• Sikhism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Judaism

• Other religion

• Non religious - spiritual (theist, believe in a deity or deities)

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Non religious - agnostic (uncertain if god exists)

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Non religious - atheist

Votes: 32 39.5%

• Total voters
Yup, I'll go with this.

It kind of boggles my mind when I read/hear about people who think non-religious or atheist people are savage barbarians. In their mind the only thing keeping someone's moral compass pointed in the right direction is the promise of an afterlife reward. As if an atheist could at any time murder, pillage and rape simply because they haven't been bribed with the concept of "heaven". Doing the right thing is a reason in itself to do the right thing.

The other thing that many religious people don't understand is that at the end of the day (or end of their life), we all have to go to sleep with ourselves and our thoughts. If you're going to bed with guilt, regret, etc. then you're creating your own personal hell. I believe this is what actually keeps most people from doing "bad" things. We all want inner peace whether we believe in some deity or not. What if, when we die, there is no mythical heaven, hell, etc. but when our body dies than the only thing left is our thoughts and emotions? Emotions are often associated with the "soul". If those emotions are those of pain, guilt, regret, etc. and they will echo for eternity than wouldn't that be hell in a way? And what if those feelings are those of pride, love, fulfillment, etc. then we might as well be in heaven. Of course, some people can cheat, steal, murder, rape, lie, etc. with no remorse and still feel great about themselves, those people are also known as sociopaths. Also, some people simply change their beliefs to justify their actions and feel better about themselves rather than going the other way around and changing their actions to fit their core beliefs.

^ This reminds me, there is no mention of the Church of the Universe where the holy sacrament is some awesome excrement.

Yup, I'll go with this.

It kind of boggles my mind when I read/hear about people who think non-religious or atheist people are savage barbarians. In their mind the only thing keeping someone's moral compass pointed in the right direction is the promise of an afterlife reward. As if an atheist could at any time murder, pillage and rape simply because they haven't been bribed with the concept of "heaven". Doing the right thing is a reason in itself to do the right thing.
How do you know what is the right thing? Defined by society? Defined by the group you hang around?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you would be a baseline. Fine tune from there.

Last edited:
^ This reminds me, there is no mention of the Church of the Universe where the holy sacrament is some awesome excrement.

Brothers Walter (rip) & Michael, in their heyday at Guelph's IMICO Abbey.
b52c18b847729cb94d816338ed0d_Content.jpg

Brothers Walter (rip) & Michael, in their heyday at Guelph's IMICO Abbey.
b52c18b847729cb94d816338ed0d_Content.jpg

One of them could easily serve as mayor of Hamilton. A missed opportunity.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you would be a baseline. Fine tune from there.
Fair enough, but what if there is no direct target, like tax evasion or other white collar crime?

The other thing that many religious people don't understand is that at the end of the day (or end of their life), we all have to go to sleep with ourselves and our thoughts. If you're going to bed with guilt, regret, etc. then you're creating your own personal hell. I believe this is what actually keeps most people from doing "bad" things. We all want inner peace whether we believe in some deity or not. What if, when we die, there is no mythical heaven, hell, etc. but when our body dies than the only thing left is our thoughts and emotions? Emotions are often associated with the "soul". If those emotions are those of pain, guilt, regret, etc. and they will echo for eternity than wouldn't that be hell in a way? And what if those feelings are those of pride, love, fulfillment, etc. then we might as well be in heaven. Of course, some people can cheat, steal, murder, rape, lie, etc. with no remorse and still feel great about themselves, those people are also known as sociopaths. Also, some people simply change their beliefs to justify their actions and feel better about themselves rather than going the other way around and changing their actions to fit their core beliefs.
i rate this ^^^

Fair enough, but what if there is no direct target, like tax evasion or other white collar crime?

White collar crime is white collar crime. That can have some pretty nasty aspects to it. Altho you wouldn't think so judging by the lack of convictions. I'll leave it at that for now.
As far as taxes..I'm making this up as I write..we know that some forms of taxation are an unfair money grab, use you're best judgement.

How do you know what is the right thing? Defined by society? Defined by the group you hang around?

I suppose? I don't exactly know where my moral code came from. I guess it's a combination of parenting and the company I keep. Some of it could be subjective but overall I don't think anyone would disagree with what I'd consider "doing the right thing". I would offer some examples but that would make me a grandstanding d-bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate missionaries. It's the ultimate hypocrisy, off to do good for the poor heathens who, to accept the good, will have to sit through a timeshare like brainwashing session designed to inform them of just how bad a choice they made prior to arrival of said missionaries.

White collar crime is white collar crime. That can have some pretty nasty aspects to it. Altho you wouldn't think so judging by the lack of convictions. I'll leave it at that for now.
As far as taxes..I'm making this up as I write..we know that some forms of taxation are an unfair money grab, use you're best judgement.
But have you ever think about something that is borderline immoral? Never been confused?

Don't you guys get tired of this conversation?

Thank goodness March is here

I'm Anglican or United Church by birth,
and Presbyterian by nature. i.e. I have a Calvinistic leaning.

I'm feeling a little lazy right now, so I'll answered your question using the Apostle's Creed:

I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary.
He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and buried.
He descended into Hell.
On the third day he rose again.
He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again to Judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.
Amen.
I'm not surprised at the poll's results so far, from the discussions that have been had here.

Sorry, source I took it from, made some changes. Political Correctness in Religion? c'mon.

Last edited:
what about evolutionist or darwinist? i believe god lives where we don't quite understand... another universe or maybe god is dark matter

But have you ever think about something that is borderline immoral? Never been confused?

I don't really understand the question but I'm pretty sure the answer is out there. Confused? A pound or two.

Back
Top Bottom