• Off road/trail - Kawasaki KLR650

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Off road/trail - Suzuki DR650

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Wanted to compare the 3 most popular 650cc thumpers.
All are roughly in the same price bracket with similar power delivery and size.
None of them excel on or off road but they all offer a decent compromise.

My question is - which do you prefer, in stock form, with suitable tires, over the other for various types of roads.

-----

Messed up the poll, forgot to allow for multiple answer. Can a mod fix this this? If not, delete the thread please and I'll repost later. Thanks!

Last edited:
DR650. If I owned one that would be a biased opinion. I own two. /End thread.

KLR is supposed to be the best street bike, the XR is supposed to be the best offroad, and the DR is supposed to be in the middle.

I have no actual experience with any of them. I'm just posting because I secretly want a DR, but I feel ashamed about it for some reason. I hear confession is good for you.

Man you're on so many polls, it's alarming.

I'm not complaining, it's focusing people's attention away from other threads where people are just losing their minds

This thread still going?

one klr 1st gen, one xr, currently have my fourth dr
cheapest, cheapest to fix and potential to excel in either off or on road in the 650 class for the least amount of money (cheapest)

read the authors criteria
your choice is invalid
have a nice day

Ya, get with it. The criteria is 3 most popular, not 3 most popular plus 1 oddball.

I just noticed the WR250 is missing. This is BOGUS!!

Pfft. What happens to be my current dreambike, the CCM 450 GP kills em all. It's perfect right out of the box......45 hp...and weighs almost 50 lbs less than a Ninja 250!

423061_5842_big_ccm1.jpg

BMW in wolfs clothes. 450, not valid entry.

edit, that's better:p

Last edited:
Actually, in the CCM it's a BMW motocross drivetrain, detuned for longevity.........and beinf that it is 200 lbs less than a KLR, it would run circles around every 650 ADV you'd wanna name. Comes with sophisticated suspension, brakes, skidplate, nice bars, handguards etc, so no need to farkle the crap out of it. Lash ont he luggage and go.

It does appear to cost $12k, though. Plus, the Canadian distributor's website isn't working anymore?

Edit: the distributor site seems to be working now

Last edited:
Yup.
Buy a bmw 650, buy bars,electronically adjustable Ohlins, Brembo brakes, braided lines, Cycra handguards, S&W Mototech rack and skidplate, and call me if you can get in under $12,000 for your 500 lb bike.

For ADV bikes, you only need "enough" power. Nobody ever rode across Siberia and said " Man, I should have brought a 120 hp bike!".....but lots of them said " Man, I should have brought a 280 lb bike!"

Actually, in the CCM it's a BMW motocross drivetrain

And so it says post #7 in The Eagle Has Landed @ Advrider. I blew thru that back when because I knew I'd never buy one. Teach me for assuming.

Yup.
Buy a bmw 650, buy bars,electronically adjustable Ohlins, Brembo brakes, braided lines, Cycra handguards, S&W Mototech rack and skidplate, and call me if you can get in under $12,000 for your 500 lb bike.

For ADV bikes, you only need "enough" power. Nobody ever rode across Siberia and said " Man, I should have brought a 120 hp bike!".....but lots of them said " Man, I should have brought a 280 lb bike!"

Like button please.

You forgot the KTM 690 enduro the only real choice in this class

I'll be the guy to ask. How does it compare price wise? Not sure I'd want to ride a big single but after checking out different things at the show my interest is somewhat peaked. My only negative I'd say of ktm is they seem expensive in comparison to most of their competition.

Back
Top Bottom