Does a lounder exhaust save lives? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does a lounder exhaust save lives?

-JERICHO-

Site Supporter
Does noise stimulus aid riders..

I personally believe so. Here is a video I found with some decent thoughts. There are also more arguments in the comments that are pretty good.

[video=youtube;Y_XsRGg_Dus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_XsRGg_Dus[/video]

The number one risk to riders, other than ourselves, is not being seen by other road users. More noise makes us more noticeable and more likely to be seen, therefore it's safer ("saves lives").

Where's the flaw in that rationale?

If loud pipes save lives,then the quieter bikes should be involved in more accidents.Why are goldwings (and other tourers) not in more accidents than the noisy bikes? Or are they?Numbers anyone?

The number one risk to riders, other than ourselves, is not being seen by other road users. More noise makes us more noticeable and more likely to be seen, therefore it's safer ("saves lives").

Where's the flaw in that rationale?

I rode two bikes back to back last year and noticed no noticeable difference of being noticed between the bike with the loud aftermarket exhaust and the stock exhaust equipped 250......

I can't even hear a SS with an M4 exhaust in my blind spot/near me when I have the windows rolled up, AC blowing and music on.

My buddy's been riding with a stock exhaust for the last 9 years, he's actually alive and has had no accidents. :eek:

Last edited:
I can't even hear a SS with an M4 exhaust in my blind spot/near me when I have the windows rolled up, AC blowing and music on.

My buddy's been riding with a stock exhaust for the last 9 years, he's actually alive and has had no accidents. :eek:
Yep. No difference in hearing bikers unless they're in front of me or being annoying on city streets. The guys that set off car alarms with their crappy sounding exhausts are the best and everyone around is looking at them thinking, "What a knob."

My 2 stroke 125 is loud as hell compared to my last bike and it has made zero difference.

So far those of you saying "I cant hear it because of ___" You are only thinking of the scenario where you in a car cannot hear the bike.

I offer you a situation like this..

[video=youtube;tUmWXvaG22Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUmWXvaG22Y[/video]

How can anyone deny that hearing is part of the human ability to detect a threat. If you PERSONALLY are doing things to alter your ability to hear that does not take away from the fact that there are attempts to try and make you hear the bike. Of course I don't condone overly loud pipes, but within reason.

I know there is no lane splitting here, but in CA a louder pipe makes cars move over a little to let you through.. it really does work.

this-is-the-sixth-time-we-have-succesfully-created-this-thread-and-we-have-become-exceedingly-efficient-at-it.jpg

I hate Spacepod. thinks he knows it all but if you actually spoke with in on a forum you quickly realize he's full of ****

So far those of you saying "I cant hear it because of ___" You are only thinking of the scenario where you in a car cannot hear the bike.

How can anyone deny that hearing is part of the human ability to detect a threat. If you PERSONALLY are doing things to alter your ability to hear that does not take away from the fact that there are attempts to try and make you hear the bike. Of course I don't condone overly loud pipes, but within reason.

I know there is no lane splitting here, but in CA a louder pipe makes cars move over a little to let you through.. it really does work.
pedestrian most likely only saw one bike since the bike in front is covering the camera bike from pedestrians view. A second glance would have helped though.

Your making the assumption that the brapping of the throttle on that bike made the pedestrian change his behaviour. If you watch the video VERY closely, he actually reacts to the first bike passing in front of him before the rider hits his throttle.

Having said that, I don't subscribe to the notion of loud pipes saving my life. I rely on MY riding skills to save my life. With so many drivers distracted and focused on other stuff they aren't going to even your pipes as you approach. It is up to the rider to ensure THEIR OWN safety not on some "hope" that another person will react to a noise.

Think of the last time you were driving in the city and suddenly hear a siren. MANY drivers will react by hitting their brakes and take their eyes off the road while spinning their head around to see where the siren is coming from. If they suddenly hear a very loud noise, (pipes), those less skilled may do the same thing.

You say you don't condone obnoxious loud pipes but experience shows that many who have them act obnoxiously with them. What is the sense of having loud pipes unless you plan to ensure EVERYONE can hear you coming? After all if they can't hear you then how are they of any benefit? Circular logic.

If you're concerned about pedestrians, it's why they've made smaller air horns to put on bikes :D

Loud pipes are just that, loud. Only your riding skills and situational awareness will save you.

If loud pipes save lives,then the quieter bikes should be involved in more accidents.Why are goldwings (and other tourers) not in more accidents than the noisy bikes? Or are they?Numbers anyone?
The difference could be so small that you'd need a scientifically controlled study to filter out the signal from the noise (or the noise from all the other factors that influence safety, in this case).

The thing people seem to be saying is that if loud pipes save lives, then we must all get loud pipes to be safe. Of course, one does not follow from the other. Those who use safety as the excuse for their loud pipes are being very selfish, because while it may be true that loud pipes can on occasion maybe save a life in theory, in reality they will always, every time, annoy the hell out of people nearby.

I rode two bikes back to back last year and noticed no noticeable difference of being noticed between the bike with the loud aftermarket exhaust and the stock exhaust equipped 250......
Did you also notice that's like a darksider saying he never noticed anyone crash because of a car tire on a bike, so they're fine?

Hell, I never noticed anything safer about driving with or without an airbag in my car. Yet, I'm safer with. It just takes that one time.

Mods always "Derailing" threads... Get it!....

[video=youtube;2kDORB3vR8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kDORB3vR8s[/video]

Last edited:
Your making the assumption that the brapping of the throttle on that bike made the pedestrian change his behaviour. If you watch the video VERY closely, he actually reacts to the first bike passing in front of him before the rider hits his throttle. I see the pedestrians reaction, but to further postulate what he did or why is all just theory.. does the sound on a muffler help in creating awareness of my presence to other humans operating motor vehicles. I still say of course yes. He most certainly reacted to the "brapping". lol

Having said that, I don't subscribe to the notion of loud pipes saving my life. I rely on MY riding skills to save my life. Of course. Stating the obvious a little maybe. Every biker knows this.

With so many drivers distracted and focused on other stuff they aren't going to even your pipes as you approach. This entire sentence is an assumption. How would you know what others are doing? Or what they can and cannot hear? I hear bikes all the time in all my cars. Makes me want to get on my bike..

It is up to the rider to ensure THEIR OWN safety not on some "hope" that another person will react to a noise. Of course. Again..

I believe any thing that prevents me from becoming a meat pancake (including personal skill) should be used. Including sound. Its not a siren. A siren is a noise that our society reacts to knowing an emergency vehicle is coming. A motorcycle makes a very distinct noise. Unless a person has been hiding in caves, you will know the sound of a motorbike.

Think of the last time you were driving in the city and suddenly hear a siren. MANY drivers will react by hitting their brakes and take their eyes off the road while spinning their head around to see where the siren is coming from. If they suddenly hear a very loud noise, (pipes), those less skilled may do the same thing.

You say you don't condone obnoxious loud pipes but experience shows that many who have them act obnoxiously with them. What is the sense of having loud pipes unless you plan to ensure EVERYONE can hear you coming? After all if they can't hear you then how are they of any benefit? Circular logic.

Nothing circular about it. I just wasn't as precise with a definition because I wasn't expecting nit picking.. I do not condone loud pipes that for example have no cat, or make alterations that remove environmental systems for street use (or no muffler at all). Those things substantially alter the DB level of a exhaust. Everyone does not have to hear you, only the people directly around you in traffic. Also you speak of experience again, and then assert those that "have them" behave a certain way with them. It all just wreaks of bias.

Who's experience? Yours? In your city? In your town? You seem comfortable making assumptions in your arguments, which obviously taints their ability to be logical or free of bias. You also completely ignored my comment about "in CA a louder pipe makes cars move over a little to let you through.." <-- (My feelings)

I just want straight science. Not feelings.

Last edited:
Who's experience? Yours? In your city? In your town? You seem comfortable making assumptions in your arguments, which obviously taints their ability to be logical or free of bias. You also completely ignored my comment about "in CA a louder pipe makes cars move over a little to let you through.."

I just want straight science. Not feelings.
Uhm, that's not scientific! They moved over for me no problem even with a stock silent Tiger 1050.

Uhm, that's not scientific! They moved over for me no problem even with a stock silent Tiger 1050.

I know! I WANT it.. is what I am saying. How can there be nothing done to prove this true or false?? Everything I find is tainted with opinion, and never facts. Its annoying. I know for me once the 404 it saved me. I wouldn't know of other moments, but that one is still with me..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom