visibility at night. ur opinion | GTAMotorcycle.com

visibility at night. ur opinion

stickman88

when night riding, do you think hi vis gear or reflective panels is more beneficial at night. I'm not talking about gear that has both hi vis yellow and reflective panels but just seperately the two And which you think is more effective during night time.

when night riding, do you think hi vis gear or reflective panels is more beneficial at night. I'm not talking about gear that has both hi vis yellow and reflective panels but just seperately the two And which you think is more effective during night time.

Just get loud pipes...that's all you need :p ;)

It depends whether the person running you down has their lights on. :/

Reflective strips worked at a larger distance (if there are lights), bright colours help people spot you in the ditch. I don't think your mutually exclusive question is valid, both help in different situations.

Honestly i don't think it helps much at all.

You have rim tape or reflectors..by the time they're in someone's lights, it's likely too late.

It helps if it's parked somewhere and the lights are off i suppose...

but if you're riding, really, your lights SHOULD be enough... i mean, how much more light can you put on a 2 foot wide vehicle?

The question itself is primarily flawed. The reflective items would work best in an environment with limited lighting, IE county or back road as your reflective items would show up from a greater distance. The hi vis wouldn't be as prominent.

In a urban setting with ambient lighting the Hi vis would be more prominent, but the reflective would also show up in the head lights of the other vehicles on the road.

Best option would be to have both, if possible.

Reflectors are pretty effective in my eyes

Just get loud pipes...that's all you need :p ;)

Or you could go way extreme and get something like this.. although its probably not legal. :D

[video=youtube;Gg_FpxLzx3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg_FpxLzx3g[/video]

Just like those electric scooter/e-bike guys who make no noise in the summer. Oh ya, they're usually hammered too!

what do you mean in the summer? This winter, I think people have officially decided they are four season machines.

If you want to be seen at night the new Macna jackets are the way to go. No idea about their armour or crash durability, but at night you're lit up like a Christmas tree.

[video=youtube;8p6SCkPGd_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p6SCkPGd_M[/video]

I've found that Hi-Viz & Reflective tapes don't do much at night unless there's light shining on them. Now, if you have LED-integrated clothing...

In daylight, Hi-viz helps.

It depends whether the person running you down has their lights on. :/

Reflective strips worked at a larger distance (if there are lights), bright colours help people spot you in the ditch. I don't think your mutually exclusive question is valid, both help in different situations.

That response was excellent/comical.

I tend to go all out for night riding. I have a riding jacket that has reflective strip and reflective piping while the material of the jacket itself is reflective so that the jacket sort of glows. I installed extra led running/brake lights at the rear of my motorcycle and extra led driving lights at the front. If you can't see me at night you are either drunk or brain-dead.

Rim Tape
Construction vest
reflective tape at different places on the bike
STOCK (non modified) TURN SIGNALS!

halo-helmet-band.gif

Last edited:
If you want to be seen at night the new Macna jackets are the way to go. No idea about their armour or crash durability, but at night you're lit up like a Christmas tree.

[video=youtube;8p6SCkPGd_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p6SCkPGd_M[/video]
Wow those really light up

Just like those electric scooter/e-bike guys who make no noise in the summer. Oh ya, they're usually hammered too!
no insurance required on sidewalks. also no other cars.
if you think about it, sidewalks are safer to ride on.

Retroreflective panels are more obvious, at night, as they reflect light directly back at the light source. Large retroreflective panels high up, as in on the rider's jacket or helmet, are very effective. Hi-viz jackets are easily noticed against a dark background, when lit. I would tend to think that hi-viz is more effective, overall. Why limit to one or the other, though, when the combination is both more effective and better in ALL conditions?

Back
Top Bottom