Make up your Wills, Power Of Attorney (money and medical) and for goodness sakes... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Make up your Wills, Power Of Attorney (money and medical) and for goodness sakes...

Gah... Unfortunately my Father-In-Law passed away and we found out today. We got into his apartment today and went to work trying to find any documents we could find. Right under his coffee table was a book on making your own Will but... Gah! No Will! Going back tomorrow to start the clean up and see if we can have anymore success finding a Will.
condolences to you and your family.

Better call Sophie Hills (at Elliott and Hills) if you're in Durham and need a good lawyer for wills and estates.I heard she just bought a Triumph Bonneville.Sorry for the shameless plug.

Last edited:
Better call Sophie Hills (at Elliott and Hills) if you're in Durham and need a good lawyer for wills and estates.I heard she just bought a Triumph Bonneville.Sorry for the shameless plug.

Hey... No problems with the plug. If she is a rider and has a Triumph... Well that is all I need to know. :D

We have contacted our lawyer who made our wills and are going to see if he can help us with the Probate process etc. We used a different lawyer for my Mother-In-Law but he was OLD... and pretty much retired. He did the Probate for us because he was her lawyer and was upset and sad that she has passed so suddenly.

Bumping up this thread...
Was in the local WalMart and saw a place called axxess (iirc). $99 wills, poa, and other legal services. Anyone know anything about this? Lawyers? Paralegals? Waste of money?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

Get your stuff in order .For the $200 cost of a lawyer . It will save your loved ones a ton of hurt .

Get your stuff in order .For the $200 cost of a lawyer . It will save your loved ones a ton of hurt .

OK if your head is screwed on straight but don't expect a lawyer to help you rule from the grave, fix your kids problems, create trust within a family at war with itself, etc.

OK if your head is screwed on straight but don't expect a lawyer to help you rule from the grave, fix your kids problems, create trust within a family at war with itself, etc.
Luckily, there isn't much over here for anyone to fight over?
My kids are still small, my wife brought it up and it is a good idea. We will be going to our lawyer, I just thought it strange to see that place in the WalMart.

If you have kids, especially little kids GET IT DONE. Otherwise child services, the family you don't trust, and lawyers get into the show.

Its shocking how little need be involved to get the family parasites out of the woodwork.

Power of attorney may be as important as the will, since without it while your hanging out in hospital or whatever, nothing gets done. Power of attorney can be done online (download the form) and its free. My will was $500, (out of country real estate) but that's only 1.5hrs of lawyer time.

you're never too young for a will. IMO, every person who turns 18 should have a voucher for a relatively basic free will.

a family friend is a lawyer, he gave my wife and i wills/poa's/etc. as a wedding gift. it was an awesome idea, and we really appreciated it. althouth a third toaster oven could really come in handy sometimes.

I wonder if this will is legal or enforceable. Take all the money I have when I die and invite really need and poor charities to an event. Take all the money in front of them and burn it.

My father suddenly passed away 2 weeks ago.

He had no will.

My mother is in a retirement home and is unable to file to get ownership of his solely owned estate assets so i am now working through the process in the courts to gain appointment as executor.
I also had to get her to sign over power of attorney for property, and decline her right of primary ownership in order to start applying for my dads estate.

Trust me when I say that IT IS A NIGHTMARE...

My GF and I will be creating our wills soon to avoid this should something god forbid happen to either of us, and we are both only 36yrs old.

My advice to everyone here is to save you family and loved ones a lot of grief and trouble after you're gone and get a will in place now with a named executor and inheritances listed. Ensure you list vehicles to be inherited too!

Last edited:
@miggs my condolences on your father's passing

My condolences to you Miggs...

What a crapshow! Took some doing for us to get access and ownership to my father-in-law's old 2001 MonteCarlo. Just to be able to move it, get it to a garage etc. Had to have our lawyer make up a special letter etc to give to the M.T.O. I will never know what happened to my Father-In-Law's clothing, cell phone, keys, wallet etc at the hospital. Without a will, wallet, and keys it sure was fun getting access (physically and legally) to his apartment and car.

The poster who mentioned the will and P.O.A. as a wedding gift is spot on. What a great idea! These things sound morbid but none of us are getting out of here alive and the least we can do is try to protect our loved ones for the inevitable time that we pass on.

I wonder if this will is legal or enforceable. Take all the money I have when I die and invite really need and poor charities to an event. Take all the money in front of them and burn it.

Wow, well..... if you believe at all in karma you will be coming back as an ugly Thai ladyboy with an unquenchable thirst for man goo. enjoy.

Wow, well..... if you believe at all in karma you will be coming back as an ugly Thai ladyboy with an unquenchable thirst for man goo. enjoy.
Lmfao ?

Bumping this thread. Any recommendations of who to see in the Vaughan or close by area? And rough ideas on pricing for husband and wife wills + POA? Called a guy that was recommended, and he's charging a gnote. Does that sound right?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

A grand sounds a bit spendy unless its a pretty complicated package with lots of layers on the onion. Mine ( a rewrite) was done two years ago and we paid $395.00 for a couple, POA you can download off the Gov't website and fill out at home for free.

Mine is pretty simple in that it goes equal split to two kids, they are both listed as executors.

Also make it easy for your executors, have a box (and tell them where the hell it is) with your will, deeds, account numbers, RRSP,LIRA, and whatever various wacky stuff you have title to, in one place, with relevant contact info.

Sending your kids on a scavenger hunt really blows.

Back
Top Bottom