Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Off road/trail - Honda XR650

• Off road/trail - Kawasaki KLR650

• Off road/trail - Suzuki DR650

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
The CCM is pretty cool, but it doesn't seem to fit with the theme of "cheap and basic" that I inferred from the original three bikes. Plus, we are in the cruising / touring section rather than the dual sport / dirt / supermoto section of the forum, so I'm assuming the OP is looking for something more on the road side of the equation.

It seems like the CCM compares more with the DRZ400 than the 650s. Wet weight on the DRZ is a claimed 320, dry weight on the CCM is 290, so they're getting pretty close. 5 or 10 more horsepower on the CCM. Someone should tell Suzuki to update the DRz one of these days, because I'm looking for excuses to buy a bike like this.

Yup more quite a bit more expensive but also a far newer design the others are 20 yrs old. Suspension and power are in different worlds not a budget bike but a good bike.

sent from a device using a program

Yup.
Buy a bmw 650, buy bars,electronically adjustable Ohlins, Brembo brakes, braided lines, Cycra handguards, S&W Mototech rack and skidplate, and call me if you can get in under $12,000 for your 500 lb bike.

For ADV bikes, you only need "enough" power. Nobody ever rode across Siberia and said " Man, I should have brought a 120 hp bike!".....but lots of them said " Man, I should have brought a 280 lb bike!"

But ... but ... Gotta get that fancy $20,000 R1200GS outfitted with all the extra luggage and crash bars and lever guards so that I can say "Hey, I do ADV rides!"

(good luck getting that bike out of a mud hole ...)

People just should watch Long way round .... Enough argument. The poor guys were trying to say something every time they went down, but they simply contractually could not .... LOL

It seems like the CCM compares more with the DRZ400 than the 650s. Wet weight on the DRZ is a claimed 320, dry weight on the CCM is 290, so they're getting pretty close. 5 or 10 more horsepower on the CCM. Someone should tell Suzuki to update the DRz one of these days, because I'm looking for excuses to buy a bike like this.

Why? Suzuki profit margin must be pretty healthy, considering the tooling has been paid for ages ago, and there's still not a threat on the market they have to worry about .... Pretty simple decision if you ask me.

A sixth gear, FI and a counterbalancer would be nice, just to make the higher price of the DRZ400SM a bit more attractive for anyone looking at the newer 300/400cc singles like the Duke 390 and CB300F for city bike duties. That's probably a bit off topic for this thread though - I agree that the DRZ400S doesn't need much of anything for its niche in the dual sport role.

Funny, I was thinking about adding a used one of these to the rotation. That was until I tried to sit on them and couldn't get my short little fat legs over and sit comfortably on one. Oh well ,maybe i'll have to wait until there are some used ducati scramblers in a few years.

Why? You getting a sex change operation?

A sixth gear, FI and a counterbalancer would be nice, just to make the higher price of the DRZ400SM a bit more attractive for anyone looking at the newer 300/400cc singles like the Duke 390 and CB300F for city bike duties. That's probably a bit off topic for this thread though - I agree that the DRZ400S doesn't need much of anything for its niche in the dual sport role.

Not disputing that the bike would not deserve 6th gea r and FI, but they will have to spend more probably to make the same margin ....

When there's a 6k Duke in SM or off-road version, Suzuki might give it a look, until then .... 5 gears, carb and fully adjustable suspension on both ends will do.

KTM needs to make a 390 ADV, with pricing in line with it's current 390 platforms!
ktm390-adventure-fb-page-262x192.jpg

You forgot the KTM 690 enduro the only real choice in this class

Did not forget. It's about $4,000 more expensive which puts it in a class of its own. Don't see that many around here and almost none for sale used
I'm sure it's a great bike, however, and would love to have one.
Nevertheless, the three bikes I listed are about 500 bucks apart and $4,000 buys a lot of mods for them.

once again - no mods out there who could fix the poll (to allow multiple answers)? Too late to delete the thread with so many replies.

Last edited:
Is there any significant disadvantage to a 21" front wheel for street use? I'm thinking mostly about feedback/feel under hard braking, although I'm guessing that has more to do with the tire and suspension. I'm not sure if slower steering at highway speeds due to the additional gyroscopic effect of a larger wheel is significant enough to be noticeable.

To put it another way, is it a waste of money to stick a 19" front wheel on a DR for inherently better street qualities (if any) and/or does going to a 19" provide a significant advantage in tire choices?

These questions assume something north of 95% street use with the most street oriented tires available - I've got a dirt bike for real offroading. I've got Trakmasters on the dirt bike (blue plated) but it is hard to separate the effect of the knobbies from the effect of the 21" wheel. I'm assuming that the knobbies have a way bigger effect on the squirmy feeling of the bike than the wheel size. For reference, my VStrom has a 19" front wheel which seems fine on the road, although more feeling from the front end would be nice.

KLR is the only real streetable ( can tour ) bike of the lot and it's not up the Honda or the Suzuki for single track.

Not sure where you are going with the questions..

You have a good mix....are you trying to get a single bike to do all.....??? ain't gonna happen.

I'm not riding the VStrom much these days and I'm considering downsizing to get something lighter for commuting and quick runs around town. It is largely just idle winter thoughts, but something upright, cheap, reliable and under 400lbs would be nice. Lots of beginner bikes fit this bill, but I'd prefer something with relatively decent suspension on it.

I'd either keep the VStrom for touring, or sell it and do fly-and-rent tours in farther flung places.

you can set up the dr to tour as well as the klr
you would need to spend a lot more to set the klr up to offroad as well as the dr
i am not sure whats available for the xr for touring

You might work the DR for local commutes if you can stand the seat. It's very light. I notice there is a Sargent seat for it, Was a big jump in comfort on the KLR

KLR is in between the DR and Wee in weight.

Depends a lot on your off pavement goals

Last edited:
DR650%2B004.jpg

DR650%2B005.jpg

local commutes? here's one of my previous dr's with a russell daylong and full parabellum screen. was fine for 700km days in the saddle. 10 minutes of unbolting and you can find yourself doing this

1962498_882349991798143_5403220064690312552_o.jpg

and getting stuck in this
DSCF0024.JPG

Is there any significant disadvantage to a 21" front wheel for street use? I'm thinking mostly about feedback/feel under hard braking, although I'm guessing that has more to do with the tire and suspension. I'm not sure if slower steering at highway speeds due to the additional gyroscopic effect of a larger wheel is significant enough to be noticeable.

To put it another way, is it a waste of money to stick a 19" front wheel on a DR for inherently better street qualities (if any) and/or does going to a 19" provide a significant advantage in tire choices?

I wouldn't say there's a significant disadvantage to 21" front wheel but a 19" does feel better. I'm running 120/80/18 front,130/80/17 rear and 110/80/19 front, 150/70/17 rear on 2 DR650s. Both bikes lowered. I would do it again, no regrets. Fun rides.

Which tires do you guys use for more touring oriented riding on these bikes? As in 80-20 ratio or similar (road/off-road).

Can something like Michelin Anakee do trails at all or would need something more knobby?
My concern is not wanting to change the rear tire every 2-3,000km.

If I'm riding 70% pavement, 25% gravel and 5% trails hypothetically, would downsizing the front rim be still advisable?

The big wheel really helps in tracks with deep gutters and any logs around. The KLR does very well handling obstacles for such a big clunk with not a lot of clearance - surprises me.
I have Dunlop 606s on and the best feature is the front wheel goes where you point it unlike the more street oriented tires.

I have not done any substantial off pavement on the Wee but it's rock stable on dirt and gravel with the Heidenau.
I suspect they would be fine on light single track and way less noisy on the pavement and they go a long way. I do NOT ever intend on taking the wee on single track or rough dual track.

Heidenau

29cc3a31-5e45-4212-838a-63f4221ecde9.jpg

much more agressive 606

image1.jpg

One reason I got them... front wheel would not climb out of rather mild rain gutter that ran off into a 20' drop loaded with boulders....
Had to really haul the front end up - pure adrenalin....
Now it tracks up the side of quite deep gutters - lends a lot of confidence as I'm way out of practice at anything rough and the tires and the big front wheel have made up for marginal riding technique.

For your mix the Heidenau tho might be real winners.

The Honda and the Suzuki are serious single track tho ...very different machines. Most of the guys here run 606s or equivalent...typical ride to an off road area is maybe 100 km of slab and they will cruise in the gravel at 100 kph to save the knobbies.

I'm pretty impressive this year how stable the 606s are riding 80-110 kph on pavement. Handles the twists and roundabouts very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom