How much would it cost me to raise the bike to stock height ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How much would it cost me to raise the bike to stock height ?

Make, model, year please. It makes a difference.

Ask the current owner if they kept the stock parts for the rear suspension. No? Have a look underneath. Frequently those aftermarket "dogbone links" have multiple holes, one of which will correspond to stock length. Sometimes the aftermarket parts have threaded adjusters that are dead simple to deal with. So far, potentially free. No dogbones in the suspension linkage? The shock may have been modified internally ... then it could start getting expensive.

Find out if the forks are stock but simply slid up in the triple clamps, or if they have been modified internally to shorten them. First one, free. Second one, expensive.

Is this the dogbone link ? I can see that I can raise the bike and get it adjusted on the lower hole to raise the bike. Is this all I need to do ? How much dollers am i looking to spend here. Do you think this is gonna make much of a difference on the bike height?

You are in luck. It is adjustable-length (3 holes and it's in the middle one).

Hold your bike upright and measure the height from the ground to a convenient reference point (so that you will be able to see how much change it makes).

Find a way to support the rear of the bike off the ground without carrying the load on the suspension (a normal paddock stand will not work). In my shop I do it by hanging the back of the bike from tie-down straps. Sometimes you can do it with a block of wood under the side-stand and a jack of some sort under the other side.

Loosen the nut, push the bolt out, move the rear wheel so that the next hole lines up, insert bolt, tighten nut.

Then re-do your ride height measurement and subtract the original measurement from this one. That's the amount of difference you made.

As a first-guess, you should push the forks down through the triple clamps by this same difference so that you make (roughly) the same difference front and rear. Don't overshoot stock ride height (generally, the top of the fork should not be recessed below the top of the handlebar / triple clamp).

Raise the front of the bike using a steering stem stand (so that the weight is off the front suspension).

Undo the triple clamp bolts for one side, push the fork down in the triple clamps to your desired position, re-tighten the clamp bolts. It may be necessary to release the handlebar clamps and reposition them. Then do the same for the other side.

Total cost: $0.

By the way, this will make a pretty big difference to the ride height. Depending on make/model there is probably a mechanical advantage of about 4 from the dogbones to the rear wheel. It's possible that it won't be exactly stock ride height but it will be a whole lot closer than it is now (and probably close enough, unless you are building a race bike).

Be alert for the possibility that the side-stand has been shortened. If it has, that's the only thing you will have to spend money on.

Thank you so much, Im kind of new at these things since im a new rider. How much would you charge me to do this at your shopp ? Can you also provide me your contact info ? Thank you !

I will bike the bike to your shop when the season starts.

Brian doesn't have a shop, he just dispenses awesome advice (and wrenches on his own bikes).

If you want affordable repairs, frekeyguy is in brampton and kneedragger88 is near port hope (he can pick up/drop off bikes too), I have never heard anyone complain about either of them.

Thank you so much, Im kind of new at these things since im a new rider. How much would you charge me to do this at your shopp ? Can you also provide me your contact info ? Thank you !
In addition to the other two people suggested, and although I don't usually get him to make suspension adjustments, Ted could return your bike to stock ride height easily and cheaply too. He offers ride in/ride out service: http://dontai.com/oldsite/roseytoes/

Is the front also lowered? IE the fork tubes might be sticking up above the triple tree...

If so, you need to have that adjusted as well. You CAN do it by yourself but it can be a frustrating job.

Back
Top Bottom