Fully faired middleweight sport-tourers - the exotic class? Which is best? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fully faired middleweight sport-tourers - the exotic class? Which is best?

Which is best in your eyes?

• BMW F800GT

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Honda VFR800

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Triumph Sprint GT

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Why would anyone consider Ninja 1000 middle-weight??? Then you should consider R1200RS ....

Anyway, one of the two, for me. But I wouldn't call them middle-weight, only because there's larger boats with air-bags available....

I'm not really seeing where that comes from.

Tupperware is a pain to pull off and put back on when you need repairs,
it's also expensive to repair/replace when you go down.

That being said, you might want to look at the Kawasaki Versys,
as it tends to be a bit sportier than tourers like the Weestrom.

Not talking about dropping and repairing. Talking about wind and rain protection.
When I start an "ease of repair" poll, you can be sure there won't be any faired bikes on it. ... This is not it though.

Why would anyone consider Ninja 1000 middle-weight??? Then you should consider R1200RS ....

Anyway, one of the two, for me. But I wouldn't call them middle-weight, only because there's larger boats with air-bags available....

4 bikes I listed are quite often compared to one another. Including R1200RS is not a sin but usually it is grouped with larger displacement, pricier sport tourers, although size wise it's more similar to bikes I posted, true.
I went with what most magazines go with and nowadays, in N.A., 800-1000cc is generally called middleweight, considering there are much larger touring motorcycles like FJR or Trophy.

Last edited:
I had that exact F800 GT in the pics. I simply traded up to the k1600gtl. Loved that bike. If you compare it to the redesigned 1200rt they're very similar in size now. Very good fuel mileage,good protection from the tupperware, more that enough storage with those bags, and a real rocket if you want it to be. Never rode 2 up on it but a lot do. I will eventually trade back to one of those when I need a smaller, lighter machine. The one thing I will note is that you do not sit as upright as you might think,but then, I've got the carpal tunnel surgery done so that wouldn't bother me now. You should demo one if you can.

4 bikes I listed are quite often compared to one another. Including R1200RS is not a sin but usually it is grouped with larger displacement, pricier sport tourers, although size wise it's more similar to bikes I posted, true.
I went with what most magazines go with and nowadays, in N.A., 800-1000cc is generally called middleweight, considering there are much larger touring motorcycles like FJR or Trophy.

I hear you about the magazines .... But the Ninja is almost twice the power and a lot heavier than F800 .... Seems like day and night as far as same category.

Back
Top Bottom