Rear-ended in Australia | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear-ended in Australia

Hopefully you are well today: you took quite a hit; it takes a while for the adrenaline to wear off!

Following too close. Which one started it? The one right behind the bike? or was he pushed?

Pushed, there is an ute just barely visible behind the service truck. He must have sailed into the truck at close to full speed (80kph), those cars aren't just dominoed, every single one of them is significantly damaged.

Damn, rider was lucky. He was riding on the right side of the lane which should have made him more visible to the driver. It makes me think the driver was distracted.

It definitely wasn't the guy right behind him that hit him (meaning, without being pushed into the biker), but he certainly could have started the whole chain reaction by suddenly braking hard after having been distracted...

What was interesting to me, was the guy riding his bicycle dropped it and ran over to make sure everyone was ok.. A cyclist thinking of someone other then himself on the road... mind you he wasnt wearing spandex.

Following too close. Which one started it? The one right behind the bike? or was he pushed?

3 Cars back

Travelling along Canberra avenue toward the city in an 80km/h zone. Traffic had backed up ahead and come to a stop. As I came to a stop I checked my mirror and moved to the right of the road in case the car behind wasnt paying attention. I saw him come to a stop and relaxed, looking away. The next thing I knew I was looking at the sky - was the guy three cars back that didnt stop.

Videos like this make me cringe. It all could have been pretty easily avoided and happened because of inexperience.

Anytime you come to an abrupt, unexpected stop like that (especially right after an intersection) you get ready for an exit route and look back in your mirrors to see what's happening behind you. The way he positioned himself looked like he was doing exactly that, but apparently he wasn't. He had lots of room to pull to the right of the vehicle ahead. Bummer.

Videos like this make me cringe. It all could have been pretty easily avoided and happened because of inexperience.

Anytime you come to an abrupt, unexpected stop like that (especially right after an intersection) you get ready for an exit route and look back in your mirrors to see what's happening behind you. The way he positioned himself looked like he was doing exactly that, but apparently he wasn't. He had lots of room to pull to the right of the vehicle ahead. Bummer.

How the heck would he have spotted the car three cars back plowing into the line?

armchair quarterbacks...he'd have seen it all 5 seconds before it happened.

**** happens, he did the right thing, saw the car stop behind him, its very rare that a vehicle doesnt stop at all and manages to plow three other cars forward to then hit you.

In fact, that utility truck probably would have fully obscured any view behind it.

How the heck would he have spotted the car three cars back plowing into the line?

Debris flying or the sound of screeching tires or the cars behind getting smashed. If I stopped his conditions I would have been on high alert. He didn't appear to be. Very good chance he could have avoided being rear-ended.

Last edited:
Debris flying or the sound of screeching tires or the cars behind getting smashed. If I stopped his conditions I would have been on high alert. He didn't appear to be. Very good chance he could have avoided being rear-ended.

There's literally a second between the first sound of an issue behind him and the moment he goes flying.

The rider had good following distance to the car in front of him, and even checked his mirror while braking to make sure the guy behind him was slowing down. They didn't even have to brake especially hard.

My radar always goes off when someone slows in an unexpected spot, but even as an armchair quarterback I'm not sure I would have done anything different in his situation. He could have dived to the right instead of braking, but aside from the location of the stop right after the intersection, there wasn't really anything up to that point which would have indicated an impending problem. Once stopped, there's zero chance of him being able react in time just from hearing the squealing behind him.

I'll dock him a few points for the Twisted Sister, though.

Funny how I'm the arm chair quarter back yet those with different views dissecting all the evidence from a video are just as much know it alls. From my view it could have been avoided with more experience. Apologies if i don't share the same views as the majority here. Let's get over it and move along.

High alert is no way to live.

illK6U.gif

Back
Top Bottom