Motorcycle Safety in Toronto - City Council - A no-go plan? Get active! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Safety in Toronto - City Council - A no-go plan? Get active!

Ducati Rules

Site Supporter
Monday 23rd Feb the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee approved a Road Safety Plan for Toronto that ignored an important Vulnerable Road User (VRU) i.e. motorcycles in setting up their Road Safety Task Force. Pedestrians and cyclists were mentioned but not one motorcycle organization was mentioned in the minutes nor any motorcycle organization for their Road Safety Advisory Group tasked to engage key partners to improve road safety. As motorcycle riders are vulnerable especially by car drivers we need representation! For your safety - Get involved or get hurt!

Monday 23rd Feb the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee approved a Road Safety Plan for Toronto that ignored an important Vulnerable Road User (VRU) i.e. motorcycles in setting up their Road Safety Task Force. Pedestrians and cyclists were mentioned but not one motorcycle organization was mentioned in the minutes nor any motorcycle organization for their Road Safety Advisory Group tasked to engage key partners to improve road safety. As motorcycle riders are vulnerable especially by car drivers we need representation! For your safety - Get involved or get hurt!

The announcement:

"In 2014, 51 Torontonians were killed and many more were seriously injured in traffic crashes.The trend is down but we can and must do better, particularly for pedestrians and cyclists, our most vulnerable road users.

Vision Zero is an international road safety initiative that aims to eliminate traffic-related injuries and fatalities. Founded in Sweden in 1997, Vision Zero has been implemented in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and major American cities, including Boston, Seattle and New York.

While Toronto has a number of policies that speak to different aspects of road safety, we lack an overarching umbrella framework that focuses squarely on the issue.

That's why I'm asking for a comprehensive plan to reduce traffic-related deaths and injurieson Toronto's roads. We should learn from the expertise and real world experience of other leading jurisdictions,and the recommendation asks for a review of best practices, including Vision Zero.

The recommendation also asks for a review of existing collision data to inform our approach as well as a robust public consultation strategy, including the creation of a Road Safety Advisory Group to engage key stakeholders."

Motorcycles aren't being ignored. They will be part of the overall plan. They just don't fall into the realm of what the City considers to be the MOST vulnerable road users, and I think this is a realistic assessment.

Interesting.

This was a walk-on brought forward by Councillor Jayne Robinson & backed by Councillor Mary-Margaret McMahon, so clearly it has political support.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2015.PW2.11

I checked out the Vision Zero web site, and it seems to have a focus on reducing vehicular accidents. It doesn't present the pedestrian/cycling bias that the Toronto Councillors included in their recommendations. It doesn't individually reference motorcycles, pedestrians or cyclists.

http://www.visionzeroinitiative.com/en/

I remember reading something somewhere basically saying more motorcycles on the streets = more motorcycle awareness by other drivers = less motorcycle accidents. I'll try and track this down. I think we can use the safety aspect of increased ridership as a way of supporting the fight against charging for parking. It might be a way to link the 2 issues and hopefully swing some political support our way.

I remember reading something somewhere basically saying more motorcycles on the streets = more motorcycle awareness by other drivers = less motorcycle accidents. I'll try and track this down. I think we can use the safety aspect of increased ridership as a way of supporting the fight against charging for parking. It might be a way to link the 2 issues and hopefully swing some political support our way.

Ingenious. I'd like to read that If you can find it Face.

Back
Top Bottom