Getting bike ready for Spring! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting bike ready for Spring!

Schneller

Site Supporter
Finally a warmer day! Without freezing my fingers off, I was able to go out to my unheated detached garage and take off the wheels, because the bike needs new rubber for the upcoming season.

question: does the shop need the rear axel? I want them to straighten out the wheel (spokes) as well as instal new rubber.

So, have you guys done any prep work yet?

opened the storage door for the first time since november ....still half covered in snow...Bike's already looking dirty! Will need to wash it come spring, get new fairings, flush out air from brake lines, lotsa things to do before 10 degree C weather hits JULY! :mad:

Most I've done is keep an eye on the battery tender, check the tire pressure and roll the wheels forward a bit. Then I throw the cover back on so I'm not reminded that the first ride is still maybe a month away!

So, have you guys done any prep work yet?

Just waiting for a warmer day to trailer one bike in for valve shims. Will give it to the tech sans gas tank and seat. That took a minute and a half. Also picked up a Wolfman tail pack at Dualsport Plus today. The Pelican top case was to fugly to pose with on a day to day basis. Will remount the Pelican only for travel purposes. It's an awesome platform to carry a duffle bag. I'm in the process of rejigging oil tank location on another bike because first attempt doesn't pose well either. But that's more of a project. Anyway, thanks for listening. I find bike talk cathartic.

Talk to the wheel guy, maybe you could do some prep like soaking the spoke nipples?

Just waiting for a warmer day to trailer one bike in for valve shims. Will give it to the tech sans gas tank and seat. That took a minute and a half. Also picked up a Wolfman tail pack at Dualsport Plus today. The Pelican top case was to fugly to pose with on a day to day basis. Will remount the Pelican only for travel purposes. It's an awesome platform to carry a duffle bag. I'm in the process of rejigging oil tank location on another bike because first attempt doesn't pose well either. But that's more of a project. Anyway, thanks for listening. I find bike talk cathartic.

Talk to the wheel guy, maybe you could do some prep like soaking the spoke nipples?

What bike do you own?

I own a fleet of garbage, nothing to get excited about. Thanks.

Your garbage is all a treasure if it's on two wheels. For all my poking of Harley I love ALL motorcycles. Including older UJM.

Your garbage is all a treasure if it's on two wheels. For all my poking of Harley I love ALL motorcycles. Including older UJM.

My older UJM thanks you.

Even with the temp around 0 today, the rubber is too stiff to get the tire off the rim.

I bought LED lights to match the LED lights I bought early to go with the topcase I bought.

Just waiting for a warmer day to trailer one bike in for valve shims.

You, of all people, can do this yourself. The shimming part I mean, not the trailering.

You, of all people, can do this yourself. The shimming part I mean, not the trailering.

I haven't owned a bike with shims since 1989. The biggest PIA would be not having the needed shims on hand.........I'm guessing I'd need to hassle the dealer to swap shims or does one buy them outright? Maybe I should google the process.

I haven't owned a bike with shims since 1989. The biggest PIA would be not having the needed shims on hand.........I'm guessing I'd need to hassle the dealer to swap shims or does one buy them outright? Maybe I should google the process.

Most dealers will help you out with an exhange. I'm yet to have to buy a shim.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Reading bookmarked.

If winterized properly there should really be no work required in the spring.

Install battery, check pressure in tires, give a longer than normal warm up, ride off into the sunshine.

And ya, changing tires in these temps is a no-go. I wouldn't even bother trying.

I looked at it buried under a cover and a foot of snow out back. I did nothing to winterize. Might need a boost come spring time.

Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours out in the garage - installed new heated grips and a gps-mount. Checked out my new ramps and wheel chock.

Leaving Thursday 4am! Truck to Greensboro NC, then ride to Jacksonville FL, Miami (pick up wife from airport), then to Marathon FL.

Last edited:
Same :( I did nothing but put a cover on it..not good.. hopefully she's ok in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed for an awesome early spring)

Went for a 1.5 hr ride yesterday, normally I wouldn't bother but couldn't help it with a new bike in my garage.

Come on spring

Back
Top Bottom