Importation - US/Canada | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importation - US/Canada

Boats are either licensed (the numbers on the bow) or federally registered , a chosen name and name of declared home port painted on stern. They are different than a car or motorbike as they have two different systems to register. And once you start with license registeration or numbers thats the system your supposed to stay with. Its a bit of an odd duck as there is no blue book for boat value for customs to check and boat value can go from $500 to 1million+. And when you drive a boat across the lake and tie it up, you have to report your here, then do the paperwork.

With the lack of papertrails on thousands of boats , revenue Canada is probably short millions of tax dollars. There are hundreds sold every summer and never re registered.

I purchased a Canam spyder in the US. It is currently plated, registered and insured with US plates.

I am looking to sell it, however the bike is in Canada. Is it possible to sell it here despite it already being within Canada? I'm not sure how motorcycles work (or a trike in this case..), but I didn't have to do anything special when I sold my boat here.

There isn't a lein on the bike and I have the title in hand. I just need to know if there are any stipulations or procedures that I need to follow in order to sell it here while already being on Canadian soil.

Boats are registered federally while motor vehicles are provincial so different rules apply.

Also, was the Spyder properly exported out of the USA? If not the new owner could end up with problems if he either tried selling the bike back into the USA or had a crash while touring and a observant LEO did a s/n search. i.e. Why does this US registered bike have a Canadian plate?

it does not have Canadian plates

it does not have Canadian plates

Not now, but a hypothetical scenario where the current owner manages to successfully sell it to a Canadian

Back
Top Bottom