Potential new rider from Peel Region | GTAMotorcycle.com

Potential new rider from Peel Region

gif

Hi guys,

I have been in car scene for a long time, I go to auto shows every year, but this year was different. I got truly inspired by bikes, when I saw CBR's in Honda booth :D

So, after the show I brought this idea to my wife that I am thinking of getting M license and she flat out said no lol. But after I passed on some educational information to her, she agreed and moreover will be paying for my training course :cool:

Hope to meet many new people through this as I did in the car scene. I am just looking for laid back local cruising and just to enjoy the experience.

Now for the million dollar question, starter bike :) well I am pretty set on 300cc bike and master the techniques ;)

Cheers!

Welcome. There's no one set answer as to what makes a good starter bike. Some folks may have extensive motocross or trail riding experience and have the mechanics of the motorcycle craft down pat and need to take an MSF course to polish existing skills, to remove old bad habits, to learn the rules of the road, best practices for hazard avoidance and mitigation and so on. For them, a larger, more powerful bike might be a natural fit.

Others may never have touched a motorcycle in real life. They may be surprised at how imposing an inherently unstable 400+ pound vehicle might feel when they're used to bicycles weighing 20-lbs. They may be frightened of acceleration and braking forces and petrified of leaning. There's no shame in that; motorcycling is not for everyone. For folks such as these a CBR300 might be a good place to start.

Then there are guys somewhere in the middle. They've got lots of experience with things mechanical and although they've never been on a bike, they pick it up very quickly and basic skills comes naturally. Someone here might be well suited by, say, a CBR500. Twice the power of a 250, (somewhat less than) half the power of a 600, reasonably light (425-lbs), reasonably quick and capable on the highway etc. But not overwhelming.

You physical stature matters too: if you're 250-lbs that almost automatically moves your choice away from the 250cc machines...

Take the course. See how you do and feel on a bike. 250-300cc machines are typical "beginner" bikes but who knows, maybe you can start on something larger.

Welcome! Check some of the threads here, you still may be able to snag a pre season rider course discount. 300 sounds like a good idea to start. At any rate, stay below the 600-750's to keep insurance reasonable. The $ differences between insuring a 500 & 300 may make the decision for you.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

welcome aboard!

you will find the motorcycle scene much, much more pleasant than the car scene
i personally like cars (love bikes though ;) ) and ive had numerous nice cars, and it always seemed to be a penis size competition, who had the rarest wheels, who had the nicest lip kit, who had a bigger turbo, brand name this, brand name that... annoying and very non-enthusiastic
the bike world is much different, you will find everyone alot more friendlier and genuinely happier to see you on the road riding :)

so dig in the awesome forums of GTAM and dont be shy to ask questions, and dont forget to use the search function too!

Hi guys,

I have been in car scene for a long time, I go to auto shows every year, but this year was different. I got truly inspired by bikes, when I saw CBR's in Honda booth :D

So, after the show I brought this idea to my wife that I am thinking of getting M license and she flat out said no lol. But after I passed on some educational information to her, she agreed and moreover will be paying for my training course :cool:

Hope to meet many new people through this as I did in the car scene. I am just looking for laid back local cruising and just to enjoy the experience.

Now for the million dollar question, starter bike :) well I am pretty set on 300cc bike and master the techniques ;)

Cheers!
She agreed and paying for it... something is fishy.... is their a way to see if someone has taken a LARGE $$$ insurance policy on you?

Welcome bud... just be mindfull of cagers... best of luck to ya

Thanks guys and thanks for all the advice. Cant wait to start :)
Hope to see some mature riders out in summer in peel area, hope there are meets or gathering.

Welcome to the forum. As stated above there are all kinds of variables that help figure out what a good platform to start with is. Lots of info on the forum so make sure to read a bunch. Also if peel is your area brampton powersports is a great dealer to look at. Ask for Ian. He's a nice guy and won't try to push you on something you shouldn't really be riding.

Edit: insurance may have a big part in your choice as well. Call around for sure if you decide on a certain bike and see

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. As stated above there are all kinds of variables that help figure out what a good platform to start with is. Lots of info on the forum so make sure to read a bunch. Also if peel is your area brampton powersports is a great dealer to look at. Ask for Ian. He's a nice guy and won't try to push you on something you shouldn't really be riding.

Edit: insurance may have a big part in your choice as well. Call around for sure if you decide on a certain bike and see

Thanks Ronnie, I am from Brampton area, and will defintly check out brampton powersports.

Cheers!

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update!

So I just passed M1 on friday. Went to Steels and Kennedy location in Brampton and what an experience, 5+ hours there. I could go on forever about their whole system there (or lack there of), but its all been done with.

Already in a process of registering for a MTOHP course for this summer. Onto the M2 :)

Congrats, and good luck! I held off buying my first bike until after I had take my M2 Entry course with RTI, and I'm glad I did. You get to try several different styles of bike. Before the course I was deadset on a standard or a cruiser, and after the course I knew I had to have a sport/sport touring bike.

I live in Caledon and have a couple Ninja 500's that aren't pretty, but I'll be getting them in shape to sell dirt cheap, around a grand each. Loved the 500 as the bike I started on, but I wanted something more suited to the long touring rides I gravitated towards. Even if you're not interested in buying them and just want to come out and try sitting on them, and I can point out the things I missed when buying my first bike so you know what to avoid, feel free to pm me.

Back
Top Bottom