prices are probably more than offered.

Still though, good on AC to offer this service, with what seem to be reasonable rates so far.
I went to Vancouver during the summer and looked into renting for the week. Even for the week it was going to be $900 for a half decent bike.

I would however like to be present when they are packing my bike. Unless they accept 100% responsibility for any damage during transition which I doubt.

I'd be wrapping the cases in 3 layers of bubble wrap before I give them my bike. Otherwise I'm sure they'd most likely come back scratched. Not enough damage to make an insurance claim, but enough to pi$$ you off abut Air Canada every time you looked at them.

waiting on the GS and Tiger guys to say " Real adventure Riders Use Pelican Cases and location stickers for covering up the scratches"

DSC_7594-XL.jpg

Having Said that, I'd love to ride my bike down in NZ.. :)
Total Hoon!

I wonder how much it would cost to fly to Halifax. If it was cheap enough I would actually do it. I'm too lazy to ride an SS to Nova Scotia AND Back but would be willing to do it one way (back). Riding from Calgary back, even one way is still too much for me.

about $400 to ship in one way in a crate on a truck... (I know from Experience ;-) )

yeah I was thinking about it and I agree... didn't realize it was 3000 kilometers... especially after loving the mountains, what a garbage experience riding home would be.
Especially if one went through Canada. The bordering states aren't exactly scenic either but they're still better than sask or mb

BTW this flight deal only applies in Canada

Just spoke with them, price applies on both flights for a return ticket. If you have to change the date of your return, there is no added fee for changing the date of the bike shipment. Also, you are allowed to leave saddlebags attached to the bike but you are not (for some reason) allowed to pack them with your clothes/personal items.

I had my bikes fully loaded with luggage. They did check contents but there was no issue. Just don't pack aerosols. You can always stop by the cargo area and ask actual people who will accept the bikes. I had to remove mirrors and I placed top box on the seat to make bike smaller. Dangerous goods inspection was someone walking out and saying, yup those are motorcycles. It was pretty straight forward.

Working the Ramps is 100% different then cargo.

Different crew, different tude.

Awesome good to know, I have been wanting to ship my bike to Europe...it might happen this after reading this!

Last edited:
Who won't ship to US ?

Air Canada won't ship your bike to or through the US. The US does not allow the shipping of personal effects by air.
See above email provided by air canada stating that fact...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Air Canada won't ship your bike to or through the US. The US does not allow the shipping of personal effects by air.
See above email provided by air canada stating that fact...

not sure what your talking about, but I called them and to quote myself once more....

OK, so I called....them...I was curious..

Cannot fly directly to San Jose, as their bigger planes do not go there, so you have to fly to Los Angeles - LAX and then its a couple hours of riding to your destination, roughly...

Cost was based on bike dimensions being 90" long X 38" wide X 54" high, yes this is a big bike....LOL but it should cover just about anything...

and the price - $1188.00 all inclusive

hope this helps

Crap, I did not ask if that was one way or return......ahhhh I ain't calling back.....call the 1-800 number and I picked option 4, spoke with Nathan....

I emailed from the Air Canada Cargo site last night and got a reply this morning. They don't do it to the US, 'Due to US customs regulations, we do not offer any service to or through the US as they do not allow for personal effects shipments by air transport.'

Not sure if that was just to me but that was the reply I got when asking which airports in California they can do that at.

That's what I'm referring to, tbh I have no personal experience. In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have answered. Lol

OK, I see where you had the info that they do not do this for US

But unless the guy I spoke with on the phone didn't know what he was doing, there is some serious miscommunication on their end

I assumed he knew they did not fly cargo to San Jose, but it had to go to LA, then asked for dimensions of the bike, and finally gave me a price...

So I can only go by all of that, and presume it was true and they do fly cargo to the US....

Best is, anyone interested in doing this is to call and confirm for yourself......

Cheers

so are these prices being tossed around one way or with return?

OK, I see where you had the info that they do not do this for US

But unless the guy I spoke with on the phone didn't know what he was doing, there is some serious miscommunication on their end

I assumed he knew they did not fly cargo to San Jose, but it had to go to LA, then asked for dimensions of the bike, and finally gave me a price...

So I can only go by all of that, and presume it was true and they do fly cargo to the US....

Best is, anyone interested in doing this is to call and confirm for yourself......

Cheers

I used the following Email as I am in Toronto; YYZFF.ACCONNECT@aircanada.ca

Montreal Email is:yulff.lcacc@aircanada.ca

Vancouver Email is: yvrff.acconnect@aircanada.ca

Calgary Email is: yycff.acconnect@aircanada.ca

I suggest you Email AC and get a quote in writing.

Cheers!

$650 one way to the west coast. Plus some add ons and tax ...figure $900.

It looks good against other less convenient options.
You have to book the flight first ...then the Air Cargo.

The Air Cargo guy says they are running 24/7 and there is no issue with space available.

There is more info here on various options

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-with-the-kid-June-2015&p=2276016#post2276016

I'm now booked on the flight and unless something really good pops up will book the Air Canada for the flight.
You can only book 30 days in advance for the Air Cargo but I like the idea that I could say fly the bike to Newfoundland on a whim and then drive back.
Saves a lot of slogging in one direction.

For instance for our western trip...giving up 6 days of riding out of 24 to cross the big empty was annoying ( and tiring ).
Giving up 3 and riding back with the wind...that's okay tho it costs.

Flying Air Canada to Vancouver is not a downer....

Depart: 08:00 am
Arrive: 09:56 am Toronto, ON (YYZ)
Vancouver, BC (YVR) Air Canada Air Canada, Flight 153
Economy Class
Non-stop

Total Travel Time: 4 hrs 56 mins

$287 one way.
Think about that. - 5 days of riding compacted into 5 hours flying time.

But getting the bike there is the hard part and $650 plus the other bits is a pretty fine deal if you add up cost of fuel, food and accommodation across riding.
You pick up the bike at the Airport you land at and away you go.

I can see more Canadian riding in my future.....but then just drop south for a week and then ride home.
Makes a west coast trip way way more accessible

Last edited:
Too bad there is no Australia option.

Some cheap flights around to Syndey $1500 round trip from Vancouver and that's on Qantas ( much nicer to fly )
and there are always cheap flights to Vancouver.

then $1000 a week for a street triple

http://www.sydneymotorcyclehire.com.au/triumph_hire.html

You can get a DRZ400 for about $120 a day over a week.

So change it up ....do a little trail riding and some sport riding for variety.

I'm shipping my Triumph with Air Canada Cargo in the coming week to Frankfurt. I'm very curious what your experience was when you cleared customs in Europe with your two bikes. Did you experience any difficulties, and other than the waybill, insurance and ownership what documents was Customs looking for? Whatever you can share about clearing customs would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom