Importation - US/Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Importation - US/Canada

Infamouz

I purchased a Canam spyder in the US. It is currently plated, registered and insured with US plates.

I am looking to sell it, however the bike is in Canada. Is it possible to sell it here despite it already being within Canada? I'm not sure how motorcycles work (or a trike in this case..), but I didn't have to do anything special when I sold my boat here.

There isn't a lein on the bike and I have the title in hand. I just need to know if there are any stipulations or procedures that I need to follow in order to sell it here while already being on Canadian soil.

Nope, have to start the process at the border

Assuming you have the ownership, receipt of purchase etc.

I would recommend getting the ownership transferred to Ontario to make the sale easier. I'm sure it would discourage or make some propsects nervous if you don't have it done..

Everything you need to do is contained in this thread.

A purchased a bike under similar circumstances. However, they had all the paperwork in order and I just had to follow through on the administration elements. It was quite easy. Bike had plates from AZ, recall notice, receipt of purchase, RIV docs etc.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Motor-Vehicle-To-Canada-(the-be-all-end-all)

I'd contact RIV to explain your situation, how long you've had the bike in Canada, why you have decided to import the bike now, to sell etc.

Last edited:
So I have to bring the bike back to the US prior to doing anything?

Edit; Thanks Nakkers, I will start reading through.

A purchased a bike under similar circumstances. However, they had all the paperwork in order and I just had to follow through on the administration elements. It was quite easy. Bike had plates from AZ, recall notice, receipt of purchase, RIV docs etc.

If you got RIV paperwork with the bike, then somebody else had already started the importation process... at the border

Ok so I'm curious... a bike and boat are both considered recreational vehicles, are they not?

When I sold the boat, I brought it up here, still US plated. The guy who bought it went downtown Toronto and transferred the ownership there and paid import fees there as well.

What makes the bike different? And whats with all this recall letter/notice talk? I didn't do any of this for the boat.... why would one need it, but not the other if that's the case?

Don't know about boats. I suppose it's considered a watercraft while a motorcycle is a vehicle.

RIV is the place to go to get things started.

I think the challenge for you maybe getting the paperwork completed by the customs?

I'm sure your not the only person that bought a vehicle, drove it across the boarder and decided to keep it or sell it up here after the fact.

Unfortunately, RIV doesn't care if you imported a boat and sold it and didn't have to go through a hassle like a bike. You can't assume a boat is processed the same a car.

And the reality is, it's either your problem to straighten out of find a buyer willing to go through the head aches to do it themselves.

Pretty sure as long as duties get paid and and taxes and the vehicle meets all the criteria, you should be able to get it done.

Good luck!

If you got RIV paperwork with the bike, then somebody else had already started the importation process... at the border

Yes. Your right. Duty was paid and got an extension on when the inspection needed completion to cover off the winter. All done by the seller. I just had to take care of the inspection, and bring all the paperwork to service ontario and they took care of it for me.

Ok so I'm curious... a bike and boat are both considered recreational vehicles, are they not?

When I sold the boat, I brought it up here, still US plated. The guy who bought it went downtown Toronto and transferred the ownership there and paid import fees there as well.

What makes the bike different? And whats with all this recall letter/notice talk? I didn't do any of this for the boat.... why would one need it, but not the other if that's the case?

Read the Importing thread. All the info you need is in there.

Just a word of advice. When talking to RIV and customs...don't tell them who you are or give serial numbers etc. of the vehicle. Just ask 'hypothetical' questions to get the answers. Telling them the exact details and serial numbers could end up with you scraping the vehicle. These RIV people are NOT your friends and you should be wary in what you tell them.

Let me reiterate.....

I'm a dual citizen. I purchased the bike in the US for myself and had the intent of riding it in Canada during the summer. I've decided not to, and to make life easier, I wanted to sell it here in Canada since it's here with me.

I am not a Canadian importing a bike from the US.

I guess you could sell it with a bill of sale. Would be a hassle for whoever bought it though

Why would it be a hassle ?

Cause they'd have to transport it (not ride it, as it's not registerable or insurable at this point) down to the border to start the RIV importation, then haul it somewhere for the RIV inspection, etc

Cause they'd have to transport it (not ride it, as it's not registerable or insurable at this point) down to the border to start the RIV importation, then haul it somewhere for the RIV inspection, etc

ohhh, I thought it was going to be more complicated than that, rent a trailer from U-Haul and away you go....

For a prospective buyer, it's a lot more hassle than buying one that's already here and doesn't need to be imported ...

Boats are registered federally while motor vehicles are provincial so different rules apply.

Also, was the Spyder properly exported out of the USA? If not the new owner could end up with problems if he either tried selling the bike back into the USA or had a crash while touring and a observant LEO did a s/n search. i.e. Why does this US registered bike have a Canadian plate?

Back
Top Bottom